GL
Posted By
Gregory_Lang
Apr 2, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
How about thinking about the customer, that has purchased almost every product, you have produced and many that you let fall by the wayside. Macromedia has given a break to those that own other products and given different levels to move into their studio collection. For your premier and standard editions of CS the upgrade is for anyone who owns Photoshop. I even made the mistake of upgrading to Acrobat Professional last year, so I really come out a loser on that transaction. I already own Illustrator, Golive, Indesign, Photoshop, Acrobat ect. why not give a break to those of us who have been loyal supporters of all your products with a tiered level of prices. Well I feel better for getting that off my chest. Cheers
Greg

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

DM
Don_McCahill
Apr 2, 2004
I wasn’t aware that Adobe didn’t give a break to users of existing software packages. They certainly gave me one. Or do you mean "more" of a break than already exists. Perhaps Adobe could keep track of how many different products each user has, and offer a different break for each … hey, lets add more discounts for those who have held additional prior versions as well … no sense giving the same upgrade to the guy who upgrades from PS 7 as the one who upgrades through every version since 3.5.

No administrative nightmare that I can see in that.
GL
Gregory_Lang
Apr 2, 2004
Sorry Don, your Adobe stock must be clouding your judgment. Macromedia has give upgrades to those that own two or more products and all you had to do was at installation supply the original registration codes. I have ordered upgrades directly from Adobe in the past and had to give my original registration info. All my registrations are stored with Adobe so what is the nightmare in that. Cool Down Kimasabee
wrote in message
I wasn’t aware that Adobe didn’t give a break to users of existing
software packages. They certainly gave me one. Or do you mean "more" of a break than already exists. Perhaps Adobe could keep track of how many different products each user has, and offer a different break for each … hey, lets add more discounts for those who have held additional prior versions as well … no sense giving the same upgrade to the guy who upgrades from PS 7 as the one who upgrades through every version since 3.5.
No administrative nightmare that I can see in that.
RL
Robert_Levine
Apr 2, 2004
You say you’re not happy with the pricing. Perhaps you have a better plan. I’d like to hear it, but please keep in mind the administrative nightmare multiple upgrade paths would create and keep it managable.

Just for reference, I had already upgraded to Acrobat 6 Professsional also and then purchased the CS Standard package even though I already had PS, Ill and ID. I could have gone the individual upgrade route and saved money but I wouldn’t have gotten Version Cue (which to be honest, I haven’t used at all) or the Brioso font package (which is worth the extra few bucks).

Bob
J
JasonSmith
Apr 2, 2004
If you want to compare Macromedia to Adobe, why not compare Quark to Adobe….have you ever had to do Quark’s method of upgrading?
DM
Don_McCahill
Apr 3, 2004
Stock? Me? Damn, I wish I could afford to buy clothes, let alone stocks. I’m just a poor, starving student.
RO
Robert_Oliver
Apr 3, 2004
How about thinking about the customer, that has purchased almost every product, you have produced and many that you let fall by the wayside.

Did the products work and function as advertised? Do you buy software to do work, or in order to get price breaks at a later date?

I own all of U2’s albums and singles, but I bet I won’t get a discount when their next one comes out 🙂

Macromedia has given a break to those that own other products

So has Adobe at times. I’ve benefitted from a variety of promotional pricing over the years because I owned other Adobe software. I got a free copy of Adobe Atmosphere simply because I posted in the Atmosphere user forum. Damn, what an evil company.

I even made the mistake of upgrading to Acrobat Professional last year, so I really come out a loser on that transaction.

Huh? How could you be a loser for buying Acrobat? Does it not work?

I already own Illustrator, Golive, Indesign, Photoshop, Acrobat ect.

So do I. Why does that entitle anyone to huge discounts?

As for Adobe "waking up," the Creative Suite has sold very well, and Adobe has reported record profits for the first quarter of 2004.

< http://www.adobe.com/aboutadobe/pressroom/pressreleases/2004 03/Q104Earnings.html>

If a company is raking in the cash, I don’t think they need a wake up call.
DM
dave_milbut
Apr 3, 2004
All I want is a lousy t-shirt for finding the "dialog box is missing" bug. XD
CK
Christine_Krof_Shock
Apr 3, 2004
What dialog box is missing Dave?????

Hey–Adobe gives great breaks especially to students. If you are a legit student you can get the whole CS Suite for $379.99 and use the software even after you leave school and are making money. Macromedia certainly doesn’t do that, if you want to use their Academic software commerically you pay over full price, and Quark makes you buy the Passport version of the student software, then charges $600.00 to use it "commerically"

Adobe is one of the good ones!

Go stock prices go!!!!!
TM
Terry_Morse
Apr 3, 2004
Here’s another way to think about it:

I bought Adobe PhotoDeluxe 2 many years ago. Shortly thereafter, Adobe gave me a good price on Photoshop LE, which I bought. Then they gave me an offer I couldn’t refuse on Photoshop 6 (50% off), so I bought it. At the same time, they gave me a real deal on GoLive 5, so I bought it, too. Now, I’m into them for upgrades on both products for life. Adobe is going to recoup its investment many times over.

Now, I would love to have InDesign, but there’s absolutely no way I could afford the full price, any more than I could have afforded the full version of Photoshop. If they gave me a break on InDesign, even though it isn’t in the same application domain as PS, I’d be into them for those upgrades for life. Adobe would certainly come out ahead on the deal.

Users of competing publishing software can get reduced prices on InDesign, but not users of unrelated Adobe products. Adobe absolutely has the right to do this, but I’d argue that it would be good business for them to give me a break on InDesign (for example), just as it was for them to give me breaks on Photoshop 6 and GoLive 5.

Terry
DM
dave_milbut
Apr 3, 2004
What dialog box is missing Dave?????

The one in 7 and 6 where if the dialog was off screen (dual monitors, high to low res switch) it was supposed to be forced onto the main workspace available. It wasn’t. There’s a FAQ topic on it.

I hear ya terry, i suggested something similar in the cs forum when it was first released. I called it "cafeteria suites". If you own x # of products you should be able to bundle your own suite of apps that you want. I own premire, illy, after effects and ps. I’d love a premire pro, auditron, golive, illy bundle, for less than the cost of upgrading individual. adobe certainly doesn’t owe it to me, but like you said, with the upgrades over the years, adobe would certainly more than recoup their "loss" on the initial purchase.

<shrug> wishful thinking.
RO
Robert_Oliver
Apr 3, 2004
Users of competing publishing software can get reduced prices on InDesign, but not users of unrelated Adobe products.

PageMaker users get a significant discount if they upgrade to InDesign. I recall getting a good price on LiveMotion because I owned GoLive. Adobe has a current promo for their Video Collection which chops off $200 if you have Premiere, After Effects or Cool Edit Pro. Letting people who only own Photoshop upgrade to the CS packages is an amazing value.

One thing I’ve noticed in various forums is that everyone wants a special deal because of their special circumstances, and apparently none of these people actually think the software is worth the price, and the software that they purchased previously apparently loses all value once others get a cheaper upgrade path (someone explain the logic of that!)

with the upgrades over the years, adobe would certainly more than recoup their "loss" on the initial purchase.

Upgrades are significantly less profitable then full versions, and a company cannot necessarily survive on upgrades alone.
RK
Rob_Keijzer
Apr 3, 2004
I own all of U2’s albums and singles

That’s why they’re so hard to get lately.
M
mehve
Apr 4, 2004
I’ve looked at the threads regarding "dialog box missing" or "dialog box offscreen"… folks have pointed to a FAQ or a FAQ topic. Could somebody please link to where the answer is?

I’m a new user and can’t seem to actually find what I’m looking for. Typing "Adobe Photoshop FAQ" in the search does not get me to where I can even see the answer to the problem of offscreen dialog boxes after moving from two monitors to one…

I’ll keep looking, but I will appreciate a link to where the answers are. I can’t get any work done otherwise and deadline is like… before I pass out (which is I guess in three hours).

Cheers!
+ mehve
M
mehve
Apr 4, 2004
Found it.

Of course it would happen soonest I make a nooB posting.

Cheers!
+ mehve
TM
Terry_Morse
Apr 5, 2004
wrote:
Users of competing publishing software can get reduced prices on InDesign, but not users of unrelated Adobe products.

PageMaker users get a significant discount if they upgrade to InDesign. I recall getting a good price on LiveMotion because I owned GoLive. Adobe has a current promo for their Video Collection which chops off $200 if you have Premiere, After Effects or Cool Edit Pro. Letting people who only own Photoshop upgrade to the CS packages is an amazing value.

As I said (see above), "users of unrelated Adobe products."

One thing I’ve noticed in various forums is that everyone wants a special deal because of their special circumstances, and apparently none of these people actually think the software is worth the price, and the software that they purchased previously apparently loses all value once others get a cheaper upgrade path (someone explain the logic of that!)

with the upgrades over the years, adobe would certainly more than recoup their "loss" on the initial purchase.

Upgrades are significantly less profitable then full versions, and a company cannot necessarily survive on upgrades alone.

If it’s a choice between getting something from me on upgrades vs. nothing from me because I can’t afford the initial purchase price of the full program, how exactly does Adobe lose by giving me a "loyalty discount?"

Terry
DM
dave_milbut
Apr 6, 2004
how exactly does Adobe lose by giving me a "loyalty discount?"

That’s how I feel. Again, we can wish – there’s no harm in letting Adobe know what the users (of multiple Adobe products) think. If more people spoke up, maybe they’d consider it.

For instance, if I had a "loyalty discount" (or whatever), I’d be buying into GoLive and Auditron just to have them around. As it is, I don’t really NEED them, (I’d LIKE them) so I won’t get them.

dave
I
ID._Awe
Apr 6, 2004
Dave: GoLive makes me sick as an app (I do have it, but have not upgraded since 5). Love Dreamweaver to death (although it refuses to die, which is a good thing).
KL
Katherine_Lawson
Apr 6, 2004
I agree about loyalty discounts.

I was lucky with the Creative Suite. I’m not sure that InDesign and Illustrator will be really useful for me, but I felt that I got a good deal by upgrading to Creative Suite Standard at the expense of having any manuals to help me learn those two programs. They were programs I thought I would like to have, but couldn’t afford to buy full versions of, especially when I wasn’t sure that I really needed them.

I couldn’t afford the premium version of CS, especially since I had no need of the other programs, but I thought it would be sort of nice to have the full version of Acrobat just so I could print out things which are in .pdf format.

As it is now, it seems to be impossible to print things using Adobe Reader without wasting tons of ink and paper.

My digital camera came with the full manual only on CD. The pages are a quarter of a page in size, and this size would be convenient for slipping in a camera bag, but I’m not going to print out 238 full sized sheets just because Adobe Reader isn’t intelligent enough to let us print four pages per sheet and turn them into a manual.

It is the same with my computer manual.

I thought that by having InDesign, I would be able to print Acrobat files into book form, but even InDesign doesn’t seem to be able to work with Acrobat files.

I can’t afford the full version of Acrobat just to use to print out things like manuals and tutorials and brochures for camera filters and things I find on the internet. (Which were made to print out, but are either never formatted for standard paper sizes, or, as in the case of several tutorials, are printed on black pages which look nice on the internet, but use too much ink to print without changing the background and print colors). (The tutorials I am speaking about have the permissions set so that it is possible to change them for printing, and so are the brochures).

Not being able to afford the full version of Acrobat is making me search the internet for some kind of a cheaper program which will format Acrobat files for printing.

I’ll feel kind of cheap saying this, since Adobe already made it possible to get two more prgorams I did want, but at the same time, all of these manuals in .pdf format are always frustrating me because they are almost useless if we can’t print them into booklet form without a lot of waste.

Of course, as far as Acrobat goes, they would probably make a lot of money buy making a scaled down version of Acrobat that allows decent printing of manuals for a lower price. Sort of like Photoshop Elements. Something for home users rather than a big commercial program. (Also, it would need to be smart enough to let users print the pages in the right order so that they would make a book, rather than just printing them in order).

I though of that after I started typing this message, which I originally started because I was trying to send the same message about a loyalty upgrade to Acrobat. I don’t really need the full version, I just need something to print .pdf files with, and then I though of Elements, and how Adobe should do something like that with Acrobat.
BO
Burton_Ogden
Apr 6, 2004
Katherine,

The PDF format isn’t meant to be editable. Your best bet is to find a shareware program that will convert PDF to an editable format like RTF or DOC.

— Burton —
KL
Katherine_Lawson
Apr 6, 2004
Thanks Burton, I’ll look for that.

I really thought that there would be a way to print more than one page to a sheet of paper though.

I tried copying and pasting into Photoshop 6.01, but for some reason the pages came out blurred instead of clear, and I couldn’t fix them.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections