Jan 17, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I just installed new nVidia drivers on my machine (Dell
XPS 600 with XP Pro, nVidia GeForce 7900 GTX, dual 2405
flat panels).

I chose, initially, single display to have both monitors treated as a single large monitor (nice to have the task bar span both screens). This caused Spyder to lose its
profile, as the profile was not associated with the dual monitor setup.

Do I need to go back to the dual display mode to have spyder work, or would a new calibration in the single display mode associate itself correctly?

Hope this was not too confusing, I have certainly gotten a lot of very useful help here.

Thanks,

Andrew Hall
(Now reading Usenet in comp.graphics.apps.photoshop…)

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

RG
Roy G
Jan 17, 2007
wrote in message
flat panels).

I chose, initially, single display to have both monitors treated as a single large monitor (nice to have the task bar span both screens). This caused Spyder to lose its

Do I need to go back to the dual display mode to have spyder work, or would a new calibration in the single display mode associate itself correctly?

Hope this was not too confusing, I have certainly gotten a lot of very useful help here.

Thanks,

Andrew Hall

Hi.

I can’t quite remember, but there is something in the Spyder instructions about it not being able to profile 2 monitors on a Dual Card, except in Macs.

If you need both Monitors profiled individually, you need to use 2 Cards.

What worries me is using 1 Profile for 2 Monitors. Can you be sure they both handle colours in an identical manner. I know they are both the same model – but manufacturing tolerances ain’t all that good.

Roy G
A
ahall
Jan 17, 2007
Roy G writes:

wrote in message
news>
flat panels).

Thanks,

Andrew Hall

Roy> Hi.

Roy> I can’t quite remember, but there is something in the Spyder instructions Roy> about it not being able to profile 2 monitors on a Dual Card, except in Roy> Macs.

Yes, because Windows only uses one profile per video card.

This question was more about the interaction between nVidia driver settings and Spyder. The drivers allow you to treat both monitors as one large one, which I initially did, but that broke the association between the profile and the monitor.

I guess I will try to calibrate in that mode, and see if the Spyder target is on just one monitor (or big enough on one) to properly calibrate that monitor, and to see if the new profile remains associated with the monitor.

Roy> If you need both Monitors profiled individually, you need to use 2 Cards.

I am good just having one, as I can have the actual image there, and use the other for palettes and email…

Roy> What worries me is using 1 Profile for 2 Monitors. Can you be sure they Roy> both handle colours in an identical manner. I know they are both the same Roy> model – but manufacturing tolerances ain’t all that good.

Mine are definitely different. To the naked eye it is quite noticeable.

Andrew Hall
RG
Roy G
Jan 17, 2007
wrote in message
Roy G writes:

wrote in message
news>
Snipped

Hi again.

When you say using both as one big one, I presume you mean "Extend My Desktop onto this one" in 2nd monitor settings.

The instructions are not exactly specific. It is very clear that it cannot profile both individually, but not clear if the profile will be applied to both at the same time or to none.

I have 2 Monitors and 2 Cards. The second card is a 32Mb cheapo.

Roy G
MR
Mike Russell
Jan 17, 2007
wrote in message
flat panels).

"Roy G" wrote in message
I can’t quite remember, but there is something in the Spyder instructions about it not being able to profile 2 monitors on a Dual Card, except in Macs.

If you need both Monitors profiled individually, you need to use 2 Cards.
What worries me is using 1 Profile for 2 Monitors. Can you be sure they both handle colours in an identical manner. I know they are both the same model – but manufacturing tolerances ain’t all that good.

Maybe, maybe not. I would not expect two completely different monitors to match. OTOH, if the monitors are the same model, made at about the same time on the same assembly line, etc, I would expect them to match within a few percent. The remaining difference, if any, can be accommodated using the monitor’s own controls.

Mike Russell
www.curvemeister.com/forum/

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections