MB
Posted By
Mick Brown
Nov 9, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Does anyone know of a plug in for Photoshop for the Graphire 3 to give you more control, I know there is one available for the intuos.

Michael Brown
Melbourne Australia
www.photo.net/photos/mlbrown

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

MC
MArtin Chiselwitt
Nov 9, 2004
Mick Brown wrote:
Does anyone know of a plug in for Photoshop for the Graphire 3 to give you more control, I know there is one available for the intuos.
yes it’s called ‘buying an intuos’…
get it from most good stores…

the graphire is the ‘value end’ of the wacom market. you will not be able to make it any ‘better’ with software.
all you can do is BUY AN INTUOS
B
BobS
Nov 10, 2004
Not to sure about that. I borrowed an older model CalComp 18" graphis tablet ($$$$) a few weeks back and wanted to try it under WinXP. Thought getting a driver for it would be a useless endeavor but I sure was surprised. Seems that CalComp and Wacom were recently sued by the company that wrote/invented WinTab software. Here’s the quote from the CalComp site…

"Recently a patent lawsuit brought by Al Schumer and his company Digitizer Technology Company, LLC against Wacom & LCS/Telegraphics, was settled. There are a number of consequences that affect our industry. As a result of the settlement, the version of the Wintab driver that GTCO CalComp provides for our digitizer products will no longer be available as of October 8, 2004. This means that:

?We will no longer be able to ship the current TabletWorks drivers with the Roll-Up, Super L, AccuTab, DrawingBoard, SummaGrid, or SummaGraphics products.
?We will no longer be able to provide replacement CDs to users who lose their CD or desire to upgrade their Operating System.
?We will no longer host the drivers in our support section on our web site for free download, nor email them.

We regret the difficulty these events have imposed. We do not believe the drivers infringe Mr. Schumer’s patents (US Patent Nos. 5,768,492 and 6,353,433), nonetheless, we are making the changes to drivers to avoid any questions or difficulties for our customers. (Existing End Users are covered under the settlement agreement).

If you need a driver which implements the functionality we are removing from our drivers, then you may want to contact Digitizer Technology Company. DTC provides the Virtual Tablet Interface to users at an additional charge. More information on pricing and licensing can be found at www.vtablet.com. It is unclear whether GTCO CalComp will be able to provide an OEM version of the Virtual Tablet Interface to customers in the future.

More information on drivers options from GTCO CalComp will be posted shortly."

They have software that works with a large majority of tablets at reasonable cost that may be worth looking into. I don’t recall if any Wacom tablets were mentioned since I was only interested in a CalComp at the time.

Info URL’s……

http://www.calcomp.com

http://www.calcomp.com/supportdigitizers.htm

www.vtablet.com

The info is above, now you can do the rest of the legwork….

Bob S.

"MArtin Chiselwitt" wrote in message
Mick Brown wrote:
Does anyone know of a plug in for Photoshop for the Graphire 3 to give
you
more control, I know there is one available for the intuos.

the graphire is the ‘value end’ of the wacom market. you will not be able to make it any ‘better’ with software.
MB
Mick Brown
Nov 10, 2004
Well thanks for that Martin, but I guess I’m going to have to make do with what I got, I am not a graphic artist so I could not justify spending $500 on the tablet.
Mick Brown wrote:
you

K
Kingdom
Nov 10, 2004
"Mick Brown" wrote in
news:SJokd.31471$:

Well thanks for that Martin, but I guess I’m going to have to make do with what I got, I am not a graphic artist so I could not justify spending $500 on the tablet.
Mick Brown wrote:
you

I think if you persavere with you graphire youll be ok, some very expirience artists still use the graphire for a lot of their work, it ideal for traveling with a laptop and personally I have no problem with it at all, It would be nice to have a bigger area to be able use my arm rather than my wrist at times and I need to be carefull for repetative strain but like you I can’t justify the cost for that small gain.

Youth is wasted on the young!
MC
MArtin Chiselwitt
Nov 10, 2004
I think if you persavere with you graphire youll be ok, some very expirience artists still use the graphire for a lot of their work, it ideal for traveling with a laptop and personally I have no problem with it at all, It would be nice to have a bigger area to be able use my arm rather than my wrist at times and I need to be carefull for repetative strain but like you I can’t justify the cost for that small gain.

OK, i did not criticise the graphire as such.
It is perfectly adequate for most purporses.
howerver, i would dispute very much that purchasing an intuos would only provide a ‘samll gain’. That’s patently silly. It’s like comparing a Lada with a Rolls Royce.
I got mine in a local-ads paper for £50. It was in mint condition, it’s superbly responsive, it has acres of space, [but not to much], it is fully customisable per application etc etc.
If you are just looking for a functional tablet, the graphire is fine as is Packard Bell and Genius even.. I have had all those in the past and done reasonable work with them. However, if you are serious about produsing high quality graphics, painful as it may seem, you must invest in good tools. Ultimately, it will pay for itself, many many times over.

btw, i do not work for Wacom!! It is simply one of the smartest things i have ever bought…

my 2 cents… MArt x
MB
Mick Brown
Nov 11, 2004
Actually I have a Genius as well, and there is no comparison to the graphire, it’s far superior (IMO), just a question Marty the graphires that you tested in the past were they the 3 or older versions?

I must say for what I’m using it for its just fine, as I said I’m only doing photo retouching restoration touch ups etc, I’m not artistic enough to do any real art work LOL.

I will also add that I havent actually tried the Intuos, and knowing how impulsive I am, I’m glad I didnt because I would have had to buy it "just because" hehe

King, the 6 x 8 I find is perfect for me, I do use a laptop, so I have used it sitting on the couch but it is also great when hooked up to the 19 inch monitor as well, any bigger would probably been too big for me.

Michael Brown
Melbourne Australia
www.photo.net/photos/mlbrown

I think if you persavere with you graphire youll be ok, some very expirience artists still use the graphire for a lot of their work, it
ideal
for traveling with a laptop and personally I have no problem with it at all, It would be nice to have a bigger area to be able use my arm rather than my wrist at times and I need to be carefull for repetative strain
but
like you I can’t justify the cost for that small gain.

howerver, i would dispute very much that purchasing an intuos would only provide a ‘samll gain’. That’s patently silly. It’s like comparing a Lada with a Rolls Royce.
I got mine in a local-ads paper for
K
Kingdom
Nov 11, 2004
MArtin Chiselwitt wrote in
news:h_rkd.114$:

I got mine in a local-ads paper for
MC
MArtin Chiselwitt
Nov 11, 2004
Yeh if I see one for £50.00 I’ll probably have it too. lol

Ha ha… Just showing you that your dreams can come true mate!!! everything comes to them that waits innit?
x

mart

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections