Posted By
barry_gray
Mar 31, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hey Hot,
You figured out your "clouds" dilemma yet?

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

DM
dave_milbut
Apr 1, 2004
re: more unique colors = better image.

what if those unique colors are simply noise or artifacts introduced in the editing process somehow? and don’t try to use the chewbacca defense on me neither! basically the answer to your question is no. can’t be done. now we’re all asking "why?" you said you’ve used it for real in the past. are you going to tell us exactly how and why you’ve used it or is it a big secret?

signed,
curious in seattle
BG
barry_gray
Apr 1, 2004
and curious in Colorado
J
JasonSmith
Apr 1, 2004
…and LMAO in Florida.
M
Maryo
Apr 1, 2004
There is a freeware plugin called "Color Counter" that count the colors in a image (for example 441211)…

No idea where I’ve found it, do a google search… It’s CS compatible

Mario
MM
Mac_McDougald
Apr 1, 2004
Tickled in Tennersee.

(and yeah, as Dave suggested, you could add beau coup unique colors to an image by introducing noise and have a much worse looking image)

Mac
HD
hot_denim
Apr 1, 2004
Clouds Dilema

The only way is as I stated in the original posts topic. That is the ONLY way I know and it works very good. I just thought, shame they was not a control to control the size of the clouds, I asked anyway as I could find no direction to give the problem more thought.
HD
hot_denim
Apr 1, 2004
what if those unique colors are simply noise or artifacts introduced in the editing process somehow? and don’t try to use the chewbacca defense on me neither!

That was an extreme example that I gave, but it holds. Noise/artificacts ?, was thinking more like 2 images same in uncompressed format, no visible artifacts. It COULD be more detail ?, if e.g. a filter was used over one of the images that reduced the colour count with little visible change. The other line of thought was the analysis of data. E.g. You have a Windows Desktop screen shot, Is it is saved in a 24-bit file format, but what was the desktop resolution ?, it could have been 16 colours or, 256 or more, the desktop has no background image, but the Icons colour count varies in different bit-depts…….., so if you did colour count and got 16 then you could assume 16 colours desktop, if you got over 16 and less than 256 you could assume 256 colours, etc, etc,….

basically the answer to your question is no. can’t be done. now we’re all asking "why?" you said you’ve used it for real in the past. are you going to tell us exactly how and why you’ve used it or is it a big secret

How and why, my above paragraph contains reasons. But your question, asks why I am saying I have used it in the past, and your allllll asking it too. HOW ?, via Paint Shop Pro, not Photoshop.
NP
Nona_Pearson
Apr 1, 2004
I always found that feature in PSP interesting, if not out-and-out mission-critical, and for years have been expecting it to show up in Photoshop. It can tell you if you’ve introduced new colors into an image through some sort of manipulation. Sorry, it’s been a while since I’ve used it, and I can’t think of a really good example, but like I said, if nothing else, it was interesting.

Can’t we just accept that it’s an interesting feature instead of risking going down the "Well, I don’t see a use for it, Photoshop has never had it, therefore there’s some problem asking about it, why do you want to do THAT?" path?
HD
hot_denim
Apr 1, 2004
Dave Milbut

What is the chewbacca defence. I am not familar with it, maybe its because where I live ?…
DM
dave_milbut
Apr 1, 2004
so if you did colour count and got 16 then you could assume 16 colours desktop

not so. why couldn’t you have 16 color icons in a 16million color depth desk top.

chewbacca defense is something from season 1 (2?) of south park where johnny cochran gets oj off by confusing the jury… google it if you’re interested, it’s funny. little joke, i forgot you were from the other side of the pond. 🙂
HD
hot_denim
Apr 1, 2004
Dave

You COULD have 16 color icons on 16 million colour depth, but on modern windows OS’s I think Win98 And higher, the icons contain MORE colours automatically (the ones supplied with windows) if the colour depth is set higher. At least on Windows 2000. If there was a background image then that could even give you some indication as it contributes to the colour count, e.g. if the total is 257 then its not 256 colour desktop. Of course in this example there are exceptions and it wont work in all theretical cases considering all the things that can be factors that affect the result. But the idea was to provide you with A reason to satisfy you.
HD
hot_denim
Apr 1, 2004
Dave

Chewbacca defence, reading it on the web and seeing what it is. I have had it done to me in the course of pursading me into something.
WD
Walter Donavan
Apr 1, 2004
Googling for "chewbacca defense" got 7,770 hits, so some folks must know what it is. See Wikipedia for details.

Walter Donavan
www.revelation7stages.com
www.1stbooks.com/bookview/15479
TT
Toby_Thain
Apr 4, 2004
I wrote a plugin to count colours, which you can download here <http://www.telegraphics.com.au/sw/#countcolours>.
DM
dave_milbut
Apr 4, 2004
very cool open source stuff toby! thank you! i’ve been looking for conway’s life for a while now. ping! there it was.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections