R
Posted By
ross
Sep 13, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I want to take a photo and make it grayscale and then return spot colors to it. Colors from the original photo. I have seen it done. Any advise here? I appreciate this newsgroup. Dick Ross

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

C
Corey
Sep 13, 2004
Dick,

I’m not sure if you can do it from converting to grayscale, but you may be able to do it through desaturation. Desaturation keeps information in the original color channels. Open your image, go to IMAGE > ADJUST > DESATURATE or press SHFT+CTRL+U. Then use your history brush to selectively add color back in.

Corey 🙂

"ross" wrote in message
I want to take a photo and make it grayscale and then return spot colors
to
it. Colors from the original photo. I have seen it done. Any advise here?
I
appreciate this newsgroup. Dick Ross

TD
The Doormouse
Sep 13, 2004
"ross" wrote:

I want to take a photo and make it grayscale and then return spot colors to it. Colors from the original photo. I have seen it done. Any advise here? I appreciate this newsgroup. Dick Ross

You want to:

Handpaint the B&W image
*or*
Use layer effects

Google is your friend.

The Doormouse

The Doormouse cannot be reached by e-mail without her permission.
B
bagal
Sep 13, 2004
Both please The Doormouse

These are interesting effects and while I have used this style I think I may have gone a long way round 🙂

Articus

"The Doormouse" wrote in message
"ross" wrote:

You want to:

Handpaint the B&W image
*or*
Use layer effects

Google is your friend.

The Doormouse

R
ross
Sep 13, 2004
It is in the desaturate, but no luck using history brush. I think the process entails using the lasso and erasure, but not sure. Thanks, Dick Ross "Articus Drools" wrote in message

These are interesting effects and while I have used this style I think I
may
have gone a long way round 🙂

Articus

"ross" wrote:

You want to:

Handpaint the B&W image
*or*
Use layer effects

Google is your friend.

The Doormouse

R
ross
Sep 14, 2004
I did try the history procedure again and had some luck. Thank you, Dick Ross
"ross" wrote in message
It is in the desaturate, but no luck using history brush. I think the process entails using the lasso and erasure, but not sure. Thanks, Dick
Ross
"Articus Drools" wrote in message

These are interesting effects and while I have used this style I think I
may
have gone a long way round 🙂

Articus

"ross" wrote:

I want to take a photo and make it grayscale and then return spot colors to it. Colors from the original photo. I have seen it done.
Any
advise here? I appreciate this newsgroup. Dick Ross

You want to:

Handpaint the B&W image
*or*
Use layer effects

Google is your friend.

The Doormouse

TD
The Doormouse
Sep 14, 2004
"Articus Drools" wrote:

These are interesting effects and while I have used this style I think I may have gone a long way round 🙂

This question pops up here occasionally – Google it, and you will get lots of hits.

Basically, you have the B&W image underneath, and painted layers over that, using blending modes like "color".

The Doormouse

N
noone
Sep 14, 2004
In article ,
says…
Dick,

I’m not sure if you can do it from converting to grayscale, but you may be able to do it through desaturation. Desaturation keeps information in the original color channels. Open your image, go to IMAGE > ADJUST > DESATURATE or press SHFT+CTRL+U. Then use your history brush to selectively add color back in.

Corey 🙂

"ross" wrote in message
I want to take a photo and make it grayscale and then return spot colors
to
it. Colors from the original photo. I have seen it done. Any advise here?
I
appreciate this newsgroup. Dick Ross

Or mask off the area that you wish to keep in origianl color, and then do an Adjustment Layer>Desaturate for the rest of the photograph. This will also allow you to tweak the area where the greyscale effect is to take place, and to go back to any level of Desaturation/Saturation, that you may choose.

Hunt
E
edjh
Sep 14, 2004
ross wrote:
Channel Mixer set to Monochrome. Do it on one layer and mask out the areas you want left in color so the color shows through from the layer below.

Comic book sketches and artwork:
http://www.sover.net/~hannigan/edjh.html
Comics art for sale:
http://www.sover.net/~hannigan/batsale.html

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections