ZQ
Posted By
z_q-g.-u
Oct 5, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I continue to flounder trying to edit RAW files in Photoshop CS. My current issue/question is the correct setting of the exposure control. Should I set the control so that the photo looks to be correctly exposed in the preview screen, or should I set it so that none of the color channels are being clipped (at least significantly clipped)? If I do the latter I can end up with some mighty dark images, which normally require more significant editing later in PS. . If I do the former, then one or more colors can be clipped. The clipping is apparent if I open Layers later during editing, but not necessarily in viewing the image.

Adobe Photoshop CS HELP suggests that holding down the ALT key (Windows) or OPTION key (MAC), slide the EXPOSURE control until some clipping is evident, and then back off a bit. Do the same for the SHADOWS control at the other end.

Help/suggestions are requested and will be appreciated.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

N
nomail
Oct 5, 2004
john chapman wrote:

I continue to flounder trying to edit RAW files in Photoshop CS. My current issue/question is the correct setting of the exposure control. Should I set the control so that the photo looks to be correctly exposed in the preview screen, or should I set it so that none of the color channels are being clipped (at least significantly clipped)? If I do the latter I can end up with some mighty dark images, which normally require more significant editing later in PS. . If I do the former, then one or more colors can be clipped. The clipping is apparent if I open Layers later during editing, but not necessarily in viewing the image.

Adobe Photoshop CS HELP suggests that holding down the ALT key (Windows) or OPTION key (MAC), slide the EXPOSURE control until some clipping is evident, and then back off a bit. Do the same for the SHADOWS control at the other end.

You’re doing it the correct way. Avoid clipping using ‘exposure’ and ‘shadows’ and adjust the overal brightness with the ‘brightness’ slider.

Johan W. Elzenga johan<<at>>johanfoto.nl Editor / Photographer http://www.johanfoto.nl/

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections