Posted By
Dave The Brain
Oct 29, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi all!

Recently we had some photographs we wanted to edit for our annual conference. I was asked to sort it out. After a bit I found we had Photoshop on the system.

I have never used Photoshop, but eventually got the hang of shrinking images, saving them as different formats. Seeing this, my boss got over enthusiastic. I had shrunk down a map showing the location of the conference hotel. My boss thought it would be a brilliant idea to put markers on the map indicating where the other hotel and locations were. Then add a list on the map showing what each marker represented (1: Hotel A, 2: Hotel B, 3 Conference Hall, etc.

This is where I ran into trouble. Mostly by guesswork I managed to hack a white square area in one corner then use the type tool to type over it. . I then hacked little squares out of the map picture and typed numbers indicating the places into the squares.

The results were patchy. when my boss wanted the numbers enlarged and the map key white text on black, I pretty much collapsed in a heap.

Can anyone tell me how I could have a) done these things and b) done them better?

Cheers
David

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

GJ
Geoff Jackson
Oct 29, 2004
Hi all!

Recently we had some photographs we wanted to edit for our annual conference. I was asked to sort it out. After a bit I found we had Photoshop on the system.

I have never used Photoshop, but eventually got the hang of shrinking images, saving them as different formats. Seeing this, my boss got over enthusiastic. I had shrunk down a map showing the location of the conference hotel. My boss thought it would be a brilliant idea to put markers on the map indicating where the other hotel and locations were. Then add a list on the map showing what each marker represented (1: Hotel A, 2: Hotel B, 3 Conference Hall, etc.

This is where I ran into trouble. Mostly by guesswork I managed to hack a white square area in one corner then use the type tool to type over it. . I then hacked little squares out of the map picture and typed numbers indicating the places into the squares.

The results were patchy. when my boss wanted the numbers enlarged and the map key white text on black, I pretty much collapsed in a heap.
Can anyone tell me how I could have a) done these things and b) done them better?

Cheers
David

You would have been better off using layers. Make a new blank layer for the first white square, copy the layer and move it for the next white square, then put the text for each location on new layers. Save as a psd file and then you can alter it as you please without changing the map on the bottom layer.
If you haven’t used layers before, go to Help in Photoshop (or press F1 ) and search for layers.

Geoff Jackson, Nottingham, UK.

www.gjphoto.f9.co.uk
(Remove the obvious to reply)
C
Corey
Oct 29, 2004
"Geoff Jackson" wrote in message
Hi all!

Cheers
David

You would have been better off using layers. Make a new blank layer for
the
first white square, copy the layer and move it for the next white square, then put the text for each location on new layers. Save as a psd file and then you can alter it as you please without changing the map on the bottom layer.
If you haven’t used layers before, go to Help in Photoshop (or press F1 ) and search for layers.

www.gjphoto.f9.co.uk

Geoff offers sound advice. Be sure to save your work as a PSD file for future editing, but if the image is for use on the Web, you will have to save as a GIF, JPG or PNG. To do this, go to FILE > SAVE FOR WEB. Here you can make adjustments for quality versus file size. Prudent naming conventions for the Web would be use all small case letters and underscores between words, like hotel_map.jpg.

Peadge 🙂
RW
Roger Whitehead
Oct 30, 2004
In article , Dave The Brain
wrote:

If you’ve got a presentation package, such as Microsoft Powerpoint, Corel Presentations or Harvard Graphics, just import the edited map. You can then put the labels on without problem or difficulty.

Why struggle with a program that makes you do somersaults to achieve something that simple?

Roger
B
bagal
Oct 30, 2004
erm – make sure you have the copyright owners permission to tweak maps.

Some map corporations are really a bit touchy about their stuff being used in certain ways

A

"Roger Whitehead" wrote in message
wrote:

If you’ve got a presentation package, such as Microsoft Powerpoint, Corel Presentations or Harvard Graphics, just import the edited map. You can then put the labels on without problem or difficulty.

Why struggle with a program that makes you do somersaults to achieve something that simple?

Roger
DT
Dave The Brain
Oct 30, 2004
Thank you thankyou! I shall look at the help file for ‘layers’ on Monday. Thanks to all for brilliant and most comprehensive advice. I can now return to work and face Photoshop without that personal black cloud following me around any more!

Cheers
Dave

On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 16:51:29 -0700, "Peadge"
wrote:

"Geoff Jackson" wrote in message
Hi all!

Cheers
David

You would have been better off using layers. Make a new blank layer for
the
first white square, copy the layer and move it for the next white square, then put the text for each location on new layers. Save as a psd file and then you can alter it as you please without changing the map on the bottom layer.

www.gjphoto.f9.co.uk

Geoff offers sound advice. Be sure to save your work as a PSD file for future editing, but if the image is for use on the Web, you will have to save as a GIF, JPG or PNG. To do this, go to FILE > SAVE FOR WEB. Here you can make adjustments for quality versus file size. Prudent naming conventions for the Web would be use all small case letters and underscores between words, like hotel_map.jpg.

Peadge 🙂
DT
Dave The Brain
Oct 30, 2004
On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 08:25:58 GMT, Roger Whitehead
wrote:

wrote:

The others at work were talking about Powerpoint and we must have Powerpoint because I have opened Powerpoint attachments on email.

I guess I will struggle with either program as I am only really familiar with standard Office stuff.

Cheers
Dave
DT
Dave The Brain
Oct 30, 2004
Oh yeah, no worries on that score. The hotel sent us a pack of stuff to use in promoting our conference at their hotel.

Cheers
Dave

On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 08:30:25 GMT, "Aerticus"
wrote:

erm – make sure you have the copyright owners permission to tweak maps.
Some map corporations are really a bit touchy about their stuff being used in certain ways

A

"Roger Whitehead" wrote in message
wrote:

Roger
J
jrzyguy
Oct 30, 2004
I was thinking of this earlier in the thread…..many times i will do plot my base map in either corel or photoshop…but when it comes time to add text and labels…i pretty much do that stuff in PPT as that is where it is going to end up….and also the client is able to do some edits themselves if need be.

Also…i wouldn’t be too concerned about "other peoples map" as long as you aren’t going to be publishing this for general consumption. i work for a major investment bank here in NYC….and i cant tell you how often we use other peoples materials…..but since they aren’t being used on the web or for wide distribution…but rather for roadshows or direct pitches to clients….it doesnt seem to be a big issue.
"Dave The Brain" wrote in message
On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 08:25:58 GMT, Roger Whitehead
wrote:

wrote:

The others at work were talking about Powerpoint and we must have Powerpoint because I have opened Powerpoint attachments on email.
I guess I will struggle with either program as I am only really familiar with standard Office stuff.

Cheers
Dave

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections