Edited site template with PS & IR, exported to HTML, works but too small.. HELP!

A
Posted By
Allegro
Oct 2, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi,

I’ve been working with PhotoShop for some time now, and decided i wanted to design my website with it. Or at least try what i could accomplish. So, in order to have an idea how to create a site, i downloaded a template (a editable PSD, a exported site from that PSD (layout.html/images) and the primary index.html which i can edit with a webeditor.

I checked the template out, and edited some stuff and exported as a new layout.html. All looked ok. (However, i noticed the site/page in the layout.html is much smaller than the index.html page.. Not full screen.. Maybe it’s just a preview?)

So, i decided to create my own design. Background, buttons, shapes, different layers.. All worked ok, sliced it and saved. Then used Image Ready CS to get the buttons to work (rollover-effect).
That worked great, so i decided it was time to export/save it as HTML. It saved it as the layout.html and the images directory.
It seems to work ok, but it doesn’t look like a site yet. If i open the page, it’s just a small but working version of the site. The buttons, etc seem to work but it’s not filling the screen like the index.html did.

Did i miss something? Any way to export it correctly from Photoshop or Image Ready to create a correct, editable index.html instead of a preview??

Or do i need to use another program to create a full correct index.html?? (Webeditor maybe? Tried opening layout.html with a few editors, but it is still a small version of the site.. How to display/export it correctly??

Or do i have to edit another thing with a webeditor instead of the layout.html?? The PSD itself??

If someone could tell me how i could get the site to display correctly, that would be great..
I’m almost done, but this keeps bugging me..

Thanks,

Allegro.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

C
Corey
Oct 2, 2004
When you say you "exported," do you mean "save for web?" Usually this will create the html and images and even create an image folder.

I usually slice an image (from guides), name the slices, save for web, and then use the graphics and associated html page to begin a Dreamweaver template.

Corey 🙂

"Allegro" wrote in message
Hi,

I’ve been working with PhotoShop for some time now, and decided i wanted
to
design my website with it. Or at least try what i could accomplish. So, in order to have an idea how to create a site, i downloaded a template (a editable PSD, a exported site from that PSD (layout.html/images) and
the
primary index.html which i can edit with a webeditor.

I checked the template out, and edited some stuff and exported as a new layout.html. All looked ok. (However, i noticed the site/page in the layout.html is much smaller than the index.html page.. Not full screen.. Maybe it’s just a preview?)

So, i decided to create my own design. Background, buttons, shapes, different layers.. All worked ok, sliced it and saved. Then used Image
Ready
CS to get the buttons to work (rollover-effect).
That worked great, so i decided it was time to export/save it as HTML. It saved it as the layout.html and the images directory.
It seems to work ok, but it doesn’t look like a site yet. If i open the page, it’s just a small but working version of the site. The buttons, etc seem to work but it’s not filling the screen like the index.html did.
Did i miss something? Any way to export it correctly from Photoshop or
Ready to create a correct, editable index.html instead of a preview??
Or do i need to use another program to create a full correct index.html?? (Webeditor maybe? Tried opening layout.html with a few editors, but it is still a small version of the site.. How to display/export it correctly??
Or do i have to edit another thing with a webeditor instead of the layout.html?? The PSD itself??

If someone could tell me how i could get the site to display correctly,
that
would be great..

Thanks,

Allegro.

A
Allegro
Oct 2, 2004
Hi,

Yes i meant save for web, just wasn’t sure what it was in the English version.
But if i have the images, and layout.html that were created after i saved for web, how can i create a template for that?
Do i have to start from scratch, or can i import the layout.html or so?

Thanks,

Allegro.

P.S: I have the whole Adobe CS suite installed, and Dreamweaver, so that should be ok.

"Peadge" schreef in bericht
When you say you "exported," do you mean "save for web?" Usually this will
create the html and images and even create an image folder.
I usually slice an image (from guides), name the slices, save for web, and then use the graphics and associated html page to begin a Dreamweaver template.

Corey 🙂

"Allegro" wrote in message
Hi,

I’ve been working with PhotoShop for some time now, and decided i wanted
to
design my website with it. Or at least try what i could accomplish. So, in order to have an idea how to create a site, i downloaded a template
(a editable PSD, a exported site from that PSD (layout.html/images) and
the
primary index.html which i can edit with a webeditor.

So, i decided to create my own design. Background, buttons, shapes, different layers.. All worked ok, sliced it and saved. Then used Image
Ready
CS to get the buttons to work (rollover-effect).
Did i miss something? Any way to export it correctly from Photoshop or
Ready to create a correct, editable index.html instead of a preview??

If someone could tell me how i could get the site to display correctly,
that
would be great..

Thanks,

Allegro.

H
Hecate
Oct 3, 2004
On Sat, 2 Oct 2004 14:56:52 +0200, "Allegro"
wrote:

Hi,

I’ve been working with PhotoShop for some time now, and decided i wanted to design my website with it.

And that was your big mistake. Photoshop is an image editor. The best image editor. As a web site design tool it’s about as much use as a chocolate fireguard.

If someone could tell me how i could get the site to display correctly, that would be great..
Design it in web design software. I’d recommend Dreamweaver, or if you really must, GoLive (Which would be better named GoSlow, but still..it works after a fashion). If those are too expensive, try NetObjects Fusion. It’s pretty good, it’s cheap, and as long as you only use the templates as guide lines, it works.

Hecate – The Real One

veni, vidi, reliqui
JM
Jerry McEwen
Nov 19, 2004
On Sun, 03 Oct 2004 01:48:49 +0100, Hecate wrote:

On Sat, 2 Oct 2004 14:56:52 +0200, "Allegro"
wrote:

Hi,

I’ve been working with PhotoShop for some time now, and decided i wanted to design my website with it.

And that was your big mistake. Photoshop is an image editor. The best image editor. As a web site design tool it’s about as much use as a chocolate fireguard.

Design it in web design software. I’d recommend Dreamweaver, or if you really must, GoLive (Which would be better named GoSlow, but still..it works after a fashion). If those are too expensive, try NetObjects Fusion. It’s pretty good, it’s cheap, and as long as you only use the templates as guide lines, it works.

Hecate – The Real One

veni, vidi, reliqui

This is horrible advice, many of us have designed websites in Photoshop for years. Please do not guess answers if you don’t know.

If you think image editors are not for building websites, have a look at http://www.macromedia.com/software/fireworks/ and tell me what you think this tool is for.
H
Hecate
Nov 21, 2004
On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 15:10:15 -0600, Jerry McEwen
wrote:

This is horrible advice, many of us have designed websites in Photoshop for years. Please do not guess answers if you don’t know.

That probably explains a lot of the horrible web sites…

If you think image editors are not for building websites, have a look at http://www.macromedia.com/software/fireworks/ and tell me what you think this tool is for.

I know what Fireworks is for – it’s for preparing images to insert into proper web site building software – Dreamweaver. Using Fireworks to build a web site is stupid when you can use software designed for the job – Dreamweaver. Fireworks is good at dealing with images/bitmaps for the web. I use it all the time. But it isn’t web site design software and nor is Photoshop. Try asking Macromedia what they think is the primary use of Dreamweaver and the primary use of Fireworks. If you don’t know the difference, you’re in trouble.

Hecate – The Real One

veni, vidi, reliqui
JM
Jerry McEwen
Nov 23, 2004
On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 01:23:28 +0000, Hecate wrote:

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 15:10:15 -0600, Jerry McEwen
wrote:

You sound much too smart to really believe that. I think you know that many sites are mocked up first in an image editor.

I know what Fireworks is for – it’s for preparing images to insert into proper web site building software – Dreamweaver.

I agree that DW or Homesite or UltraEdit or whatever is a much better tool for the actual building, but surely you realize that thousands of websites are mainly sliced images. In case you don’t know this, here are a few:

http://www.apple.com/
http://www.juxtinteractive.com/
http://www.saab.com/
http://www.kennethcole.com/
http://www.fossil.com/

I know you don’t think they all suck, do you?

Using Fireworks
to build a web site is stupid when you can use software designed for the job – Dreamweaver.

DW cannot build images,

Fireworks is good at dealing with
images/bitmaps for the web. I use it all the time. But it isn’t web site design software and nor is Photoshop.

You seem to be saying that deisgning an interface in animage editor is *not* building a website. I would say that, untill CSS took hold, most sites were built primarly in an images editor first.

Would you say that http://www.projectfireworks.com/index.aspx was built only in DW? How about http://www.projectseven.com/?

I think we agree, but you sound as if are steering the OP away from using it at all. "Photoshop is an image editor. The best image editor. As a web site design tool it’s about as much use as a chocolate fireguard."

Far from the truth.

Try asking Macromedia what
they think is the primary use of Dreamweaver and the primary use of Fireworks. If you don’t know the difference, you’re in trouble.

Hecate – The Real One

veni, vidi, reliqui
H
Hecate
Nov 24, 2004
On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 17:21:45 -0600, Jerry McEwen
wrote:

You sound much too smart to really believe that. I think you know that many sites are mocked up first in an image editor.

I might show a look in image editor. I wouldn’t design the site in an image editor.

I know what Fireworks is for – it’s for preparing images to insert into proper web site building software – Dreamweaver.

I agree that DW or Homesite or UltraEdit or whatever is a much better tool for the actual building, but surely you realize that thousands of websites are mainly sliced images. In case you don’t know this, here are a few:

You’re joking right? I wouldn’t even put Homesite in the same paragraph as DW. Serious website design means using either DW or direct coding using, e.g. ASP plus something like DW.

http://www.apple.com/
http://www.juxtinteractive.com/
http://www.saab.com/
http://www.kennethcole.com/
http://www.fossil.com/

I know you don’t think they all suck, do you?

Not *all* of them. However, I regardless of the number of images they use, I doubt very much any site was designed and built in an image editor.

Using Fireworks
to build a web site is stupid when you can use software designed for the job – Dreamweaver.

DW cannot build images,

That’s right. That’s why y7ou use an image editor. To build images. That’s all. Full stop. You don’t design or build the site, nor do you do ASP coding, JSP, Coldfusion, C++ or anything else in an image editor.

Fireworks is good at dealing with
images/bitmaps for the web. I use it all the time. But it isn’t web site design software and nor is Photoshop.

You seem to be saying that deisgning an interface in animage editor is *not* building a website. I would say that, untill CSS took hold, most sites were built primarly in an images editor first.

All an image editor does is cope with the images – i.e. produce the images required for a web site. No web site builder/designer would think of using an i9mage editor to build/design a website in the same way that I wouldn’t use DW to attempt to edit an image.

Would you say that http://www.projectfireworks.com/index.aspx was built only in DW? How about http://www.projectseven.com/?

Yes. It uses Fireworks images in the build, but it still isn’t built/designed in Fireworks. In fact, if you have any of P7’s software, you’d realise that.

I think we agree, but you sound as if are steering the OP away from using it at all. "Photoshop is an image editor. The best image editor. As a web site design tool it’s about as much use as a chocolate fireguard."

Far from the truth.

No, not at all. As a producer of images for a web site it’s great (As long as one remembers not to use the awful dog Image Ready). As a web site design and build tool it’s no good at all. Try writing an ASP script in Photoshop and see how far you get.

Hecate – The Real One

veni, vidi, reliqui
JM
Jerry McEwen
Nov 24, 2004
On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 01:35:09 +0000, Hecate wrote:

You’re joking right? I wouldn’t even put Homesite in the same paragraph as DW. Serious website design means using either DW or direct coding using, e.g. ASP plus something like DW.

I gave you too much credit. How you can defer to direct coding and diss Homesite over DW?

Not *all* of them. However, I regardless of the number of images they use, I doubt very much any site was designed and built in an image editor.

You are quite mistaken.

Using Fireworks

DW cannot build images,

That’s right. That’s why y7ou use an image editor. To build images. That’s all. Full stop. You don’t design or build the site, nor do you do ASP coding, JSP, Coldfusion, C++ or anything else in an image editor.

Maybe you do not, but most all the pros I know do and that is many dozens of pros..

de·sign
Pronunciation: di-‘zIn
Function: verb
Etymology: Middle English, to outline, indicate, mean, from Middle French & Medieval Latin; Middle French designer to designate, from Medieval Latin designare, from Latin, to mark out, from de- + signare to mark — more at SIGN
transitive senses
1 : to create, fashion, execute, or construct according to plan : DEVISE, CONTRIVE
2 a : to conceive and plan out in the mind <he designed the perfect crime> b : to have as a purpose : INTEND <she designed to excel in her studies> c : to devise for a specific function or end <a book designed primarily as a college textbook>
3 archaic : to indicate with a distinctive mark, sign, or name 4 a : to make a drawing, pattern, or sketch of b : to draw the plans for

No, not at all. As a producer of images for a web site it’s great (As long as one remembers not to use the awful dog Image Ready).

ImageReady happens to be great for animated gifs and it’s optimization is second to none (same optimization as in Photoshop).

As a web
site design and build tool it’s no good at all.

I believe I already shot that down.

Try writing an ASP script in Photoshop and see how far you get.

Now you are being silly.
H
Hecate
Nov 25, 2004
On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 22:13:10 -0600, Jerry McEwen
wrote:

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 01:35:09 +0000, Hecate wrote:

I gave you too much credit. How you can defer to direct coding and diss Homesite over DW?

Why do you think 90%+ of professional site designers use DW?

You are quite mistaken.

Using Fireworks

DW cannot build images,

Maybe you do not, but most all the pros I know do and that is many dozens of pros..

None of the pros I know would even contemplate trying to do that stuff in an image editor.

de·sign

So,you have access to a dictionary. And your point is?

No, not at all. As a producer of images for a web site it’s great (As long as one remembers not to use the awful dog Image Ready).

ImageReady happens to be great for animated gifs and it’s optimization is second to none (same optimization as in Photoshop).

Actually, it’s second to Fireworks every time.

As a web
site design and build tool it’s no good at all.

I believe I already shot that down.

No, you didn’t.

Try writing an ASP script in Photoshop and see how far you get.

Now you are being silly.

Above, where I say :

You don’t design or build the site, nor do you do ASP coding, JSP, Coldfusion, C++ or anything else in an image editor.

You follow with:

SO who is being silly?

Hecate – The Real One

veni, vidi, reliqui

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections