G
Posted By
Glenis
Feb 17, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I opened the same JPG image in 3 different graphics apps and saved it in various formats.
Here’s what I found:

Original JPG size: 1033kb

Photoshop CS2
Saved as PNG. Size: 2102kb
Saved as TIFF. Size: 5648kb

Photoshop 7
Saved as PNG. Size: 2226kb
Saved as TIFF. Size: 7485kb

Paint Shop Pro 8
Saved as PNG. Size: 2207kb
Saved as TIFF. Size: 5627kb

All PNGs were saved as non-interlaced & non-optimized All TIFFs were saved as uncompressed

Could someone explain this

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

T
Tacit
Feb 17, 2007
In article <45d7482b$0$8750$>,
Glenis wrote:

Photoshop CS2

Photoshop 7

Paint Shop Pro 8

All PNGs were saved as non-interlaced & non-optimized All TIFFs were saved as uncompressed

Looks like one of the TIFs was saved with layers.

Also, Photoshop will, unless you specify otherwise, save files with embedded thumbnails, previews, and embedded color profiles. This will make the file size slightly bigger.

Photography, kink, polyamory, shareware, and more: all at http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
G
Glenis
Feb 18, 2007
tacit wrote:
In article <45d7482b$0$8750$>,
Glenis wrote:

Photoshop CS2

Photoshop 7

Paint Shop Pro 8

Looks like one of the TIFs was saved with layers.

Also, Photoshop will, unless you specify otherwise, save files with embedded thumbnails, previews, and embedded color profiles. This will make the file size slightly bigger.

That’s the odd thing. I simply opened the the same JPG file in each app and then saved it to a different format
T
Tacit
Feb 18, 2007
In article <45d797fb$0$8752$>,
Glenis wrote:

That’s the odd thing. I simply opened the the same JPG file in each app and then saved it to a different format

Correct.

By default, if you just install different apps and leave the preferences untouched, they will do different things.

Photoshop, by default, will save a thumbnail, a preview, and a color profile in every file you save. Open a file and save it again in Photoshop, and if it did not have those things to begin with, it will. Hence, its size will increase slightly.

By default, if you save a layered file in Photoshop, then it will also save a composite, flattened copy of the file, increasing its size.

Hence, it pays to look at and understand the preferences of your graphics apps, and to understand which options are appropriate for your needs.

Photography, kink, polyamory, shareware, and more: all at http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
G
Glenis
Feb 18, 2007
OK thanks, I’ll check that out

tacit wrote:
In article <45d797fb$0$8752$>,
Glenis wrote:

Correct.

By default, if you just install different apps and leave the preferences untouched, they will do different things.

Photoshop, by default, will save a thumbnail, a preview, and a color profile in every file you save. Open a file and save it again in Photoshop, and if it did not have those things to begin with, it will. Hence, its size will increase slightly.

By default, if you save a layered file in Photoshop, then it will also save a composite, flattened copy of the file, increasing its size.
Hence, it pays to look at and understand the preferences of your graphics apps, and to understand which options are appropriate for your needs.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections