B
Posted By
Beemer
Sep 10, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
In saving jpg photographs from PS7 to display on my iPAQ 5550 what is the optimum file resolution as far as image quality is concerned?

I have iPAQ image viewer, WM2003 Pictures, WM2003 Media

Should the saved resolution be the same as the ipaq native screen or a multiple? Is it better for me to try to use an optimum size than let the ppc application resize "to fit"?

(posted also to Photoshop groups)

Beemer

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

B
Beemer
Sep 10, 2004
In article ,
says…
In saving jpg photographs from PS7 to display on my iPAQ 5550 what is the optimum file resolution as far as image quality is concerned?
Should the saved resolution be the same as the ipaq native screen or a multiple? Is it better for me to try to use an optimum size than let the ppc application resize "to fit"?

I should have added for those not familiar with the ipAQ 5550 the screen resolution is 240 x 320

Beemer
B
Beemer
Sep 10, 2004
In article <mwf0d.4078$
says…
"Beemer" wrote in message
In article ,
says…
Should the saved resolution be the same as the ipaq native screen or a
Björn,

Thanks for the advice. The only remaining decision is whether to rotate landscape photos and resize to the same 1.33 ratio giving 180 x 240 so that all can be viewed slide show like without constant turning the iPAQ 90 deg.

Beemer
Sep 10, 2004
i agree with the rotation

fwiw, irfanview http://irfanview.com has the ability to "batch process" a large number of files in one pass… reducing the size, rotating the image and setting the jpeg compression at the same time… have used it to process hundreds of images at once.

Further, you may want to look at the image viewing apps for the ppc that are around…. most offer full screen slide shows and use the ppc controls to fwd back through a folder.

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
B
bagal
Sep 12, 2004
Hi Beemer

FWIW I find 320 x 240 a little too lossy and the details isn’t there when zoomed

I prefer a minimum of 640 x 480 – it seems to retain most of the fine detail when viewed with XnView on PPC

Yes! There is such a thing! A free (or should I put that as F-R-E-E) image viewer for the PPC 2002/2003

Have a look at xnview website and it allows an install to card ratrher than default directory of main memory.

Xnview seems to default to showing the full image within the iPAQ screen and allows preset zoom too

HTH

Articus

ps – with IrfanView as a free image resizer and XnView as free image viewer with types for PC and PPC well – the wurld is your oyster m8 – go for it!

A

"Beemer" wrote in message

Beemer
B
Beemer
Sep 14, 2004
In article <#>, "Beverly Howard [Ms-
MVP/MobileDev]" <BevNoSpamBevHoward.com> says…
i agree with the rotation

fwiw, irfanview http://irfanview.com has the ability to "batch process" a large number of files in one pass… reducing the size, rotating the image and setting the jpeg compression at the same time… have used it to process hundreds of images at once.

Further, you may want to look at the image viewing apps for the ppc that are around…. most offer full screen slide shows and use the ppc controls to fwd back through a folder.
Bev, thanks for the tip

Beemer

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections