A
Posted By
ahall
Dec 18, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I created a profile for my monitor with The Sypder2PRO 2.3.2 software and hardware.

The software claimed that photoshop would automatically use the profile.

How do I confirm that in photoshop? The new profile is an option in the working space dropdown, but I do not think I want to use it there.

Confused newbie…

Thanks,
ah

Andrew Hall
(Now reading Usenet in comp.graphics.apps.photoshop…)

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

RG
Roy G
Dec 18, 2006
wrote in message
I created a profile for my monitor with The Sypder2PRO 2.3.2 software and hardware.

How do I confirm that in photoshop? The new profile is an option in the working space dropdown, but I do not think I want to use it there.
Confused newbie…

Thanks,
ah

Andrew Hall

You were very nearly correct.

Go to Edit > Colour Settings > Working Space then scroll up above the Working Space Profiles.

You should see an entry "Monitor Profile – your Spydered Profile"

That is what Photoshop is using.

Roy G
JM
John McWilliams
Dec 19, 2006
Roy G wrote:
wrote in message

Confused newbie…

Go to Edit > Colour Settings > Working Space then scroll up above the Working Space Profiles.

If you select "Color management Off", you’ll likely default to a monitor profile. But if you start with the default position of US prepress, the working space goes to aRGB.

I’ve been under the impression that some icc profiles were for the hardware, and the sRGB, a RGB, Prophoto, etc. were color spaces for the image, and other profiles were for paper and printer combo’s.

Put another way, I set my monitor to my calibrated [icc Spyder] profile, so that every application displays "under it", including, of course, PS, but you don’t select that profile when using PS color management dialogues.

john mcwilliams
RG
Roy G
Dec 19, 2006
"Roy G" wrote in message
wrote in message

Confused newbie…

Thanks,
ah

Andrew Hall

Roy G
I should have said.

After reading which profile is being used as the Monitor Profile, go back and reselect your correct Working Space Profile, probably Adobe RGB.

Roy G
A
ahall
Dec 19, 2006
Roy G writes:

Roy> "Roy G" wrote in message
news> eAFhh.21250$
wrote in message
news>

Confused newbie…

Thanks,
ah

Andrew Hall

Roy G
Roy> I should have said.

Under Working Spaces, clicking on the RGB dropdown, I see my Spyder profile listed as "Monitor RGB", which sounds correct.

Roy> After reading which profile is being used as the Monitor Profile, go back Roy> and reselect your correct Working Space Profile, probably Adobe RGB.

Right now the selection (not set by me) for Working Spaces — RGB is sRGB IEC61966-2.1.

I believe you are saying I should change that to Adobe RGB (1998)

Thanks,

Andrew Hall
JM
John McWilliams
Dec 19, 2006
wrote:
Roy G writes:

news> eAFhh.21250$
wrote in message
news>

Confused newbie…

Thanks,
ah

Andrew Hall

Roy G
Roy> I should have said.

Under Working Spaces, clicking on the RGB dropdown, I see my Spyder profile listed as "Monitor RGB", which sounds correct.
Roy> After reading which profile is being used as the Monitor Profile, go back Roy> and reselect your correct Working Space Profile, probably Adobe RGB.
Right now the selection (not set by me) for Working Spaces — RGB is sRGB IEC61966-2.1.

I’d leave it at sRGB if most of your printing is done by other than very high end printing outfits. If you print mostly at home, or at custom labs, aRGB is a bit wider gamut, and hence a bit better.

BTW, did you (or Roy) see my post earlier?

John McWilliams
RG
Roy G
Dec 19, 2006
"John McWilliams" wrote in message
wrote:
Roy G writes:

Roy> "Roy G" wrote in message news>
eAFhh.21250$
wrote in message news>

I created a profile for my monitor with The Sypder2PRO 2.3.2
software
and hardware.
The software claimed that photoshop would automatically use
the profile.
How do I confirm that in photoshop? The new profile is an
option in the
working space dropdown, but I do not think I want to use it there.
Confused newbie…
Thanks,
ah
Andrew Hall
Go to Edit > Colour Settings > Working Space then scroll up
above the >> Working Space Profiles.
You should see an entry "Monitor Profile – your Spydered
Profile"
Roy G
Roy> I should have said.

Under Working Spaces, clicking on the RGB dropdown, I see my Spyder profile
listed as "Monitor RGB", which sounds correct.

I’d leave it at sRGB if most of your printing is done by other than very high end printing outfits. If you print mostly at home, or at custom labs, aRGB is a bit wider gamut, and hence a bit better.

John McWilliams

Hi.

I just assumed, probably a stupid thing to do, that because he was interested in CM, he would probably be printing for himself. Hence my suggestion to use Adobe RGB.

I was really concerned that after reading my post he might switch his Working Space to his Monitor Profile. I just wanted to make sure that he only used the Working Space "drop down" to read which Monitor Profile was being used by PS.

There must be an easier way to find out which is being used, but I have not yet come across it.

One of these days I must take some sort of course on PS.

Roy G
JM
John McWilliams
Dec 19, 2006
Roy G wrote:
wrote:
Roy G writes:
eAFhh.21250$
wrote in message news>

software
and hardware.
the profile.
option in the
Confused newbie…
Thanks,
ah
Andrew Hall
Profile"
Roy G
Roy> I should have said.

I just assumed, probably a stupid thing to do, that because he was interested in CM, he would probably be printing for himself. Hence my suggestion to use Adobe RGB.

I was really concerned that after reading my post he might switch his Working Space to his Monitor Profile. I just wanted to make sure that he only used the Working Space "drop down" to read which Monitor Profile was being used by PS.

There must be an easier way to find out which is being used, but I have not yet come across it.

I’d sure like another one! You do awfully well with no training.

On my other post, I’d love if some guru came by and said, "Yasss, John-O, you’ve got that right." or "This is how it is….."

john mcwilliams

Remember to pillage *before* you burn.
RG
Roy G
Dec 19, 2006
Roy G wrote:
wrote:
Roy G writes:
eAFhh.21250$
wrote in message news>

software
and hardware.
the profile.
option in the
working space dropdown, but I do not think I want to use it
there.
Confused newbie…
Thanks,
ah
Andrew Hall
Profile"
Roy G
Roy> I should have said.

I’d sure like another one! You do awfully well with no training.
On my other post, I’d love if some guru came by and said, "Yasss, John-O, you’ve got that right." or "This is how it is….."

john mcwilliams

Remember to pillage *before* you burn.

I am glad someone thinks so, but you are probably just being polite.

I do know enough about CM, to get my prints the way I want, but that was mostly through a lot of reading and trying. I am not convinced on the usefullness of courses, a few of Camera Club members have done courses, and I feel they know considerably less than me.

One in particular did a full time course, and is completely unable to re-size any file down to the size needed for our Web Site, even though there are instructions on the Web Site showing how to do it.

Roy G
A
ahall
Dec 21, 2006
John McWilliams writes:

John> wrote:
Roy G writes:
news> eAFhh.21250$
wrote in message news>

I created a profile for my monitor with The Sypder2PRO
2.3.2 software
and hardware.
The software claimed that photoshop would
automatically use the profile.
How do I confirm that in photoshop? The new profile
is an option in the
Confused newbie…
Thanks,
ah
Andrew Hall
Go to Edit > Colour Settings > Working Space then scroll
up above the >> Working Space Profiles.
Profile"
Roy G
Roy> I should have said.
Roy> After reading which profile is being used as the Monitor
Profile, go back Roy> and reselect your correct Working Space Profile, probably Adobe RGB.

John> I’d leave it at sRGB if most of your printing is done by other than John> very high end printing outfits. If you print mostly at home, or at John> custom labs, aRGB is a bit wider gamut, and hence a bit better.

Currently I print on an old Canon S9000. I am planning to get an Epson 3800 when they start shipping in quantity.

John> BTW, did you (or Roy) see my post earlier?

This is the first one from you I have seen in this thread.

Andrew Hall
A
ahall
Dec 21, 2006
Roy G writes:

Roy> I just assumed, probably a stupid thing to do, that because he was Roy> interested in CM, he would probably be printing for himself. Hence my Roy> suggestion to use Adobe RGB.

Roy> I was really concerned that after reading my post he might switch his Roy> Working Space to his Monitor Profile. I just wanted to make sure that he Roy> only used the Working Space "drop down" to read which Monitor Profile was Roy> being used by PS.

You wrote clearly enough, I just used the drop down for confirmation, and later to switch to aRDB.

Roy> There must be an easier way to find out which is being used, but I have not Roy> yet come across it.

Roy> One of these days I must take some sort of course on PS.

Thanks,

Andrew Hall
JM
John McWilliams
Dec 21, 2006
wrote:
John McWilliams writes:

John> wrote:
Roy G writes:
news> eAFhh.21250$
wrote in message news>

I created a profile for my monitor with The Sypder2PRO
2.3.2 software
and hardware.
The software claimed that photoshop would
automatically use the profile.
How do I confirm that in photoshop? The new profile
is an option in the
Confused newbie…
Thanks,
ah
Andrew Hall
Go to Edit > Colour Settings > Working Space then scroll
up above the >> Working Space Profiles.
Profile"
Roy G
Roy> I should have said.
Roy> After reading which profile is being used as the Monitor
Profile, go back Roy> and reselect your correct Working Space Profile, probably Adobe RGB.

John> I’d leave it at sRGB if most of your printing is done by other than John> very high end printing outfits. If you print mostly at home, or at John> custom labs, aRGB is a bit wider gamut, and hence a bit better.
Currently I print on an old Canon S9000. I am planning to get an Epson 3800 when they start shipping in quantity.

John> BTW, did you (or Roy) see my post earlier?

Is your newsreader set to read threaded? In any event, there’s a post sandwiched between two of Roy’s that I was hoping would help clarify.

Cheers and good luck!

John McWilliams
A
ahall
Dec 22, 2006
John McWilliams writes:

John> Is your newsreader set to read threaded? In any event, there’s a post John> sandwiched between two of Roy’s that I was hoping would help clarify.

I do not believe it made it to my server. I could search for it if I had a message ID, but I saved most of the posts in the thread, and did not see that one.

John> Cheers and good luck!
Thanks you,

Andrew Hall
JM
John McWilliams
Dec 22, 2006
Roy G wrote:
wrote in message

Confused newbie…

[ NOTE= This is reposted as it didn’t make it to the server of the OP. ]

If you select "Color management Off", you’ll likely default to a monitor profile. But if you start with the default position of US prepress, the working space goes to aRGB.

I’ve been under the impression that some icc profiles were for the hardware, and the sRGB, a RGB, Prophoto, etc. were color spaces for the image, and other profiles were for paper and printer combo’s.

Put another way, I set my monitor to my calibrated [icc Spyder] profile, so that every application displays "under it", including, of course, PS, but you don’t select that profile when using PS color management dialogs.

john mcwilliams
JM
John McWilliams
Jan 2, 2007
John McWilliams wrote:
Roy G wrote:
wrote in message

Confused newbie…

[ NOTE= This is reposted as it didn’t make it to the server of the OP. ]

Put another way, I set my monitor to my calibrated [icc Spyder] profile, so that every application displays "under it", including, of course, PS, but you don’t select that profile when using PS color management dialogs.

John McWilliams
A
ahall
Jan 3, 2007
John McWilliams writes:

John> Roy G wrote:
wrote in message
news>

Confused newbie…

You should see an entry "Monitor Profile – your Spydered Profile" That is what Photoshop is using.

John> [ NOTE= This is reposted as it didn’t make it to the server of the OP. ]

John> If you select "Color management Off", you’ll likely default to a monitor John> profile. But if you start with the default position of US prepress, the John> working space goes to aRGB.

John> I’ve been under the impression that some icc profiles were for the John> hardware, and the sRGB, a RGB, Prophoto, etc. were color spaces for the John> image, and other profiles were for paper and printer combo’s.

John> Put another way, I set my monitor to my calibrated [icc Spyder] profile, John> so that every application displays "under it", including, of course, PS, John> but you don’t select that profile when using PS color management dialogs.

Thank you for the repost John, I had not read the group for a couple of weeks, and just saw it.

I did not select the Spyder profile in CS2, but CS2 did notice that it was the selected monitor profile, as seen in the dropdown for selecting working spaces.

Thanks again,

Andrew Hall

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections