Oct 23, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
i have two disk, c and d, c is for windows,
so if i install photoshop in d, and any time i have to
format c and re-install windows, does photoshop remains
well working?? or his installation needs also to install files in c with windows??

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

JD
John Doe
Oct 23, 2004
No because some files installed with Photoshop will be and need to be on C. It is best to keep applications on the Windows hard drive and your data files on another one. That away when you have to format and reinstall you don’t have to worry about your data files.

John

"topsecret" wrote in message
well working?? or his installation needs also to install files in c with windows??

SW
Steven Wandy
Oct 23, 2004
It is best to keep applications on the Windows hard drive and your data files on another one.

Not necessarily. When I installed PSCS it suggested (either by the program or something that I read in this group) that it not be installed on the same hard drive where Windows swap file was located (in my case C drive). So I installed all my photo processing programs and image files on a separate drive. However, it is correct that if you needed to reinstall Windows, Photoshop and the vast majority of Windows programs would also have to be reinstalled.
T
Tabasco1
Oct 23, 2004
"topsecret" wrote in message
Yes, files are installed on the C drive even though you selected D as your destination.

If you are formatting and reinstalling enough that it is an issue after you do your next format and install of windows plus your base set of programs create a mirror of the drive to restore from. Even better do consistent backups.

Charles
Torrance, California
http://www.tcpslashipdomains.com Now accepting PayPal
http://www.tcpslaship.com under construction
B4
Bob 4
Oct 23, 2004

Yes, because you need to fill in new registry entries for the program The advantage to doing this is great though. Your Photoshop defaults will remain the same, your option settings will still be there and any plugs filters you installed will still be there, actions you have created, etc.

Best way to set up a new drive is to allocate 8 gig to a C: drive for windows, create more drives for other uses.
I’ve been doing this for a long time now. Motivated by using a lot of cool but pain in the rear video software that I don’t want to re-option.

A major advantage to limiting your windows and related
software to the C: drive and your other stuff elsewhere, is all the fragmentation that comes from windows creating
new files while web cruising doesn’t effect your good software. A defrag of C: is much faster because it is smaller, and none of your other drives need be defragged unless you
actually changed software on them

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections