Posted By
ronviers
Jul 20, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi,
What is the name for the accumulation of color as watercolors approach edges? This is where there is an increase in saturation as the pigment moves to the low parts of the water. Obviously I am not familiar with painting terminology but maybe someone can help me out. What are either the saturated or unsaturated parts called or the areas of transition? This phenomenon may not even be watercolor specific. It probably occurs in printing with inks and dyes too. I have been referring to it as bleaching and bleeding but I don’t think that properly describes it.

Thanks,
Ron

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

R
Ragnar
Jul 20, 2007
wrote:
Hi,
What is the name for the accumulation of color as watercolors approach edges? This is where there is an increase in saturation as the pigment moves to the low parts of the water. Obviously I am not familiar with painting terminology but maybe someone can help me out. What are either the saturated or unsaturated parts called or the areas of transition? This phenomenon may not even be watercolor specific. It probably occurs in printing with inks and dyes too. I have been referring to it as bleaching and bleeding but I don’t think that properly describes it.

Thanks,
Ron

I am a watercolorist and I am familiar with the effect you describe but am not aware of a recognised name for it.

Are you trying to replicate the effect in Photoshop? Maybe a different application like Painter would be easier.

R
R
ronviers
Jul 20, 2007
On Jul 20, 3:42 am, "Ragnar" wrote:

Are you trying to replicate the effect in Photoshop? Maybe a different application like Painter would be easier.

R

Hi R,
I am working in a PS plug-in designed for that kind of thing. It’s premature to say I have completely nailed the effect but I can get pretty close. What I’m looking for now is how to label the controls provided to the user in order to for them to manipulate the effect. For example, ‘Taper Bleed’ could be the name of a control or maybe ‘Bleach Surface’ or ‘Gather Pigment’ or whatever. It would help if the labels made sense. I was hoping there were standard ways to refer to these effects that were readily recognizable to people in the industry but it seems like you would be the one to know.

Thanks for the information,
Ron
R
ronviers
Jul 20, 2007

I am a watercolorist and I am familiar with the effect you describe but am not aware of a recognised name for it.

R

By the way R,
Do you have a URL? I would like to take a look at some of your work.

Thanks,
Ron
R
Ragnar
Jul 20, 2007
wrote:

R

By the way R,
Do you have a URL? I would like to take a look at some of your work.
Thanks,
Ron

Sorry Ron but none of my work has been posted on the web. R
MR
Mike Russell
Jul 20, 2007
wrote in message
Hi,

The darkened saturated effect is often referred to as "edge darkening". http://students.guildhall.smu.edu/~jmarcus/WatercolorEffects .html

Sounds like a cool plugin you’re working on.

Mike Russell – www.curvemeister.com
R
ronviers
Jul 20, 2007
On Jul 20, 7:19 am, "Mike Russell" <
MOVE> wrote:

The darkened saturated effect is often referred to as "edge darkening" .http://students.guildhall.smu.edu/~jmarcus/WatercolorEffect s.html

Sounds like a cool plugin you’re working on.

Mike Russell -www.curvemeister.com

Hi Mike,
This link is exactly what I needed and better than I hoped for. I had not even noticed backrun, flow and color glazing. I am using a Sobel (ish) edge map and offsetting the charcoal and color information but I was offsetting it according to image brightness information not paper texture – which I can easily add. I am getting the edge darkening effect by offsetting (displacing) blurred color information by high pass amount and running that through a spiky tone curve. I can easily simulate attenuation and color glazing because I am working in an HDRI environment. I also did not think about pigment grain but I am already getting something very much like that serendipitously but I had no idea what to call it.

Thanks, if I come up with something worth looking at I will post a link.

Brgds,
Ron
R
ronviers
Jul 26, 2007
Well I said I would post it, so I’m posting it. Here is what I came up with. It needs work, specifically I need to find a way to separate the colors of an image by groups of hues, like skin tone or petals on a flower, not just saturation like I’m using here. If you look under the comments section you will find examples posted that look better than the default lifesaver image – especially look at the full size image of the combine.
While I was at it I went ahead and did a charcoal and chalk one too. It is the second link.

http://www.filterforge.com/filters/3675.html

http://www.filterforge.com/filters/3698.html

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections