R
Posted By
red
Sep 9, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
How do I make a color over lay ? After spending hours looking a all kinds of tutorials I have yet to find anything that explains this. They just say "make a color overlay."

I have a picture in Layer 0. I wan’t to overlay a colored, partially transparent layer over the picture. If I click on the layer, up comes "layer styles", and if I click on "color overlay", the picture turns red. If I decrease the opaqeness, the red decreases but there’s no picture there anymore.

If I make another layer and try to add a cover overlay to that, nothing happens no matter what I do. The picture in layer one is there, but there is never any overlay.

red

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

MR
Mike Russell
Sep 9, 2004
red wrote:
How do I make a color over lay ? After spending hours looking a all kinds of tutorials I have yet to find anything that explains this. They just say "make a color overlay."

I have a picture in Layer 0. I wan’t to overlay a colored, partially transparent layer over the picture. If I click on the layer, up comes "layer styles", and if I click on "color overlay", the picture turns red. If I decrease the opaqeness, the red decreases but there’s no picture there anymore.

If I make another layer and try to add a cover overlay to that, nothing happens no matter what I do. The picture in layer one is there, but there is never any overlay.

Red, you are very close.

In layer styles, click on the color overlay item on the left side of the dialog – not the checkbox but the text. It will highlight and the slider controlling the color overlay opacity will be visible in the right half of the dialog.

Mike Russell
www.curvemeister.com
www.geigy.2y.net
R
red
Sep 9, 2004
Mike Russell wrote:

red wrote:

Red, you are very close.

In layer styles, click on the color overlay item on the left side of the dialog – not the checkbox but the text. It will highlight and the slider controlling the color overlay opacity will be visible in the right half of the dialog
I’ve tried this but I can’t get it to work.
Do I do this on the same layer the picture is on, or do I make a new layer and do this on that layer ?

red
Sep 9, 2004
"red" wrote in message

red

Create an fill/adjustment layer with solid color above your picture. (Layer > New fill layer > Solid color)
Choose the color you want for the overlay.
Choose overlay from the mode setting (in the layer palette).

/PB
R
red
Sep 9, 2004
Peter B. wrote:
Create an fill/adjustment layer with solid color above your picture. (Layer > New fill layer > Solid color)
/PB

OK thanks- that worked.
R
red
Sep 9, 2004
red wrote:

Peter B. wrote:

/PB

OK thanks- that worked.
except I can’t figure out how to do it in a rollover in imageready I’m following this tutorial, but this happened on three other tutorials too:
http://www.planetphotoshop.com/smith11.html
I get to this part, about halfway down:
To change the rollover, apply a color overlay layer effect to the button text."

It doesn’t tell you how to do that. I click on the over state, and then layer style, and the options are all whited out.

red
MR
Mike Russell
Sep 9, 2004
red wrote:
Mike Russell wrote:

red wrote:

I have a picture in Layer 0. I wan’t to overlay a colored, partially transparent layer over the picture. If I click on the layer, up comes "layer styles", and if I click on "color overlay", the picture turns
red. If I decrease the opaqeness, the red decreases but there’s no picture there anymore.

Red, you are very close.

In layer styles, click on the color overlay item on the left side of the dialog – not the checkbox but the text. It will highlight and the slider controlling the color overlay opacity will be visible in the right half of the dialog
Do I do this on the same layer the picture is on, or do I make a new layer and do this on that layer ?

The same layer the picture is on. If it still doesn’t work email me and I’ll send you a psd with a color overlay.

Mike Russell
www.curvemeister.com
www.geigy.2y.net
R
red
Sep 10, 2004
Mike Russell wrote:
The same layer the picture is on. If it still doesn’t work email me and I’ll send you a psd with a color overlay.
Thanks.
I did get a plain ol color overlay to work, but I’m still stumped on how to do it in a rollover state. I can make the rollover state, but when I add a layer style to it the overlay in the style always covers the entire picture.

How do I limit the overlay to just the rollover state ?
Maybe you could send me an example of a simple rollover. I’m pretty pissed off at the moment at how bad all the instructions are. It seems like it should be simpler.
My email address is a real address I use just for usenet:
MR
Mike Russell
Sep 10, 2004
red wrote:
Mike Russell wrote:
Thanks.
I did get a plain ol color overlay to work, but I’m still stumped on how to do it in a rollover state. I can make the rollover state, but when I add a layer style to it the overlay in the style always covers the
entire picture.

How do I limit the overlay to just the rollover state ?
Maybe you could send me an example of a simple rollover. I’m pretty pissed off at the moment at how bad all the instructions are. It seems like it should be simpler.
My email address is a real address I use just for usenet:

Are you adding the overlay style in ImageReady? It should work as advertised in Imageready. I’ve emailed you an image with Normal, Over, and Down states, each with a different color overlay.

Mike Russell
www.curvemeister.com
www.geigy.2y.net
R
red
Sep 10, 2004
Mike Russell wrote:
Are you adding the overlay style in ImageReady? It should work as advertised in Imageready. I’ve emailed you an image with Normal, Over, and Down states, each with a different color overlay.

That’s good as far as it goes, but I can do that all right. How do I make the rollover effect a color overlay on just one slice ?

Here is a file: http://reenie.org/test

You’ll notice in the rollover pallet there is a color overlay in the overstate, but it doesn’t show up anywhere in the actual picture. Where is it, and how do I make it only show up in the slice in the middle of the picture ?

Thanks for the help.

red
MR
Mike Russell
Sep 10, 2004
red wrote:
Mike Russell wrote:

That’s good as far as it goes, but I can do that all right. How do I make the rollover effect a color overlay on just one slice ?
Here is a file: http://reenie.org/test

You’ll notice in the rollover pallet there is a color overlay in the overstate, but it doesn’t show up anywhere in the actual picture. Where
is it, and how do I make it only show up in the slice in the middle of the picture ?

Thanks for the help.

Red,

I get it. You have a clear layer with a red overlay that kicks in for the rollover. This is logical, but simply won’t work because the overlay is applied only to the image data it is applied to.

You need to duplicate the image data to a new layer, and apply your overlay effect to the upper layer. Basically the background layer is ignored as far as the overlay is concerned.

The basic problem is that ImageReady will not unlock the background layer so that you can add effects to it. If you force the issue by unlocking the background layer in Photoshop, ImageReady will disable the rollover feature altogether.

ImageReady is girly man software. This is why people use Fireworks. —

Mike Russell
www.curvemeister.com
www.geigy.2y.net
R
red
Sep 10, 2004
Mike Russell wrote:
I get it. You have a clear layer with a red overlay that kicks in for the rollover. This is logical, but simply won’t work because the overlay is applied only to the image data it is applied to.

You need to duplicate the image data to a new layer, and apply your overlay effect to the upper layer. Basically the background layer is ignored as far as the overlay is concerned.

The basic problem is that ImageReady will not unlock the background layer so that you can add effects to it. If you force the issue by unlocking the background layer in Photoshop, ImageReady will disable the rollover feature altogether.

ImageReady is girly man software. This is why people use Fireworks.

Hey, I got it to work ! Here’s a menu with a couple states with layer effects on just one slice for two rollover states.
http:\\rainbowfamily.info

Well not really. One of the layers, the layer in the middle, is actually a copy of the middle of the background. Thanks again for the help.

red
R
Raven
Sep 14, 2004
"red" ‘s recent missive, YIZ%c.1048722$, sent
9/9/04 10:24 AM, was inscribed as follows:

Mike Russell wrote:

red wrote:

Red, you are very close.

red

I think you want layer MODE, not layer styles…..

³I find that incessant whining helps to
ease the existential pain.²
(Spam Trap: remove the shadow to mail me)
MR
Mike Russell
Sep 14, 2004
Raven wrote:
"red" ‘s recent missive, YIZ%c.1048722$,
sent 9/9/04 10:24 AM, was inscribed as follows:

Mike Russell wrote:

red wrote:

Red, you are very close.

red

I think you want layer MODE, not layer styles…..

It’s layer style. You get to it using the Layer>Layer Style menu item.

There is an overlay layer mode, but that’s a different thing entirely. —

Mike Russell
www.curvemeister.com
www.geigy.2y.net
R
Raven
Sep 15, 2004
"Mike Russell" ‘s recent missive,
6%H1d.19617$, sent 9/14/04 3:53 PM, was
inscribed as follows:

How do I make a color over lay ?
I have a picture in Layer 0. I wan’t to overlay a colored, partially transparent layer over the picture.

OK, if I understand your question correctly, you want to ‘tint’ your picture a color by placing a translucent layer of color on top of it.

Here are two ways to do this.

1. Make a solid layer of the desired color as a separate layer in top of your picture. Set the Layer Mode (pop-up menu at the top of the layers palette) to Color. (Or Overlay, or Hue – experiment with modes and opacity until you find a look you like.)

2. In the Layer Styles dialog, set your Color Overlay using the Blend Mode pop-up menu exactly the same as the Layer Mode above – this setting accomplishes the exact same thing as adding the extra layer… If your image disappears when you do this, go to the Blending Option at the top of the Layer Style Dialog, and make sure the Fill Opacity slider is at 100%

These are both non-destructive edits, meaning you can save (as long as your file in still in layers, and go back and remove the colorization later. If this is not a concern, (and you should always work on a copy anyway, right?) you can also use the Hue Saturation Adjustment, check the Colorize checkbox, and adjust the tint however you like it, using the Hue, Saturation and Brightness sliders. You could also convert the file to a duotone, and set Black and your desired tint color as the two colors used by the duotone.

Hope that helps. 😀

Raven

³I find that incessant whining helps to
ease the existential pain.²
(Spam Trap: remove the shadow to mail me)

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections