CS
Posted By
Chris_Schreiner
Apr 6, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Can you scan art into photo shop & turn it into a vectorized picture?

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

ED
Emma_d_Anise
Apr 6, 2004
Um no, or not as easily as you put it, Chris. Unless there’s a magic plug in that I don’t know about, you’ll have to manually trace your artwork to get your vectors.
C
Carl Wiles
Apr 7, 2004
sort of. if you do it by hand you could trace it with th pen tool. a better choice is illustrator and or macromedia flash or freehand wrote in message
Can you scan art into photo shop & turn it into a vectorized picture?
MV
Mathias_Vejerslev
Apr 7, 2004
Not necessarily. Indeed it is possible to vectorize artwork in Photoshop.

Chris, what kind of art are we talking about? Line art, pencil drawings… ?
PC
Pierre_Courtejoie
Apr 7, 2004
I need to check with Future Publishing if I am now the only copyright holder of the tutorial that was published in one of their magazines to see if I can legally post it online…

But it is possible to automate that task to a certain extent in Photoshop… and even in color!
MV
Mathias_Vejerslev
Apr 7, 2004
Pierre,

Check MP…
CS
Chris_Schreiner
Apr 7, 2004
thanks
GD
glen_deman
Apr 7, 2004
I’m curious as to how it’s done. It probably works best with certain kinds of art?
BO
Burton_Ogden
Apr 7, 2004
Chris,

"Can you scan art into Photoshop & turn it into a vectorized picture?"

Yes, you can. I do that frequently. I use the Segmation plug-in for Photoshop <http://www.xaostools.com/products/segmain.html> from Xaos Tools. Segmation is explained in this comprehensive review of Segmation 1.0 <http://tiemdesign.com/reviews/archive/segmation/default.htm>. Here is another review of Xaos Tool’s Segmation < http://www.ephemeralvisions.com/articles/review_segmation.ht ml>.

Because Adobe has for some reason not maintained compatibility with older plug-ins, Segmation may not work with current versions of Photoshop. I keep my Photoshop 5 installed on my system to continue to enjoy my older Photoshop plug-ins. I actually haven’t tried to use Segmation with my Photoshop 7, but somehow I doubt that it would work, and unfortunately Xaos Tools hasn’t developed a later version of Segmation for current Photoshop versions. I personally think that Adobe should make older versions of Photoshop available free-of-charge to current owners of Photoshop to deal with problems of this sort. Of course, backward compatibility would be good, too.

— Burton —
MV
Mathias_Vejerslev
Apr 14, 2004
Finally I am able to post my Vectorize action. See here: Mathias Vejerslev "*VECTORIZE – A quick tutorial" 4/14/04 10:04am </cgi-bin/webx?50>

Mathias

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections