EC
Posted By
Ed Clarke
Sep 30, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
It seems as if someone comes into this newsgroup every few weeks looking for a free logo, a cheap logo or some other lots-of-work-for-nothing logo. Perhaps it’s time for a FAQ to be put up somewhere rather than to simply vent anger on the potential client.

What exactly IS a logo? I’ve seen lots of logos – from the fancy COKE to the more sparse IBM, but are there more kinds? The IBM/Coke are lettering, Pepsi has a solid graphic involved. Are there specific names for these kinds of logos? Are there other kinds?

What are price ranges for these things? "A simple lettering logo that I can do as a one meeting pay-your-money-take-what-I-give-you will take me an hour to do and will cost you $xxx." "A simple graphic and lettering logo will take several meetings and cost you a minimum of $xxx but if problems develop more likely $xxxx." "The logo that I did for XyZZy bought me a new house in Hawaii."

What’s the cheapest logo you ever did? What’s the most expensive? How much time is involved? Remember that people who end up in here have no clue as to what the going rates are or how much is involved. After all, how often does someone actually buy a logo? Once in a lifetime?

I think that I’ve also seen usage costs tied to logo design. A logo for a web site is charged differently than a logo for a business card or a letterhead. What’s this all about?

And finally, how does one contact a designer? It doesn’t look like posting an advert in this group is appreciated… And there’s at least one poster here that I would never ever buy anything from. Yellow pages? Google search? Under what heading? I often get logo design offers in my administrative accounts email, but I never buy anything from spammers – so they’re out of the running.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

C
Corey
Oct 2, 2004
If you’re looking for a designer, try going to www.guru.com (formerly creativemoonlighter.com).
They can hook you up!

Any graphics work I do, logos included, is invariably priced according to the client’s budget. If the budget is high, I will offer many more options, scenarios, versions, choices, etc. than if the budget is low.

I always create logos using a vector program like Illustrator, or do preliminary work in Photoshop using shapes and paths. A rule of thumb for logos is that they should be scalable. They should look great, and be recognizable, on a postage stamp or a billboard. Web versus print is really moot if the logo is created using vectors. Web logos are just the vector versions converted to a bitmap of a specific size.

Corporations can spend 6 or more figures on a logo, and do extensive research prior to design, during design, and pre-publication post-design. Individuals (most of my work) usually cannot afford the research or high prices, so there may not be as much money to be made. But the look on the faces of satisfied customers must carry some weight.

Corey 🙂

"Ed Clarke" wrote in message
It seems as if someone comes into this newsgroup every few weeks looking
for a
free logo, a cheap logo or some other lots-of-work-for-nothing logo.
Perhaps
it’s time for a FAQ to be put up somewhere rather than to simply vent
anger on
the potential client.

What exactly IS a logo? I’ve seen lots of logos – from the fancy COKE to
the
more sparse IBM, but are there more kinds? The IBM/Coke are lettering,
Pepsi
has a solid graphic involved. Are there specific names for these kinds of
logos?
Are there other kinds?

What are price ranges for these things? "A simple lettering logo that I
can do
as a one meeting pay-your-money-take-what-I-give-you will take me an hour
to do
and will cost you $xxx." "A simple graphic and lettering logo will take several meetings and cost you a minimum of $xxx but if problems develop
more
likely $xxxx." "The logo that I did for XyZZy bought me a new house in
Hawaii."
What’s the cheapest logo you ever did? What’s the most expensive? How
much
time is involved? Remember that people who end up in here have no clue
as
to what the going rates are or how much is involved. After all, how often does someone actually buy a logo? Once in a lifetime?

I think that I’ve also seen usage costs tied to logo design. A logo for a
web
site is charged differently than a logo for a business card or a
letterhead.
What’s this all about?

And finally, how does one contact a designer? It doesn’t look like
posting an
advert in this group is appreciated… And there’s at least one poster
here
that I would never ever buy anything from. Yellow pages? Google search? Under what heading? I often get logo design offers in my administrative accounts email, but I never buy anything from spammers – so they’re out of the running.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections