MI
Posted By
mike irvan
Aug 30, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I run my own web/graphics design business. I have been using adobe photoshop 7 for the past year now, and am planning on upgrading and also buying some other graphic design softeware to help expand my design techniques. I was thinking on purchasing adobe illustrator to use with photoshop, but i really wasn’t for sure. can someone tell me what software I should get for graphics design?

thanks,
Mike Irvan

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

S
Stephan
Aug 30, 2004
"mike irvan" wrote in message
I run my own web/graphics design business. I have been using adobe photoshop 7 for the past year now, and am planning on upgrading and also buying some other graphic design softeware to help expand my design techniques. I was thinking on purchasing adobe illustrator to use with photoshop, but i really wasn’t for sure. can someone tell me what software I should get for graphics design?

Thanks for the laugh!
Stephan
J
jrzyguy
Aug 31, 2004
that was kinda mean stephan…..but u got me laughing too.

MIke…where is your business? would you hire me? i work for a lame graphics group on wall street…and would LOVE the opportunity to work for a graphics house that has to ask about illustrator. My starting rate is 30 bucks an hour..plus 5 weeks vacation…plus a week of personal time….plus i want further training at NYU.

"Stephan" wrote in message

Thanks for the laugh!
Stephan

N
noone
Aug 31, 2004
In article ,
internet.com says…

thanks,
Mike Irvan

Mike,

I’d look at upgrading to the "Premium" (I think that that is what Adobe calls the full-boat product) CS set. This can be done with your existing PS license. Next, for Web, I’d choose the entire Macromedia Studio MX (2005?) set, and finally, Corel’s Painter 8 (9 in due out soon). This will allow you do almost anything. You will have overlap, i.e. Fireworks/ImageReady, GoLive/ Dreamweaver, etc. but your personal work-flow will soon dictate what you use, when.

Hunt
MR
Mike Russell
Aug 31, 2004

You may have the best success if you pick whether you are going to focus on print or web design, and get a good portfolio, or set of web pages, going.

For web design, I’d suggest expanding to DreamWeaver MX and Fireworks, and use them to add content and behavior to the images you design in Photoshop. The 30 day eval for these programs is well worth trying.

Illustrator is of course a well accepted standard for graphics design for print, so if you are moving in that direction you may want to invest in Illustrator instead.

Mike Russell
www.curvemeister.com
www.geigy.2y.net
OR
O Ransen
Aug 31, 2004
On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 17:47:29 -0500, mike irvan
wrote:

Can someone tell me what software I should get for graphics design?

Have a look at these

Image effects:

http://www.ransen.com/repligator/

Image generation (tiled and non-tiled):

http://www.ransen.com/gliftic/

Unique and easy to use graphics programs
http://www.ransen.com

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections