Posted By
Pete_Dustrud
Apr 11, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Dear Fellow Faithful Photoshoppers,

I just can’t figure out what’s going on…after upgrading recently to the new CS version of PS, I was so happy to see the file browser and, as I mentioned in another forum topic, I set forth catloging my images…nice to be able to assign keywords, and even with the limitations of the browser (like having to wait for every keyword or set of same to be written to files), I still thought this was super. A useful function!

But then I opened my program a few days later and all the assigned catagories had dissappeared from the browser list. The only way to get them back was to click through images and notice the keywords re-appearing in the "other keywords" list.

Then, for some strange reason, the program started remembering my catagories and I could view the keywords…for a few days….so I re-catagaorized and added back most keywords to those catagories

Now they are all gone again! And I noticed when I started CS up, the program asked if I wanted to re-configure my gamma, and the program opened as though for the first time – with ALL preferences lost!

I am running under windows xp home on a dell p4 512 meg which presents me with no other problems. So does anyone have any idea on this? Is it a bug with PS-CE? I’m starting to think I spent a $170 to upgrade just for a nifty RAW plug-in and a shadow-highlight function. And isn’t there a list of known bugs for PS?

thanks All!

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

MM
Mick_Murphy
Apr 11, 2004
I don’t know why PS is losing your prefs but it is not a bug in CS. It must be something to do with your specific machine. I have heard it said that shutting down your machine when PS is still running can cause all sorts of problems with prefs files.

In any case, the simple workaround is to back up your prefs files so that, if this happens, you won’t lose your work. The prefs files in XP are in:
Documents and Settings\UserName\Application Data\Adobe\Photoshop\8.0\Adobe Photoshop CS Settings\

Just back up the files to an alternative location. The keywords are stored in a file called Keywords.psp.
PD
Pete_Dustrud
Apr 12, 2004
Hey, thanks, Mick….I think I’ll try that. I guess I’ll just have to back up all the preferences to CS before shutting the machine down every time. I just thought that ADObe would have figured out how to make the program save things as it goes – like most programs do. That way the only thing a person really has to remember is to save the current file before shutting down. But, alas, it’s the price we pay for all the extra goodies.

Now maybe Adobe can add a feature that saves preferences, settings and catagories.
PC
Pierre_Courtejoie
Apr 12, 2004
Pete, indeed, you do have to close the open images, but also to close Photoshop! If I understand your post, you are shutting down the PC with photoshop still running???

If you are closing Photoshop before your shutdown, you should investigate further… a virus, maybe?

Are you using deepfreeze, or a similar program that reverts your computer to a previous state, like the windows XP restoration system?
PD
Pete_Dustrud
Apr 12, 2004
Hi Pierre,

thanks for your interest in this oddity. No, I always shut down everything before shutting down my computer…however, there are times when programs resist being shut down, as in "program is not responding…" I can do some experimenting and see if it’s when that happens that I lose all preferences, etc. Of course, if this is the case and PS will lose all preferences and all browser info on that ONE time that the program shuts down as intended, then I will definitely have to back up before shutting down PS every time just in case that’s the one time it messes up – I suppose.

If this is the case then Adobe really should put out an update that allows users to "save preference – save setting as…" for those unsupported functions in the browser and global settings just as it allows one to "save RAW settings as…" and give it a name in the RAW utility.

Thanks again! Pete
MM
Mick_Murphy
Apr 12, 2004
I agree Pete. I think there should be a facility within the program to back up important prefs files such as Keywords where work could be lost if the file gets corrupted or overwritten.

You need to try to figure out why your prefs files are being lost as this shouldn’t happen. Post back if you figure it out.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections