Posted By
some
Jan 24, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi
I should make a nice transition. In fact one part is in the sunlight and the other in the dark. The background is a grey pattern. So how should I do a nice transition on the grey pattern from the darker to the lighter? Any special functions?
Many thanks
Michael

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

R
ronviers
Jan 24, 2007
On Jan 24, 2:12 am, some wrote:
Hi
I should make a nice transition. In fact one part is in the sunlight and the other in the dark. The background is a grey pattern. So how should I do a nice transition on the grey pattern from the darker to the lighter? Any special functions?
Many thanks
Michael

Hi,
Can you post a screen cap?
Thanks,
Ron
K
KatWoman
Jan 24, 2007
"some" wrote in message
Hi
Many thanks
Michael

sounds like you need a gradient or gradient mask on a layer above the picture
BUT your question is very unclear

are you trying to even out the light to dark areas over the whole photo or just the background??
S
some
Jan 25, 2007
That’s how it looks. I should have a smooth transition on the right side form the shadow into the light panel. I’m not using ps very often so thanks for simple instructions. I will need to cut out the two instruments below as well and have the transition there too.

http://free.pages.at/sgier/Namenlos.jpg

Thanks
R
ronviers
Jan 25, 2007
On Jan 25, 3:44 am, some wrote:
That’s how it looks. I should have a smooth transition on the right side form the shadow into the light panel. I’m not using ps very often so thanks for simple instructions. I will need to cut out the two instruments below as well and have the transition there too.

Thanks

Hi Michael,
Sorry it took so long to look at this but I got my new Stylus today and it has been distracting.
The easiest way I found to do this was to use the ‘Patch Tool’. First I found an area that could be used as the upper half of the dashboard. I chose just between the dark squares. I used the ‘Marquee’ tool to select a rectangular area of good looking plastic then defined that as a patturn – Edit>Define Pattern. Then I used the pen tool, but you can use whatever selection method you are comfortable with to select all of the dash that did not need to be changed. For example I selected the large area with the gauges( not the lower area as it needs a different pattern) then I selected the light and little rivets and subtracted them from the selection. Then with the Patch tool I clicked ‘Destination’ then chose the saved pattern then ‘Use Pattern’ to fill the area. This is a very easy way to get the values to match without using layers or gradient overlays.

Good luck,
Ron
R
ronviers
Jan 25, 2007
On Jan 25, 12:52 pm, "" wrote:
On Jan 25, 3:44 am, some wrote:

ThanksHi Michael,
Sorry it took so long to look at this but I got my new Stylus today and it has been distracting.
The easiest way I found to do this was to use the ‘Patch Tool’. First I found an area that could be used as the upper half of the dashboard. I chose just between the dark squares. I used the ‘Marquee’ tool to select a rectangular area of good looking plastic then defined that as a patturn – Edit>Define Pattern. Then I used the pen tool, but you can use whatever selection method you are comfortable with to select all of the dash that did not need to be changed. For example I selected the large area with the gauges( not the lower area as it needs a different pattern) then I selected the light and little rivets and subtracted them from the selection. Then with the Patch tool I clicked ‘Destination’ then chose the saved pattern then ‘Use Pattern’ to fill the area. This is a very easy way to get the values to match without using layers or gradient overlays.

Good luck,
Ron

I forgot to mention that you should Feather the selection just a bit before using Using the Patch tool.
R
ronviers
Jan 26, 2007
On Jan 26, 10:22 am, some wrote:
Hi Ron
thanks. Could you send me your work?
sgierATdplanetDOTch
Would be very kind.
Regards

Hi Michael,
I posted a copy of what I did here:

http://picasaweb.google.com/ronviers/POC/photo#5024365859312 827570

You can use the Download Photo link to the right to get the image. Obviously I did not spend much time on it – I do not even know if this is what you where trying to do. I understand very well that lots of details need to be cleaned up, I just wanted to show that it could work. To be honest this is not the method I would use because it is destructive in inflexible but it is easy and effective.
I had to get a little tricky to get the texture of the bottom panel to match. If you decide to take this route let me know and I will tell you what I did.

Good luck,
Ron
S
some
Jan 26, 2007
Hi Ron
thanks. Could you send me your work?
sgierATdplanetDOTch
Would be very kind.
Regards
S
some
Jan 27, 2007
Thanks Ron. Great.
This is gonna help me a lot but this is only the right side which has to match with the left side. So your modifications seem to be to dark but anyway I think I can use it and maybe get back to you if I encounter more problems. Thanks again.
Nice gallery.
Regards Michael
R
ronviers
Jan 27, 2007
On Jan 27, 1:51 am, some wrote:
Thanks Ron. Great.
This is gonna help me a lot but this is only the right side which has to match with the left side. So your modifications seem to be to dark but anyway I think I can use it and maybe get back to you if I encounter more problems. Thanks again.
Nice gallery.
Regards Michael

Ok, since it sounds like you may use the Patch Tool method I should tell you what I did to get the bottom panel to tile properly. First use the rectangular Marquee Tool to select an area with good texture and value.
I chose the underneath the red switch plate and below the red shadow. Then copy and paste that selection to a new layer.
Then duplicate that layer and use Transform to flip it horizontally then flip it vertically.
Then on the top copy change the blend mode to Screen with opacity of 100%.
This removes any value gradients from right to left, top to bottom. Then merge these tiles together and select and define them as a new pattern.
Then on a new layer fill a large selection with the new pattern. Then duplicate that layer.
Now on the top layer set the blend mode to Luminosity at 50% opacity. Select the Move Tool and use the arrow keys to move the top layer right and left, up and down until you have a perfectly even (non- repeating value) texture.
Now merge these two layers and define a new pattern from any part. This new pattern can be used to fill any part of the dash with the texture of the lower panel.

This process was unnecessary on the top panel because the pattern source was so consistent.

Btw, if you have any visible tiling imperfections they can be removed using the Spot Healing Brush Tool as long as they are small.

Good luck with your project,
Ron
K
KatWoman
Jan 27, 2007
wrote in message
On Jan 27, 1:51 am, some wrote:
Thanks Ron. Great.
Nice gallery.
Regards Michael

Ok, since it sounds like you may use the Patch Tool method I should tell you what I did to get the bottom panel to tile properly. First use the rectangular Marquee Tool to select an area with good texture and value.
I chose the underneath the red switch plate and below the red shadow. Then copy and paste that selection to a new layer.
Then duplicate that layer and use Transform to flip it horizontally then flip it vertically.
Then on the top copy change the blend mode to Screen with opacity of 100%.
This removes any value gradients from right to left, top to bottom. Then merge these tiles together and select and define them as a new pattern.
Then on a new layer fill a large selection with the new pattern. Then duplicate that layer.
Now on the top layer set the blend mode to Luminosity at 50% opacity. Select the Move Tool and use the arrow keys to move the top layer right and left, up and down until you have a perfectly even (non- repeating value) texture.
Now merge these two layers and define a new pattern from any part. This new pattern can be used to fill any part of the dash with the texture of the lower panel.

This process was unnecessary on the top panel because the pattern source was so consistent.

Btw, if you have any visible tiling imperfections they can be removed using the Spot Healing Brush Tool as long as they are small.
Good luck with your project,
Ron

sure looks like it could use some sharpening on those dials…………..

are you trying to remove the lighting and make it flat lit from the front?? with no grade or shadow??
more like a drawing or cartoon??

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections