D
Posted By
Doc
Jun 23, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I recently tried a plugin that corrects the color of the photo by looking at the white or grey areas of the photo and then proceeds from there to color correct. Is there a way to do this in PS7 as I am having good success with this plugin and was wondering if there is way to accomplish this in PS Thanks in advance for any advice
Greg

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

DM
dave milbut
Jun 25, 2003
That looks like a good tutorial stroker. I need work on my "curves" handling. Thanks.
F
fred
Jun 26, 2003
Go to image/ adjustments/ levels/and the choose an eyedropper tool from the bottom righthand side, I think this will do what you want. "Doc" wrote in message
I recently tried a plugin that corrects the color of the photo by looking
at
the white or grey areas of the photo and then proceeds from there to color correct. Is there a way to do this in PS7 as I am having good success
with
this plugin and was wondering if there is way to accomplish this in PS Thanks in advance for any advice
Greg

VH
victor_harder
Oct 21, 2003
I’m finding that the image in the view finder of my camera is fine, but the same image on my monitor needs a lot of adjustment to get it to look proper. Images almost always have a green cast to them, ie. browns start to look olive and purples start to look bright blue, etc. My photos generally don’t get printed, but go on the web for eBay etc. I’d really like to save editting time.

Camera is a Kodak DX 3215, Photoshop Elements 2 for Macintosh, Mac OS -X. I usually set the quality to ’email’ because I usually have to ‘save for the web’ anyway. I haven’t found anything in the forum. Could somebody please point me in the right direction.
Thanks
BH
Beth_Haney
Oct 21, 2003
Elements is a color managed program, and most other viewers aren’t. There are two common reasons why colors appear differently in Elements. One is the issue of monitor calibration, and the other is EXIF color information imbedded in an image file by a camera. I don’t know enough about your camera model to know if the EXIF info would be an issue or not. There is an "Ignore EXIF" plugin available. The monitor calibration would be done through your OS. If you haven’t calibrated the monitor, you might want to try that first.
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Oct 21, 2003
To calibrate go to System Prefs>Displays>Color>Calibrate>Expert mode. Just follow the onscreen directions. It’s pretty easy and doesn’t take more than a few minutes. When you are done, name the profile and save it.

You can always change it back again if you don’t like it when you’re done. (BTW, if you have an LCD monitor, you should set the gamma up to around 2.2, despite the fact that it says "PC native." That’s the native gamma for LCD screens.
PM
Paul_Marten
Oct 22, 2003
I’m new here and not at all an expert on computers. The problem I am having is that when I open up pics in Elements, either from file or my camera, They open with a pink tint. I can’t correct any defects in the photo’s as I can not see then in their natural state. Any help on what I am doing wrong, would be appreciated
Paul
KW
Kyle_White
Oct 22, 2003
Ah, yes. The "Pink Picture Syndrome".

Paul, other than the Colour Management tips you’ll find scattered about the forum, you probably also need the "Ingore EXIF Colour Space Utilities" which can be found here:

<http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/main.html>

Go to Photoshop Elements and select your platform. The "Ignore EXIF Colour Space Utilities" are in the "Updates/Programs" part of the list.

Between calibrating your monitor and the "Ignore EXIF", you should wind up in fine shape.

HTH

Kyle
VH
victor_harder
Oct 24, 2003
Thanks Beth for the reminder to set my monitor in ‘System preferences’. Especially the comment about PC Native. Mac LCD monitors have a tendency to be brighter than PC monitors and that adjustment helps. Some playing around, checking my camera, and remembering picture taking knowledge from film cameras and I realized that my ‘green cast’ to my photos was largely due to flouresent lighting – even worse with digital than with film. Now its off to talk to a couple of proffesional phtogs. regarding my lighting.
Vic.
SS
Susan_S.
Oct 24, 2003
Vic – depending on the options in the camera that you have, correctly setting the white balance should help with the green cast from fluoro lights – on my Canon the auto white balance does a less good job than setting it to fluoro or setting up a custom white balance. Of course where you have a mixed lighting situation (eg I have fluoro in my kitchen and incandescent in the family room that opens into it) it gets fairly hard to correct without adversely affecting the rest of the picture.
Susan S.
PM
Paul_Marten
Oct 28, 2003
Thanks Kyle. I downloaded EXIF and I and recalibrated my monitor. Between the two, I have gotten rid of the "Pink Picture Syndrome"
I’m sure as I get deeper into this program, I will have more questions. It’s good to know that there are people in here that can help me.

Paul
KW
Kyle_White
Oct 28, 2003
Any time Paul. I’ve gotten a heap of help around here. I even keep a file of snippets when somebody gives instructions on something neat/useful/helpful. It’s already about 36KBytes long – as a flat text file!

Have fun 🙂

Kyle
JA
Jack Arnold
Jan 24, 2005
I shoot people’s artwork for reproductions and portfolios. I include a color swatch and grey step in the image, so that I can color correct the scans in photoshop before printing. I set my levels eyedroppers on the grey step, but otherwise use my eye to get the color swatches right. Is there a way i can use the eyedroper technique, or something like it, to click on the color swatches to quickly achieve a more reliable color balance?

thanks
D
Dig
Jun 10, 2005
I have just taken some photos unfortunately under florescent lighting. I set the white balance and even used the flash for a couple of photos but alas I have some of that green tint in a couple of places.

I am using cs and wonder what is the best way to remove the green and make the picture as natural a possible?

Thanks
MW
Michael_Walton
Jun 11, 2005
we got a new d70 camer. it works great but our photog is still with it.

he took some good shots today but didnt know how to use it fully.

so now i need to do some color correction or whatever it is i can do. mainly some of the shots did not have a flash. they are not too darl; but what they really are is the wrong color temp. some are reddish or kind of orangy.

so can someone tell me if its possible to fix these kind of errors in photoshop CS. any help is appreciated. thanks.
J
Jim
Jun 11, 2005
wrote in message
we got a new d70 camer. it works great but our photog is still with it.
he took some good shots today but didnt know how to use it fully.
so now i need to do some color correction or whatever it is i can do.
mainly some of the shots did not have a flash. they are not too darl; but what they really are is the wrong color temp. some are reddish or kind of orangy.
so can someone tell me if its possible to fix these kind of errors in
photoshop CS. any help is appreciated. thanks.
Set the color balance on the D70 to Auto.

Use the color balance tab in PS and work on reducing the red cast. Jim
C
Curvemeister
Jun 11, 2005
The images can be improved using curves. Resize them down and some of us will take a crack at it.

Mike Russell
MW
Michael_Walton
Jun 11, 2005
ok thanks. i appreciate it. by re-size down, do you mean make them 72 dpi or in dimensions.

BTW – i need to keep them large and at 300 dpi because they will actually be used for a magazine.

thanks.
TI
Thomas_Ireland
Jun 11, 2005
I think what Michael means is to make a copy at a smaller size and post them where we can get at them to try our hand at them.

Try Pixentral.com
MV
Mathias_Vejerslev
Jun 11, 2005
Image>Adjust>Auto Color is probably a good starting point (also available through Levels adjustment layer>Options).

You can also make a new Levels adjustment layer and use the gray eyedropper to click on what is supposed to be a neutral color in the image.

What you want to do in the future though is to shoot RAW format. Photoshop can open these, and then you can apply any color temperature to the image with no loss.
B
Bob48
Dec 22, 2006
Is there a universal color correction level that works well for most photos. I am color blind and hesitant about trying to correct color levels. Any ideas
T
Talker
Dec 22, 2006
On Fri, 22 Dec 2006 16:44:27 -0500, "Bob48" wrote:

Is there a universal color correction level that works well for most photos. I am color blind and hesitant about trying to correct color levels. Any ideas

No, I don’t think there is Bob. The reason is that there are too many variables for a one click, fix-all filter. I have many filters installed, and none of them do the job consistantly. I’ve had to use multiple filters, as well as manual adjustments on most pictures. I can understand the problems you have with being color blind. I was tested in high school for color blindness, and was found to not have it. I was told that 90% of all men are color blind to some extent, and being an electronics major, we were all tested, since color coding is an important part of electronics.
Sorry that I can’t be more positive Bob, but I’m afraid that there’s nothing that can do what you want. Maybe someone else knows of software that can do this, but I haven’t found any yet.

Talker
MH
Mike Hyndman
Dec 23, 2006
"Bob48" wrote in message
Bob,

I am sure I read of someone on the Adobeforum who had a similar problem to the one you describe, but I have been unable to find the relevant post. I think it involved creating a custom palette but I could be wrong. I would post your question there. http://www.adobeforums.com and register with the Photoshop forum (free) It will be seen by everyone from Adobe programmers to German colour scientists.

HTH

MH
MT
mark.thomas.7
Dec 23, 2006
Bob48 wrote:

Do a Google for ICorrect and Color Pilot.

I use ICorrect frequently if I have no-one to check my work.. (O;

…haven’t had time or need to investigate Color Pilot.
E
emilianochaparro
Jan 29, 2007
like to know where can i find the best plug in for color correct my picures in photoshop cs in windows
DM
dave_milbut
Jan 29, 2007
are you sure you want a plug in? this is one of photoshop’s main functions. there’s a slew of tools for this. start with the image adjustments menu and check out levels, curves, brightness/contrast, hue/saturation, etc. read the manual and play with each function. there’s even a couple of one click options in there "auto-color correction" being one…
P
PeterK.
Jan 30, 2007
Heh! That’s like saying "i want to drive my car down the highway, what tow-truck should I use to pull it?" You’ve got the car! (photoshop)
C
Clyde
Feb 4, 2007
wrote:
like to know where can i find the best plug in for color correct my picures in photoshop cs in windows

Yes, Photoshop has those tools to do it, but they don’t give you a lot of help. I use Curvemeister for all my color correcting:

http://curvemeister.com/

One thing it gives me is the ability to find and pin the highlight, shadow, and a neutral spot. It is MUCH easier and faster than in Photoshop. Of course, you may not have a true neutral in your photo, so…

It also lets me pin a custom color to a spot in the picture. This allows me to use custom colors that I can correct to during the editing. I have a couple of cards with paint chips on them that the author scanned in and made pins for them. I take a picture at any scene with one or both of those cards in there. When I edit in Photoshop, I can pin those to the pictures of the paint chips to create a custom curve for that scene and light and WB setting. I save that curve and apply it to all the pictures taken in that scene. Just like that I get easy, fast, and accurate color correction.

Curvemeister also lets me correct colors in LAB mode, even though the picture is in RGB or some other mode. This gives me color correction abilities in LAB that you just can’t get in any other mode.

To me having to go back to using Photoshop’s native Curves and other color correction tools is a big pain. Most of them rely on my eye as the deciding sensor and that just isn’t very accurate.

I would NEVER edit photos in Photoshop without Curvemeister. I HIGHLY recommend it.

Clyde
R
rdoc2
Nov 9, 2007
I have set 3 eyedropper points in CS3 for color correction and the results look good. How do I remove the 3 eye dropper points (1, 2, 3,) from the master photo. Thanks
A
Alex
Nov 9, 2007
"Gary F. Pitel" wrote:
I have set 3 eyedropper points in CS3 for color correction and the results look good. How do I remove the 3 eye dropper points (1, 2, 3,) from the master photo. Thanks

First of all: the points do not print.

To remove them: hold down Alt + Shift, hover above the points, and click the left mouse button.
Greetings, Alex
R
rdoc2
Nov 9, 2007
Alex wrote:
"Gary F. Pitel" wrote:

First of all: the points do not print.

To remove them: hold down Alt + Shift, hover above the points, and click the left mouse button.
Greetings, Alex
Thanks you help worked great, it is appreciated.
PT
PATRICIA_TOWNSEND
Feb 17, 2009
I would like to have help in restoring the color in this photo.I’m using cs3. I’ve tried different things but dont like the results.Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you
< http://www.pixentral.com/show.php?picture=15LCnqqHzuk2qttZqN HKlNWhPPud4>
RB
Robert_Barnett
Feb 17, 2009
I would start by going in to Image > Adjustments > Shadows and Highlights. I would click on the show more options check box. I would then dial down the Shadows sliders to 0 and set the highlights sliders to something like 30, 50 and 30. I would then do an auto color and then Edit > Fade and reduce the auto color by 50%. Finally I would go in to hue/Saturation under Image > Adjustments and up the master saturation to +20 and up the red saturation by +10. This will over saturate the basket ball in the image so I would then take the sponge tool set to desaturate and an amount of 50% and a small brush and reduce the saturation of the ball down until it looks more natural. Finally I would duplicat the image layer and change the one on top to multiply mode and opacity of 25%.

A lot of this you can do with adjustment layers if you wanted. But the above would be my quick and dirty method. Your milage and taste may very.

Robert
NM
norman_mcdonald
Feb 17, 2009
Now, I don’t know what you have already tried, and I certainly do not know what the colours in your image should be like, but I do know that the major problem is a very strong cyan cast present.
Photoshop has a one click wonder that will cure that problem, and as is so often the case with PS, it is achieved by using the " wrong" tool.

Open your image, go image>adjustments>match colour.

Do not play with the colours………..simply put a check in the "neutralize" box………that may be all you need to do.
RK
Rob_Keijzer
Feb 17, 2009
Patricia,

Start with adding some green.

Rob
JR
John_R_Nielsen
Feb 18, 2009
My $0.02:

Yes there’s a Cyan cast, but therer’s also a Blue cast.

Add a Levels Adjustment Layer. In the Adjustment dialog, go to the Red channel, and drag the middle slider slightly to the left. Go to the Blue channel, and drag the middle slider a little further to the right.
BL
Bill_Lamp
Feb 20, 2009
Scan it with VueScan and use the restoration filter check boxes for a starting point?

That is what I do as I bring the old scanned pictures/negatives/slides into the computer.

www.hamrick.com

Bill, who has no connection with the company, any software store, etc. unless it is hidden in my 4 something or other "retirement" thing.
PT
PATRICIA_TOWNSEND
Feb 21, 2009
Robert thank you so much for taking the time to explain this to me.I did what u said and it was much much better.I’m using this photo to learn with as well as trying to satisfy customer. Thanks again
I will use this in the future!
PT
PATRICIA_TOWNSEND
Feb 21, 2009
Norman, that is a quick fix. I had never used that tool before. Thank you so much for that info.
PT
PATRICIA_TOWNSEND
Feb 21, 2009
J Maloney, Thank you for that tutorial on corecting color.I havent had time to go over it yet but i will. It looks like great info. Thanks you so much
PT
PATRICIA_TOWNSEND
Feb 21, 2009
John your 2cents worth means a lot to me.I’m playing around with your info at this time and it is working for this photo. Thanks for your time.I cant work on this as often as i like but this forum has helped me so much.
P
pfigen
Feb 22, 2009
The Highlight/Shadow recommendation is a great start, but I would not avoid the shadow part of it. There is some exploitable shadow detail there to help the contrast. Make sure you dial the Color Correction aspect down, as the +20 default adds too much saturation.

After that use Curves to set reasonable values for known highlight, shadow and midtone points. This image has all three. The image will start coming into line very quickly. This is color correction 101 really.

To take it step further, convert a copy to Lab and do a Curves "a" and "b" channel move to get the fleshtones nice and rich, and while your at it, you might take advantage of Lab’s steeper gamma curve to pull a tad more shadow detail with H/S.

Convert back to RGB, drag on top of your original corrected RGB and decide how much of the Lab correction to blend in.
TF
Terri_Foster
Feb 22, 2009
Since you have CS3, have you thought about opening it in Camera Raw?

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections