Posted By
Steve Thomas
Oct 20, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi,
As an occasional user, I must apologise if this is rather a simplistic question..but!
I’m trying to bevel & emboss a layer to smarten up a power point presentation. I’ve done it numerous times before, but this time the effect simply does not work on the image. I suspect it’s something to do with a simple setting, but I’ve been all afternoon trying to find it! I can even access it on layers from previous images and have copied the layer and created a new style using that layer, but all to no avail. The image is in RGB mode, and allows me to go through the whole process, but simply doesn’t show up
TIA,
Steve.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

ST
Steve Thomas
Oct 20, 2004
I’ve tried almost every setting I can think of by now, and still I can’t get Bevel and Emboss to show up in any way.
I’ve used new layer and psd. tif and jpeg format, all to no avail.

Steve.
TD
The Doormouse
Oct 20, 2004
"stephent" wrote:

I’ve tried almost every setting I can think of by now, and still I can’t get Bevel and Emboss to show up in any way.
I’ve used new layer and psd. tif and jpeg format, all to no avail.

Do you have a manual? 🙂

The Doormouse

The Doormouse cannot be reached by e-mail without her permission.
K
kundeservice
Oct 20, 2004
In news:c8vdd.277$,
stephent typed:
Hi,
As an occasional user, I must apologise if this is rather a simplistic question..but!
I’m trying to bevel & emboss a layer to smarten up a power point presentation. I’ve done it numerous times before, but this time the effect simply does not work on the image. I suspect it’s something to do with a simple setting, but I’ve been all afternoon trying to find it!
I can even access it on layers from previous images and have copied the layer and created a new style using that layer, but all to no avail.
The image is in RGB mode, and allows me to go through the whole process, but simply doesn’t show up
TIA,
Steve.

http://www.arraich.com/effects1/bevelandemboss.htm

– Trude
When you point your finger ’cause your plan fell through you’ve got three more fingers pointing back at you.
– Dire Straits, Making movies
ST
Steve Thomas
Oct 21, 2004
Of course, It’s in the cupboard with the rat poison! ;0)
ST
Steve Thomas
Oct 21, 2004
Thanks for that, although I don’t have a problem with adjusting any of the settings. It’s simply that when I go through all the processes described and click ok – no style shows up on the layer. This applies to all styles, not just b&e.
Show styles is checked and I’ve tried a variety of formats?

Thanks again,
Steve.
I
Ian
Oct 21, 2004
"stephent" wrote in message
Of course, It’s in the cupboard with the rat poison! ;0)
First kill the rats, or find a new home for them with a caring, sharing, non-rodentist family, then retrieve the manual, then look up layer style options.

But my guess is that the Highlight and Shadow Modes aren’t set right for the object, just to try and narrow this down a bit try-

File > New make your image, say 300×300, Mode RGB Color, in the Contents section at the bottom, make sure Transparent is selected. Draw a rectangular Marquee so you still see some of the background, fill the selection grey.

Now select Add a Layer Style > Bevel & Emboss, shift the dialog box so that you can see some of the image, use these settings –

Style = Inner Bevel
Technique = Smooth
Depth = 100%
Direction = Whatever
Size = 10px
Soften = 5px
Altitude = 30
Highlight Mode = Screen or Lighten (select white as the colour by double clicking in the box)
Opacity = 75%
Shadow mode = Color Burn (select black as the colour)
Opacity = 75%

The Contours section and Anti-aliased are up to you, and the Global light needs another post.

Does that work?

Cheers
Ian
K
kundeservice
Oct 21, 2004
In news:cGJdd.38$,
stephent typed:
Thanks for that, although I don’t have a problem with adjusting any of the settings. It’s simply that when I go through all the processes described and click ok – no style shows up on the layer. This applies to all styles, not just b&e.
Show styles is checked and I’ve tried a variety of formats?
Thanks again,
Steve.

It would be useful to know which version of Photoshop you are using.

For me this would work:
Click on Window in the menu.
Open the Layers box by selecting "show layers". If it says "hide layers", you already have the layers box open.
In the layers box, right-click the layer of your choice. Select Effects.
A popup window opens, named Effects.
Press CTRL + 5

Or:

Click on Layer in the menu.
Scroll down to Effects ->
Go out in the new box and down to Bevel & Emboss.
Click.

– Trude
They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half as bad as a lot of ignorance. – Terry Pratchett
(Equal Rites)
ST
Steve Thomas
Oct 21, 2004
Thanks Ian, I appreciate your advice. I don’t think it was the settings, this is what I eventually did. Again I’m sorry if it’s blatantly obvious to you, but as an occasional user – it wasn’t to me!!

I was importing/opening files, (they were in various formats), then creating a new layer and trying to B& E the whole layer, to get the image to appear ‘raised’ off the screen. No matter what I did – no style would show up. I eventually simply used; duplicate layer, then added a style to that, deleted the original and it was fine.
As I say, it may be simple, but I don’t remember having to do that before??

Thanks again,
Steve.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections