MB
Posted By
Mrs Beeble Brock
Oct 24, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi, is there a way to fill a transparent area by using the patch tool? I can’t seem to get this to work – I’ve deleted a window surround and want to fill the empty parts where the woodwork was previously with the sky and scenery.

I know I can use the clone or healing tool, or even a Smart fill plugin, but I really like the patch tool.

Thanks in advance for any tips.

Jo

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

C
Corey
Oct 24, 2004
You need to make a selection first, and the magic wand may work the best. Select the area and then use the patch tool. I’m guessing you already have a pattern you want to use, right? Of course you could make a selection of an entire new layer CTRL+A and let your other stuff float on top of this layer.

If you have some of this scenery on other layers, you can use the clone tool and check the "use all layers" box.
You can also render clouds in the background by setting your foreground and background color to the blue and white of your choice and then go to Filter
Render > Clouds.

Peadge 🙂

"Mrs Beeble Brock" wrote in message
Hi, is there a way to fill a transparent area by using the patch tool? I can’t seem to get this to work – I’ve deleted a window surround and want to fill the empty parts where the woodwork was previously with the sky and scenery.

I know I can use the clone or healing tool, or even a Smart fill plugin, but I really like the patch tool.

Jo
MB
Mrs Beeble Brock
Oct 24, 2004
Thanks for your reply Peadge. The problem is that when I make a selection over a transparent area, the pixels I drag across with the patch tool don’t take. They sit there for a second and disappear again when I release the mouse button. I’ve since done the job with the healing tool, but the patch tool would have been so much better.

Jo

Peadge wrote:

You need to make a selection first, and the magic wand may work the best. Select the area and then use the patch tool. I’m guessing you already have a pattern you want to use, right? Of course you could make a selection of an entire new layer CTRL+A and let your other stuff float on top of this layer.
If you have some of this scenery on other layers, you can use the clone tool and check the "use all layers" box.
You can also render clouds in the background by setting your foreground and background color to the blue and white of your choice and then go to Filter
Render > Clouds.

Peadge 🙂

Jo

C
Corey
Oct 25, 2004
I wonder if it is because the pattern you want to copy is in a different layer? You could duplicate the file, merge visible or flatten and drag that layer into the original and then use the patch tool.

Peadge 🙂

Thanks for your reply Peadge. The problem is that when I make a selection over a transparent area, the pixels I drag across with the patch tool don’t take. They sit there for a second and disappear again when I release the mouse button. I’ve since done the job with the healing tool, but the patch tool would have been so much better.
Jo

Peadge wrote:

You need to make a selection first, and the magic wand may work the
best.
Select the area and then use the patch tool. I’m guessing you already
have a
pattern you want to use, right? Of course you could make a selection of
an
entire new layer CTRL+A and let your other stuff float on top of this
layer.
If you have some of this scenery on other layers, you can use the clone
tool
and check the "use all layers" box.
You can also render clouds in the background by setting your foreground
and
background color to the blue and white of your choice and then go to
Filter
Render > Clouds.

Peadge 🙂

Jo

MB
Mrs Beeble Brock
Oct 25, 2004
Hi again Peadge, even on an image with only one layer, I still can’t get pixels to patch onto a transparent area of the image. I’ve tried filling the transparent part with white and then patching on top of that but all I get is a very washed out, low opacity version of the source pixels. Is there some setting to adjust transparency or opacity that I’m missing?

Jo

Peadge wrote:
I wonder if it is because the pattern you want to copy is in a different layer? You could duplicate the file, merge visible or flatten and drag that layer into the original and then use the patch tool.

Peadge 🙂

Jo

Peadge wrote:

best.

have a

an

layer.

tool

and

Filter

Render > Clouds.

Peadge 🙂

Jo

C
Corey
Oct 26, 2004
This is from the Photoshop Help file:
To repair an area using sampled pixels:

1.. Select the patch tool .
2.. Do one of the following:
a.. Drag in the image to select the area you want to repair, and select Source in the options bar.
b.. Drag in the image to select the area from which you want to sample, and select Destination in the options bar.
Note: You can also make a selection prior to selecting the patch tool.

3.. To adjust the selection, do one of the following:
a.. Shift-drag in the image to add to the existing selection.
b.. Alt-drag (Windows) or Option-drag (Mac OS) in the image to subtract
from the existing selection.
c.. Alt-Shift-drag (Windows) or Option-Shift-drag (Mac OS) in the image to select an area intersected by the existing selection.
4.. Position the pointer inside the selection, and do one of the
following:
a.. If Source is selected in the options bar, drag the selection border to the area from which you want to sample. When you release the mouse button, the originally selected area is patched with the sampled pixels.
b.. If Destination is selected in the options bar, drag the selection
border to the area you want to patch. When you release the mouse button, the newly selected area is patched with the sampled pixels.
Does that help at all?

Peadge 🙂

Hi again Peadge, even on an image with only one layer, I still can’t get pixels to patch onto a transparent area of the image. I’ve tried filling the transparent part with white and then patching on top of that but all I get is a very washed out, low opacity version of the source pixels. Is there some setting to adjust transparency or opacity that I’m missing?
Jo

Peadge wrote:
I wonder if it is because the pattern you want to copy is in a different layer? You could duplicate the file, merge visible or flatten and drag
that
layer into the original and then use the patch tool.

Peadge 🙂

Jo

Peadge wrote:

best.

have a

an

layer.

tool

and

Filter

Render > Clouds.

Peadge 🙂

Hi, is there a way to fill a transparent area by using the patch tool?
I
can’t seem to get this to work – I’ve deleted a window surround and
want
to fill the empty parts where the woodwork was previously with the sky and scenery.

I know I can use the clone or healing tool, or even a Smart fill
plugin,
but I really like the patch tool.

Jo

MB
Mrs Beeble Brock
Oct 26, 2004
Hi Peadge, yes I had read that very same help file. But it doesn’t mention how to patch into a transparent area, does it?
Cheers,
Jo

Peadge wrote:

a.. Drag in the image to select the area you want to repair, and select Source in the options bar.
b.. Drag in the image to select the area from which you want to sample, and select Destination in the options bar.
b.. Alt-drag (Windows) or Option-drag (Mac OS) in the image to subtract
c.. Alt-Shift-drag (Windows) or Option-Shift-drag (Mac OS) in the image to select an area intersected by the existing selection.
following:
a.. If Source is selected in the options bar, drag the selection border to the area from which you want to sample. When you release the mouse button, the originally selected area is patched with the sampled pixels.
b.. If Destination is selected in the options bar, drag the selection
border to the area you want to patch. When you release the mouse button, the newly selected area is patched with the sampled pixels.
Does that help at all?

Peadge 🙂

Jo

Peadge wrote:

I wonder if it is because the pattern you want to copy is in a different layer? You could duplicate the file, merge visible or flatten and drag

that

Peadge 🙂

Jo

Peadge wrote:

best.

have a

an

layer.

tool

and

Filter

Render > Clouds.

Peadge 🙂

Hi, is there a way to fill a transparent area by using the patch tool?

I

want

to fill the empty parts where the woodwork was previously with the sky and scenery.

plugin,

Jo

C
Corey
Oct 26, 2004
Try filling the transparent area with a color (white) first and then seeing of the patch tool will work.

Peadge 🙂

Hi Peadge, yes I had read that very same help file. But it doesn’t mention how to patch into a transparent area, does it?
Cheers,
Jo

Peadge wrote:

a.. Drag in the image to select the area you want to repair, and
select
Source in the options bar.
b.. Drag in the image to select the area from which you want to
sample,
and select Destination in the options bar.
b.. Alt-drag (Windows) or Option-drag (Mac OS) in the image to
subtract
c.. Alt-Shift-drag (Windows) or Option-Shift-drag (Mac OS) in the
to select an area intersected by the existing selection.
following:
a.. If Source is selected in the options bar, drag the selection
border
to the area from which you want to sample. When you release the mouse button, the originally selected area is patched with the sampled pixels.
b.. If Destination is selected in the options bar, drag the
selection
border to the area you want to patch. When you release the mouse button,
the
newly selected area is patched with the sampled pixels.
Does that help at all?

Peadge 🙂

Jo

Peadge wrote:

I wonder if it is because the pattern you want to copy is in a
different
layer? You could duplicate the file, merge visible or flatten and drag

that

Peadge 🙂

Jo

Peadge wrote:

best.

have a

pattern you want to use, right? Of course you could make a selection
of
an

layer.

If you have some of this scenery on other layers, you can use the
clone
tool

You can also render clouds in the background by setting your
foreground
and

Filter

Render > Clouds.

Peadge 🙂

Hi, is there a way to fill a transparent area by using the patch
tool?
I

want

to fill the empty parts where the woodwork was previously with the
sky
and scenery.

plugin,

Jo

MB
Mrs Beeble Brock
Oct 26, 2004
Nope, nor black either.

Peadge wrote:
Try filling the transparent area with a color (white) first and then seeing of the patch tool will work.

Peadge 🙂

Cheers,
Jo

Peadge wrote:

select

sample,

subtract

following:

border

to the area from which you want to sample. When you release the mouse button, the originally selected area is patched with the sampled pixels.

selection

border to the area you want to patch. When you release the mouse button,

the

Does that help at all?

Peadge 🙂

Jo

Peadge wrote:

different

layer? You could duplicate the file, merge visible or flatten and drag

that

Peadge 🙂

Jo

Peadge wrote:

best.

have a

pattern you want to use, right? Of course you could make a selection

of

an

layer.

clone

tool

foreground

and

Filter

Render > Clouds.

Peadge 🙂

tool?

I

want

sky

and scenery.

plugin,

Jo

C
Corey
Oct 26, 2004
Have you tried using the patch area to create and save a pattern and then using the pattern to "patch" with? Or using a lasso or marquee tool to select an area you want to copy, ALT-dragging the selection with the move tool or copying it into a new layer and cloning parts, or feathering and alt-dragging to copy?

Peadge 🙂

Nope, nor black either.

Peadge wrote:
Try filling the transparent area with a color (white) first and then
seeing
of the patch tool will work.

Peadge 🙂

Cheers,
Jo

Peadge wrote:

select

sample,

Note: You can also make a selection prior to selecting the patch
tool.

subtract

following:

border

to the area from which you want to sample. When you release the mouse button, the originally selected area is patched with the sampled
pixels.

selection

border to the area you want to patch. When you release the mouse
button,
the

Does that help at all?

Peadge 🙂

Hi again Peadge, even on an image with only one layer, I still can’t
get
pixels to patch onto a transparent area of the image. I’ve tried
filling
the transparent part with white and then patching on top of that but
all
I get is a very washed out, low opacity version of the source pixels.
Is
there some setting to adjust transparency or opacity that I’m missing?
Jo

Peadge wrote:

different

layer? You could duplicate the file, merge visible or flatten and
drag
that

Peadge 🙂

Thanks for your reply Peadge. The problem is that when I make a selection over a transparent area, the pixels I drag across with the patch tool don’t take. They sit there for a second and disappear
again
when I release the mouse button. I’ve since done the job with the healing tool, but the patch tool would have been so much better.
Jo

Peadge wrote:

best.

Select the area and then use the patch tool. I’m guessing you
already
have a

pattern you want to use, right? Of course you could make a
selection
of

an

entire new layer CTRL+A and let your other stuff float on top of
this
layer.

clone

tool

foreground

and

background color to the blue and white of your choice and then go
to
Filter

Render > Clouds.

Peadge 🙂

tool?

I

can’t seem to get this to work – I’ve deleted a window surround
and
want

sky

and scenery.

plugin,

Jo

MB
Mrs Beeble Brock
Oct 26, 2004
Other tools work fine – it’s just the patch tool whose pixels won’t "take" on a transparent, white or black area. Very weird indeed. Jo

Peadge wrote:
Have you tried using the patch area to create and save a pattern and then using the pattern to "patch" with? Or using a lasso or marquee tool to select an area you want to copy, ALT-dragging the selection with the move tool or copying it into a new layer and cloning parts, or feathering and alt-dragging to copy?

Peadge 🙂

Nope, nor black either.

Peadge wrote:

Try filling the transparent area with a color (white) first and then

seeing

of the patch tool will work.

Peadge 🙂

Cheers,
Jo

Peadge wrote:

select

sample,

Note: You can also make a selection prior to selecting the patch

tool.

subtract

following:

border

to the area from which you want to sample. When you release the mouse button, the originally selected area is patched with the sampled

pixels.

selection

border to the area you want to patch. When you release the mouse

button,

the

Does that help at all?

Peadge 🙂

Hi again Peadge, even on an image with only one layer, I still can’t

get

pixels to patch onto a transparent area of the image. I’ve tried

filling

the transparent part with white and then patching on top of that but

all

I get is a very washed out, low opacity version of the source pixels.

Is

there some setting to adjust transparency or opacity that I’m missing?
Jo

Peadge wrote:

different

layer? You could duplicate the file, merge visible or flatten and

drag

that

Peadge 🙂

Thanks for your reply Peadge. The problem is that when I make a selection over a transparent area, the pixels I drag across with the patch tool don’t take. They sit there for a second and disappear

again

when I release the mouse button. I’ve since done the job with the healing tool, but the patch tool would have been so much better.
Jo

Peadge wrote:

best.

Select the area and then use the patch tool. I’m guessing you

already

have a

pattern you want to use, right? Of course you could make a

selection

of

an

entire new layer CTRL+A and let your other stuff float on top of

this

layer.

clone

tool

foreground

and

background color to the blue and white of your choice and then go

to

Filter

Render > Clouds.

Peadge 🙂

tool?

I

can’t seem to get this to work – I’ve deleted a window surround

and

want

sky

and scenery.

plugin,

Jo

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections