Posted By
brad_nault
Apr 5, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Just started using Photoshop CS.

I am a frequent user of the pen tool to create selections. I draw my shape, then I make selection. In PS 7 this works great, but in CS, it automatically creates a shape layer, and fills it with the forground color. This adds steps to my process, i have to turn the opacity of the fill to 0 so I can see what I’m tracing, then after make selection, I have to reselect the original layer to use the selection, and delete the automatically created shape layer. It’s annoying.

Is there a way to turn off the auto create shape layer feature?

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

JB
Jonathan_Balza
Apr 5, 2004
In the options bar for the pen tool, there are three buttons on the far left. They go in this order:

Shape Layers – Paths – Fill Pixels

Before you start out with the pen tool, click the "Paths" option. It’s a setting that will be remembered.
J
JasonSmith
Apr 5, 2004
"It’s a setting that will be remembered."

Even when you want to use the shape tool to create shapes.
BN
brad_nault
Apr 5, 2004
Great, Thanks.
JB
Jonathan_Balza
Apr 5, 2004
Good point, Jason, I forgot about that.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections