Posted By
ronviers
Nov 4, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi,
I have an image that has a layer with a style using a gradient overlay and and a hard mix blend. When I save the file and exit then reopen the file the style blend mode always reverts to normal. So everytime I open the file I have to go back to the layer style and change the blend mode back. Does anyone know why this is happening? Are my expectation of how style blend modes are supposed to be used or behave incorrect? Btw, the layer itself is using a luminosity blend mode. It is the gradient overlay portion of the style that is using the hard mix mode.

Thanks,
Ron

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

K
KatWoman
Nov 7, 2006
wrote in message
Hi,
I have an image that has a layer with a style using a gradient overlay and and a hard mix blend. When I save the file and exit then reopen the file the style blend mode always reverts to normal. So everytime I open the file I have to go back to the layer style and change the blend mode back. Does anyone know why this is happening? Are my expectation of how style blend modes are supposed to be used or behave incorrect? Btw, the layer itself is using a luminosity blend mode. It is the gradient overlay portion of the style that is using the hard mix mode.
Thanks,
Ron

is it in PSD format??
R
ronviers
Nov 7, 2006
KatWoman wrote:
wrote in message
Hi,
Thanks,
Ron

is it in PSD format??

Yes.

Thanks,
Ron
R
ronviers
Nov 8, 2006
KatWoman wrote:
wrote in message
Hi,
Thanks,
Ron

is it in PSD format??

I decided to pursue your line of questioning and save in another layer supported file type. So I tried tiff. I opened the file and changed the blend mode back to how I want it, I even tried locking the layer, then I saved it as a tiff and reopened it – same results – it reverted to normal. I then tried the same thing on a different computer running its own copy of CS2 and working with the file (tiff and psd) in a separate location – again, same thing. Under all circumstances CS2 replaces that hard mix blend mode with normal blend mode.
Thanks for the suggestion,
Ron
J
jenelisepasceci
Nov 8, 2006
"" wrote:

KatWoman wrote:
wrote in message
Hi,
Thanks,
Ron

is it in PSD format??

I decided to pursue your line of questioning and save in another layer supported file type. So I tried tiff. I opened the file and changed the blend mode back to how I want it, I even tried locking the layer, then I saved it as a tiff and reopened it – same results – it reverted to normal. I then tried the same thing on a different computer running its own copy of CS2 and working with the file (tiff and psd) in a separate location – again, same thing. Under all circumstances CS2 replaces that hard mix blend mode with normal blend mode.

Same behavior on my computer. I think you found a bug. Chris Cox, are you out there?

Peter
K
KatWoman
Nov 8, 2006
"Peter Wollenberg" wrote in message
"" wrote:

KatWoman wrote:
wrote in message
Hi,
I have an image that has a layer with a style using a gradient overlay and and a hard mix blend. When I save the file and exit then reopen the
file the style blend mode always reverts to normal. So everytime I open the file I have to go back to the layer style and change the blend
mode back. Does anyone know why this is happening? Are my expectation
of how style blend modes are supposed to be used or behave incorrect? Btw, the layer itself is using a luminosity blend mode. It is the gradient overlay portion of the style that is using the hard mix mode.
Thanks,
Ron

hmm I have CS (8) it does not do that
it saves the layer blend modes
I never upgraded to CS2 I think I will wait til the next one (this is more than sufficient for what I do)

is it in PSD format??

Same behavior on my computer. I think you found a bug. Chris Cox, are you out there?

Peter
R
ronviers
Nov 9, 2006
Peter Wollenberg wrote:

Peter

I don’t mind that much. After twenty five years of Microsoft instability one slip by Adobe’s QC seems like some pretty small potatoes.

Thanks,
Ron
R
ronviers
Nov 9, 2006
KatWoman wrote:

hmm I have CS (8) it does not do that
it saves the layer blend modes
I never upgraded to CS2 I think I will wait til the next one (this is more than sufficient for what I do)

I think this is a good time to wait. I think HDR is technically compelling but aesthetically disappointing. Smart objects and raw important but they seem very intermediate to me – in CS3 they will be great. I think you would like the spot healing brush and vanishing point though.

Thanks,
Ron

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections