FA
Posted By
Frank Arthur
Dec 28, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I bought a SanDisk Extreme III card on Ebay from a vendor in China. When the card failed
and I sent it back to SanDisk for lifetime warranty only to discover it was not a SanDisk product
and I am stuck with it.
The box and packaging looked liked the real thing

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

R
Roberto
Dec 29, 2006
Unless the people in china you bought it from will make good, yep your stuck with it. That’s what happens when you want cheap instead of quality. One should never buy memory cards from eBay, unless one likes getting fucked over.

ljc

"Frank Arthur" wrote in message
I bought a SanDisk Extreme III card on Ebay from a vendor in China. When the card failed
and I sent it back to SanDisk for lifetime warranty only to discover it was not a SanDisk product
and I am stuck with it.
The box and packaging looked liked the real thing
TB
Tony Blair
Dec 29, 2006
"Little Juice Coupe" wrote in message
Unless the people in china you bought it from will make good, yep your stuck with it. That’s what happens when you want cheap instead of quality. One should never buy memory cards from eBay, unless one likes getting fucked over.

ljc

Apart from being written by someone who likes to state the blindingly obvious! one can also detect a trace of smug, self-satisfaction emanating from this message!!
And no help or advice whatsoever!
M
marathon
Dec 30, 2006
On Fri, 29 Dec 2006 20:08:13 -0000, Harry Limey in comp.graphics.apps.photoshop wrote:

ljc

Apart from being written by someone who likes to state the blindingly obvious! one can also detect a trace of smug, self-satisfaction emanating from this message!!

Which, I bet most of us were thinking exactly the same thoughts. What is one thinking when they buy goods from China over Ebay ?! Common sense is often in short supply in the so called "civilized world" these days, unfortunately!
YD
yodel_dodel
Dec 30, 2006
ST.D.AL wrote:

What is one thinking when they buy goods from China over Ebay ?! Common sense is often in short supply …

Bah. Common sense says that, on ebay, I need to look at the ratings of a vendor. If the number of sales is high and the ratings are flawless, I know I’ll be getting usable product and acceptable service.

To buy from a vendor with bad ratings (or no rating history at all) is dumb.

It’s got nothing to do with where the vendor is located.

Gregor mit dem Motorrad auf Reisen
http://hothaus.de/greg-tour/
TB
Tony Blair
Dec 30, 2006
"Greg N." wrote in message
ST.D.AL wrote:

What is one thinking when they buy goods from China over Ebay ?! Common sense is often in short supply …

Bah. Common sense says that, on ebay, I need to look at the ratings of a vendor. If the number of sales is high and the ratings are flawless, I know I’ll be getting usable product and acceptable service.

Funnily enough I won an auction for a Sandisk on EBay about 90% less than shop price! The chap had a lot of positive ratings to his credit, he sent an email wanting me to send cash in an envelope to a Post Office box in some remote part of China I had never heard of before!!!
I wrote back asking him to send the memory card and I would do as he asked, when it arrived!!
We exchanged a few emails, before he threatened to have my EBay account closed for non payment!
I wrote to EBay straight away and he was eventually closed down! In the meantime I put something along the lines of don’t deal with this guy, he’s a crook on his feedback!
When I looked at his feedback individually it was all in Chinese!!

No doubt about it! they are out there!
YD
yodel_dodel
Dec 30, 2006
Harry Limey wrote:

When I looked at his feedback…

Tat’s what I said. The feedback tells you who to deal with and who not to.

No doubt about it! they are out there!

Oh sure. All over the globe.

R
Roberto
Dec 30, 2006
Actually, it is about all the help you are going to get. Since it isn’t a real whatever brand they aren’t going to help you. You didn’t pay them. So your only possible choice is to contact the people that sold it to you. If they don’t do anything and you paid by credit card you can complain to your credit card company. If you paid by PayPal they might be able to help you. I however, wouldn’t hold my breath.

Yes, there was some smugness. This problem with memory cards on eBay has been discussed to death just about any place that talks about digital cameras. A little search like "memory cards on eBay" or "buying memory cards on eBay", etc. would have shown you the light. You decided that it was worth saving a few bucks and not doing your homework. You got what you paid for. Plain and simple.

ljc

"Harry Limey" wrote in message

ljc

R
Roberto
Dec 30, 2006
Unfortunately the eBay ratings I feel are at best misleading and at worst a false sense of security. Since they can’t be altered after you submit them you have no real idea how many of those were sent before the problem of the card being fake or any other problems crept up. One should be given 6 months to a year to change their feedback to cover such problems.

There are many things about how eBay and PayPal function and their policies that suck not only for the buyer but the seller as well. Their feedback system is one that sucks like a new Hoover.

ljc

"Greg N." wrote in message
ST.D.AL wrote:

K
Ken
Dec 30, 2006
I agree that it would be foolish to buy from someone with a bad rating but your idea is a little flawed when it comes to "no rating history at all".

How does a vendor *get* a rating history if nobody buys from him?

If everyone applied your philosophy, the only people who would sell anything are those who already have a good history and there would never be anyone new selling on eBay.

Ken

In article <en64bl$ghj$>, "Greg N."
wrote:

MR
Mike Russell
Dec 30, 2006

I agree that it would be foolish to buy from someone with a bad rating but your idea is a little flawed when it comes to "no rating history at all".

Not really.

You have a point. I will take a chance on smaller purchases if they are a good deal, and the vendor seems genuine, has an independent web presence, no complaints on Usenet, and responds well to emails.

If everyone applied your philosophy, the only people who would sell anything are those who already have a good history and there would never be anyone new selling on eBay.

Right. EBay exists, therefore people buy from people with no ratings. Vendors can start off small, offering better deals to get started. You can also communicate with each vendor to get an idea of how solid they are – if they don’t respond to questions, or otherwise seem uncooperative. In the event of a rip-off, there is also some buyer protection from eBay, PayPal, and the credit card vendors.

Selling a fake SanDisk card, for example, would be reason for PayPal.aka eBay to rescind payment, put the vendor out of business, and in rare cases – if they are behind on their protection money – even get them jailed and/or executed in China.

Mike Russell
www.curvemeister.com/forum/
M
marathon
Dec 30, 2006
On Sat, 30 Dec 2006 17:32:53 +0100, Greg N. in comp.graphics.apps.photoshop wrote:
ST.D.AL wrote:

It’s a combination of factors, using one’s common sense. Always caveat emptor …

I’m sorry, but I have little sympathy for the OP.
JS
John Stafford
Dec 30, 2006
eBay once had a front-page warning about those fakes, but now it’s almost back-page stuff.

Begin with this link.

http://reviews.ebay.com/Beware-of-FAKE-SanDisk-Compact-Flash -Cards-on- eBay_W0QQugidZ10000000001235396

Near the bottom you can find information on how to report the fraud.
R
Roberto
Dec 31, 2006
Unfortunately, that is the state of things that eBay allowed to happen. There are many better ways to ensure that a seller is good besides eBay’s very flawed feedback system.

I would only refuse to purchase items that are known to be hot with counterfeiters. Memory Cards, Goochi hand bags (if I ever wanted such a thing). Many other things you are fairly safe, but there is never any guarantee and besides the rating system being flawed eBay is only a help when it allows them to keep money that is why they don’t ban more of the poor sellers. For example when someone leaves a negative feedback eBay should automatically step in and try to get things worked out. More needs to be done to force sellers to do the right thing and to force buyers to also do the right thing like reading the entire auction text instead of complaining about things that were stated in the ad.

Personally any seller that gets more then two negatives and/or two complaints for any reason (that was unable to be worked out with eBay’s help) should have their account terminated. When you go to buy something on eBay you should haven’t worry about when or if you will get screwed. Until eBay does something besides sit back and collect far too much money for what little they offer eBay will never be a good place to shop that you can be reasonably assured you won’t get screwed by the seller or by eBay for that matter. PayPal has similar problems. They both want all the money but don’t want to ensure satisfaction for any party.

ljc

"Ken" wrote in message

Ken

In article <en64bl$ghj$>, "Greg N."
wrote:

OC
Oliver Costich
Jan 1, 2007
On Sat, 30 Dec 2006 10:13:01 -0500, "ST.D.AL"
wrote:

On Fri, 29 Dec 2006 20:08:13 -0000, Harry Limey in comp.graphics.apps.photoshop wrote:

ljc

Which, I bet most of us were thinking exactly the same thoughts. What is one thinking when they buy goods from China over Ebay ?! Common sense is often in short supply in the so called "civilized world" these days, unfortunately!

It dpends on what and from whom you buy. I just bought a benro ballhead from China on Ebay and it’s great. Seller had 100% rating with thousands of ratings. Also received good reports on the photo forums.
M
marathon
Jan 3, 2007
On Mon, 01 Jan 2007 11:22:35 -0500, Oliver Costich in comp.graphics.apps.photoshop wrote:

It dpends on what and from whom you buy. I just bought a benro ballhead from China on Ebay and it’s great. Seller had 100% rating with thousands of ratings. Also received good reports on the photo forums.

Of course — The point I’m making is one of due diligence. It’s amazing how easily it is to separate fools from their $.

I find it astonishing that the guy would rant about it on Usenet, when he was had by his own lack of diligence, especially when buying offshore, from a country that is still the wild west, in economic terms.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections