S
Posted By
Scraphead
Oct 11, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Having a bit of trouble printing out hi-res pics. Could use some tips if possible.
thanks

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

JD
John Doe
Oct 11, 2004
I have this printer. What problems are you having? I generally set my images to the size I want to print and a dpi of 300. I do not recommend Kodak paper with any printer it seems to have real problems with most printers ink including my Epson R200 and Canon i9100. Other than this I have had no problems with any prints.

John

"Scraphead" <Watashee@{deletethis}one.net> wrote in message
Having a bit of trouble printing out hi-res pics. Could use some tips if possible.
thanks

S
Scraphead
Oct 11, 2004
Thanks for replying.
Everything prints fine except for hi-res photos that seem pixilated for some reason.
I have an old hp830 laugher that prints them way better, so it has to be a user error adjustment.
When you print a photo, do you use any of the enhancing features like the vivid photo section, "photo optimizer", or do you just set it for hi quality paper and let it rip? Most of the photos I print are 300dpi if not higher.
I know this is a really good printer so I imagine it’s something I’m not doing correctly. I was hoping there was something that somebody has figured out that makes a difference.
Thanks

"John Doe" wrote in message
I have this printer. What problems are you having? I generally set my
images
to the size I want to print and a dpi of 300. I do not recommend Kodak
paper
with any printer it seems to have real problems with most printers ink including my Epson R200 and Canon i9100. Other than this I have had no problems with any prints.

John

"Scraphead" <Watashee@{deletethis}one.net> wrote in message
thanks

H
Hecate
Oct 11, 2004
On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 11:51:56 -0400, "Scraphead" <Watashee@{deletethis}one.net> wrote:

thanks
What ppi are you using? And what dpi are you printing at? (Note, they are *not* the same thing).

Hecate – The Real One

veni, vidi, reliqui
R
Ryadia_
Oct 12, 2004
Scraphead wrote:

thanks
You need at least a 1200 pixels wide x 1800 pixel long image to print a 6"x4" photo. Unless you care to define the nature of your problem, thats all you’ll get from me.

Ryadia
S
Scraphead
Oct 12, 2004
"Hecate" wrote in message
On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 11:51:56 -0400, "Scraphead" <Watashee@{deletethis}one.net> wrote:

thanks
What ppi are you using? And what dpi are you printing at? (Note, they are *not* the same thing).
I usually set everything at 3-400 ppi and print at the highest resolution. This new printer has a lot more features than my last one, and I’m trying to find out which particular ones work best.
It could be that I need to set up the pics differently. A learning process there, I guess.
S
Scraphead
Oct 12, 2004
"Ryadia" wrote in message
Scraphead wrote:

thanks
You need at least a 1200 pixels wide x 1800 pixel long image to print a 6"x4" photo. Unless you care to define the nature of your problem, thats all you’ll get from me.

Ryadia
The nature of my question was to find someone with the same printer, to compare some notes with about specific issues with it.

Since you posted though, if I have a photo that is 4 x 4.767 inches, and the pixel dimensions are 1200 x 1430, how would you boost that and maintain the size? By raising the ppi, with the resampling box checked? Maybe that is the problem, not enough ppi.
Thanks
R
Ryadia_
Oct 12, 2004
Scraphead wrote:

Scraphead wrote:

thanks

Ryadia

The nature of my question was to find someone with the same printer, to compare some notes with about specific issues with it.

Since you posted though, if I have a photo that is 4 x 4.767 inches, and the pixel dimensions are 1200 x 1430, how would you boost that and maintain the size? By raising the ppi, with the resampling box checked? Maybe that is the problem, not enough ppi.
Thanks
You need to interpolate the image up to the size you need. It seems that you may just be ‘draging’ it up to a larger size. If you do it in 10% steps using bicubic, you can go about 500% up in size before losing noticable resolution and getting jaggy (wobbly?) prints. You might also try out Q print (free demo) and see if this is more to your liking too.
S
Scraphead
Oct 12, 2004
Scraphead wrote:

Scraphead wrote:

Having a bit of trouble printing out hi-res pics. Could use some tips
if
possible.
thanks

Ryadia

Since you posted though, if I have a photo that is 4 x 4.767 inches, and
the
pixel dimensions are 1200 x 1430, how would you boost that and maintain
the
size? By raising the ppi, with the resampling box checked? Maybe that is the problem, not enough ppi.
Thanks
You need to interpolate the image up to the size you need. It seems that you may just be ‘draging’ it up to a larger size. If you do it in 10% steps using bicubic, you can go about 500% up in size before losing noticable resolution and getting jaggy (wobbly?) prints. You might also try out Q print (free demo) and see if this is more to your liking too.

Thanks for the tips. I’m on it.
H
Hecate
Oct 13, 2004
On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 21:41:05 +1000, Ryadia
wrote:

Thanks

You would, I wouldn’t. But then I believe we’ve been there before… 🙂

Hecate – The Real One

veni, vidi, reliqui
CO
Child of EOS
Oct 13, 2004
Hecate wrote:
On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 21:41:05 +1000, Ryadia
wrote:

Thanks

You would, I wouldn’t. But then I believe we’ve been there before… 🙂

Hecate – The Real One

veni, vidi, reliqui

Oh my God… It’s the Hecate again!
H
Hecate
Oct 14, 2004
On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 04:46:24 GMT, Child of EOS
wrote:

LOL! You wouldn’t be a Canon user by any chance? 🙂

Hecate – The Real One

veni, vidi, reliqui
R
Ryadia_
Oct 14, 2004
Hecate wrote:
wrote:

Hecate – The Real One

veni, vidi, reliqui

How in hell did you find that out?
H
Hecate
Oct 15, 2004
On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 11:27:00 +1000, Ryadia
wrote:

Hecate wrote:
wrote:

Hecate – The Real One

veni, vidi, reliqui

How in hell did you find that out?

I think it was the EOS that gave it away.. 😉

Hecate – The Real One

veni, vidi, reliqui

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections