RH
Posted By
Ryu_Hayabusa
Apr 11, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi. I’m new here. Not sure if this is the right place. For some reason I can’t choose the ‘Save for online use’ option in ‘Save’. Since I work with some internet things I use that the most. I just got done make a image and was going to save it but I couldn’t save it as a .gif file. (I needed it to be transparent.) Please help.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

RL
Robert_Levine
Apr 11, 2004
What version of Photoshop?

Bob
RH
Ryu_Hayabusa
Apr 11, 2004
I have Photoshop 5.5.
RH
Ryu_Hayabusa
Apr 11, 2004
Also, when I try to open a gif file it won’t open. But then I try to open a jpg file it will. ???
RL
Robert_Levine
Apr 11, 2004
Hmmm. Did PS 5.5 have the gif export option?

Bob
P
Phosphor
Apr 11, 2004
Yes, it did, Bob.
RH
Ryu_Hayabusa
Apr 11, 2004
Hey. I was looking throught the photoshop files when I found a folder that said ‘File formats’ or something like that. I opened it up and noticed that some of the file names where names of different file types. I also noticed that the file format for gif was missing. Could that cause the save for web option not work?
RH
Ryu_Hayabusa
Apr 11, 2004
I’ve been able to save them before. I used the saved files for a forum. I have a folder filled with alot of gif files from photoshop. But today I can’t save for web use…
RL
Robert_Levine
Apr 11, 2004
Try file>export>gif 89a (IIRC).

Bob
H
Harald
Apr 11, 2004
wrote:

Hi. I’m new here. Not sure if this is the right place. For some reason I can’t choose the ‘Save for online use’ option in ‘Save’. Since I work with some internet things I use that the most. I just got done make a image and was going to save it but I couldn’t save it as a .gif file. (I needed it to be transparent.) Please help.

That sounds mysterious.
If I recall correctly, saving as a GIF requires copyright fees for the application developer. Are you using a ‘lightversion’ of Photoshop? I am pretty sure that Photoshop 5 was able to save as .gif .

If you choose "save as…" is there also no entry "CompuServe gif" in the format drop-down menu?

You could also save as a .PNG file. This format offers several levels of transparency and is supported by all new browsers.

Regards
Harald
———
RH
Ryu_Hayabusa
Apr 11, 2004
In Photoshop or where all of its files are?
RH
Ryu_Hayabusa
Apr 11, 2004
Ok. I tried it but the I can’t get into export.
RL
Robert_Levine
Apr 11, 2004
Then try trashing your prefs (details in the FAQs). Something is wrong.

Bob
RH
Ryu_Hayabusa
Apr 12, 2004
Delete my prefs? Wouldn’t that mess photoshop up?
H
Harald
Apr 12, 2004
wrote:

I’ve been able to save them before. I used the saved files for a forum. I have a folder filled with alot of gif files from photoshop. But today I can’t save for web use…
Seems very strange to me. I dont know which modes could circumvent saving as a gif. (But my experience is not so big….)
Regards and good luck
Harald
——–
J
Jim
Apr 12, 2004
wrote in message
Delete my prefs? Wouldn’t that mess photoshop up?
No, but it might unmess it.

Jim
RL
Robert_Levine
Apr 12, 2004
No.

Bob

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections