R
Posted By
Ron
Oct 28, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have been using PS CS most of the day with normal speed. Suddenly, everything went to a crawl. A click on anything takes at least 12 sec to activate. No other programs are open. I closed down and re-booted but it’s still the same story. Is there a cache file I need to clean out or something? Appreciate any help.

Ron

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

D
duckster
Oct 28, 2004
Ron,

When was the last time you ran a virus scan? Also running Spybot to ferret out unwanted adware and other registry changes can work wonders.

HTH,

Kelly Kirsch

"Ron" wrote in message
I have been using PS CS most of the day with normal speed. Suddenly, everything went to a crawl. A click on anything takes at least 12 sec to activate. No other programs are open. I closed down and re-booted but it’s still the same story. Is there a cache file I need to clean out or something? Appreciate any help.

Ron

B
birdman
Oct 28, 2004
There are alot of posts about slow and erratic performance in CS, including mine, which are not clearly answered. I have been running the downloadable demo of CS and comparing the amount of time it takes to do the exact same procedure on the same file in PS7 and CS. In every instance CS is markedly slower and often balky. Changing the scratch file and other settings does not seem to make a difference. Despite its desirable features the performance of CS on my main machine (Athlon 3200 with oodles of 400speed memory and scratch disks on separate hard drives) is so slow and erratic that I am hesitant to upgrade. I presume the problem is Microsoft-style code bloat.
R
Ron
Oct 28, 2004
"bmoag" wrote in message
There are alot of posts about slow and erratic performance in CS,
including
mine, which are not clearly answered. I have been running the downloadable demo of CS and comparing the amount of time it takes to do the exact same procedure on the same file in PS7 and CS. In every instance CS is markedly slower and often balky. Changing the scratch file and other settings does not seem to make a difference. Despite its desirable features the performance of CS on my main machine (Athlon 3200 with oodles of 400speed memory and scratch disks on separate hard drives) is so slow and erratic that I am hesitant to upgrade. I presume the problem is Microsoft-style
code
bloat.

Have you considered that the drive that PS is located on, may be fragmented? Have you tried changing advanced performance settings for memory to be switched from System cache to Programs or vice versa? Have you defragged your Page file recently? There are small apps to do just that. Do you have a lot of third party plug-ins? If so, that can slow down the opening of PS as it searches for them. Are those plug-ins in separate subdirectories? Again, that slows it down. Consider moving all your video ( avi’s if you do DVD work/ stills for PS) to a separate logical drive, or better yet an external FW drive. Do you have any desktop search engines installed like Copernic or Google? They do indexing of files in the background and that can make things come to a crawl, not to mention that just having them loaded takes up a lot of system ram. Also, disable fast search under drive properties. This is MS’ indexing of files in the background. Try opening the Task Manager and begin shutting down any User initialized processes(ones with your name beside them), especially those you don’t recognize which can be ad-ware. Then try starting PS. Also, when PS is open, look at Processes under Windows Task Manager. You might be able to discover some app that is stealing CPU cycles away from PS. Close that down if it’s not system critical. There are even small apps that will defrag your system memory "on the fly" and will usually have a button to "Free up memory". Also, shutdown your AV is you have one. In the end, regular defragging of your HDD and reorganization of large videos/stills to a separate HDD along with regular spyware checks will help keep PS running smoothly.

Ron
GF
G_F
Oct 29, 2004
May I recall you all that running CS or even PS7 requires that you have at least 2Mb left on your hard disk.
There are no reasons what’s so ever that CS runs slow or slower than other software.
See properties on your root drive where normally CS is intalled and check out the amount of free space
I Hope these can help you.

Regards

G
D
Drifter
Oct 29, 2004
On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 17:54:10 -0700, "Ron" wrote:

I would suggest you try the other things people have suggested (Defrag, spyware scan, check your processes)
In addition do you use CS’s browser? If so you might want to go under File/Browse to open the browser, and then in the browser window go under File/"purge entire cache" and see if that helps.

Something else I have noticed is that if I close PSCS with the browser window open but minimized, it is notably slower to start the next time. I have gotten in the habit of making SURE that the browser window is CLOSED before I shut down Photoshop.

Also, did you possibly hit some key combination that altered or re-sized your image? I did that once too, accidentally hit the combination for a plug-in I had installed. Turned a 10mb image into a 300mb image. As you can imagine, everything suddenly slowed way down <grin>.

Drifter
"I’ve been here, I’ve been there…"
J
JPS
Oct 30, 2004
In message <3tbgd.14784$>,
"bmoag" wrote:

There are alot of posts about slow and erratic performance in CS, including mine, which are not clearly answered. I have been running the downloadable demo of CS and comparing the amount of time it takes to do the exact same procedure on the same file in PS7 and CS. In every instance CS is markedly slower and often balky. Changing the scratch file and other settings does not seem to make a difference. Despite its desirable features the performance of CS on my main machine (Athlon 3200 with oodles of 400speed memory and scratch disks on separate hard drives) is so slow and erratic that I am hesitant to upgrade. I presume the problem is Microsoft-style code bloat.

Do you have the browser open? The browser is a poorly-programmed performance-killing dog, which should only be open when absolutely necessary.

<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
John P Sheehy
<<> <>>< <>>< ><<> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>><

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections