BJ
Posted By
bruce james
Oct 1, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi newbee looking to procces raw files ,Have Canon 300, Would like to read up and adopt method and not spend to much please.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

BH
Bill Hilton
Oct 2, 2006
bruce james wrote:
Hi newbee looking to procces raw files ,Have Canon 300, Would like to read up and adopt method and not spend to much please.

Bruce Fraser’s books on the RAW converter are pretty good, the first was "Camera RAW with Adobe Photoshop CS" and later a 2nd one for CS 2 ….
JB
just bob
Oct 4, 2006
"Bill Hilton" wrote in message
bruce james wrote:
Hi newbee looking to procces raw files ,Have Canon 300, Would like to read
up and adopt method and not spend to much please.

Bruce Fraser’s books on the RAW converter are pretty good, the first was "Camera RAW with Adobe Photoshop CS" and later a 2nd one for CS 2 …

Agreed. I own both books.

Only now I’m hearing a lot of pros working in portraits hate how ACR treats skin tones and as I’m just starting to explore do more of this kind of work and I am concerned.

It seems many are doing quite well with Canon’s DPP (for skin tones). I’d sure hate to give up the workflow I’ve established with Bridge for my sports work which lets me use actions to automate my output, but with portraits I’m probably not going to output a few hundred pictures at a time. Unless I do a wedding, of course.

I had a quick look at the latest DPP and it’s completely foreign to me after working with ACR for a couple years. And then I read DPP does not do highlight recovery like ACR, and really requires you to be much better at getting the exposure correct in camera…. which is exactly the reason I’m shooting raw: so I can change go +/- two stops!
BH
Bill Hilton
Oct 4, 2006
"Bill Hilton" wrote

Bruce Fraser’s books on the RAW converter are pretty good, the first was "Camera RAW with Adobe Photoshop CS" and later a 2nd one for CS 2

just bob wrote:

Agreed. I own both books.

Only now I’m hearing a lot of pros working in portraits hate how ACR treats skin tones and as I’m just starting to explore do more of this kind of work and I am concerned.

I’d think that since they’re shooting under controlled conditions for white balance and lighting intensity it should be fairly easy to create a ‘custom’ setting for different skin tones and apply them to the RAW files, but maybe not … some of these guys are probably photographers first and Photoshop jockeys second and don’t know how easy some things can be.

It seems many are doing quite well with Canon’s DPP (for skin tones).

I’ve tried Canon DPP and felt it was not as good as Photoshop’s RAW converter, and I felt both were not as good as Capture One … getting pleasing skin tones in C1 is made easier by the custom profiles, which are more flexible than Photoshop’s method I feel (plus the workflow is faster, the out-of-focus areas have cleaner demosaicing and the areas with detail seem to have finer detail).

Here are two examples of Capture One custom profile support for one of my Canon cameras, five different skin tone profiles from Magne Nielsen (spelling suspect) that give different results for these six different skin complexions as you can see in these two jpegs … this makes it easier to get the right tones quickly.

http://members.aol.com/bhilton665/tests/c1_skin_tone_profile _1.jpg http://members.aol.com/bhilton665/tests/c1_skin_tone_profile _2.jpg

And then I read DPP does not do
highlight recovery like ACR, and really requires you to be much better at getting the exposure correct in camera….

But getting the correct exposure should be very simple to do when shooting studio portraits …

Bill

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections