M
Posted By
Martin
Dec 3, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I was looking at the Computer Arts Magazine web site and saw a download for a program called JPG Cleaner which – as it states removes extra data that is not needed, thereby reducing the size of the jpg file. It states that ‘Programs such as Adobe Photoshop are notorious for writing additional information to an image that is simply unnecessary.’

Could someone please throw light on what this extra unwanted data is?

TIA
Martin

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

JM
Justin Musick
Dec 3, 2003
I love when marketing teams come up with stuff like that and then give no indication of detail.

jM

"Martin" wrote in message
I was looking at the Computer Arts Magazine web site and saw a download
for
a program called JPG Cleaner which – as it states removes extra data that
is
not needed, thereby reducing the size of the jpg file. It states that ‘Programs such as Adobe Photoshop are notorious for writing additional information to an image that is simply unnecessary.’

TIA
Martin

N
nospam
Dec 3, 2003
In article <3fcdfa4f$>, "Martin"
wrote:

I was looking at the Computer Arts Magazine web site and saw a download for a program called JPG Cleaner which – as it states removes extra data that is not needed, thereby reducing the size of the jpg file. It states that ‘Programs such as Adobe Photoshop are notorious for writing additional information to an image that is simply unnecessary.’

It’s total bulls*t. PS adds no *_significant volume_ of data to a JPEG file. What that program probably does is strip out the copyright and other user-entered file data, but of course they don’t want to tell the world that is the singular, trival ‘virtue’ of their little toy hack.

*Two-hundred bytes of ‘extra info’ is nothing today.
T
tacitr
Dec 3, 2003
It states that
‘Programs such as Adobe Photoshop are notorious for writing additional information to an image that is simply unnecessary.’

If you use File->Save As, and you have instructed Photoshop to do so, Photoshop will include a file icon, a file preview, and information such as an ICC color profile to the image.

If you instruct Photoshop not to include this information, or if you use File->Save for Web, Photoshop doesn’t add "extra information" to the file.

Rude T-shirts for a rude age: http://www.villaintees.com Art, literature, shareware, polyamory, kink, and more:
http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
J
JJS
Dec 3, 2003
"Tacit" wrote in message
If you instruct Photoshop not to include this information, or if you use File->Save for Web, Photoshop doesn’t add "extra information" to the file.

True. Save for Web retains the ‘marked’ copyright in JPEG files, but it adds nothing to the file size.
(Save for Web/JPEG retains nothing _but_ the copyright. No other user data is kept that one can see.)
S
saswss
Dec 3, 2003
In article ,
(Tacit) writes:

If you use File->Save As, and you have instructed Photoshop to do so, Photoshop will include a file icon, a file preview, and information such as an ICC color profile to the image.

File->Save As always includes XMP data containing many strings of blanks. If these blanks have any use, I sure don’t know what it is.

Warren S. Sarle SAS Institute Inc. The opinions expressed here SAS Campus Drive are mine and not necessarily
(919) 677-8000 Cary, NC 27513, USA those of SAS Institute.
IF
Ian Firth
Dec 4, 2003
In article ,
says…

This also causes the known bug viewing the image in Internet Explorer.

Info below…
http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=003j8d

Regards,
Ian Firth
R
Rick
Dec 4, 2003
"Ian Firth" wrote in message
In article ,
says…

This also causes the known bug viewing the image in Internet Explorer.
Info below…
http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=003j8d

Thanks for the link, Ian. It’s a long message thread, to save people some time a fix is listed at the bottom (this problem is limited to IE6 SP1).

WinXP/2K/NT4SP6a users should check their version of
MSHTML.DLL, if it’s lower than 6.0.2800.1240 then you
need the fix. If it’s that version or higher then you don’t.

Rick
IF
Ian Firth
Dec 5, 2003
In article <bqmkf1$255sqe$
says…

Thanks for the link, Ian. It’s a long message thread, to save people some time a fix is listed at the bottom (this problem is limited to IE6 SP1).

Thanks for the reply Rick, I hadn’t followed up on that thread in quite a while, and now I have a fix 🙂

Regards,
Ian Firth

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections