A
Posted By
arnstein
Oct 1, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have Photoshop CS2. I suspect Photoshop can do this (match color function?) but I can’t get it right.

I have a JPEG from a compact digicam that has bad color balance. The digicam (a Casio EX-S500) doesn’t have outstanding color rendition in any case, and I screwed things up badly by choosing the wrong white balance setting on the camera. In particular, I set the color balance on the digicam to "sunny" and took pictures in the late afternoon, outdoors. I think I should have used the "shade" white balance on the Casio.

I tried Photoshop’s "photo filter"/"warming" functions, but none of them solved this problem.

The bad JPEG features the face of a woman, and this woman’s face is also featured in a second picture I have, which I will call the "good JPEG." This photo was taken with a Canon S80 and has very appealing colors.

What I would like to do is capture some color statistics from the woman’s face in the "good JPEG." I would like Photoshop to compute a color transformation that, when applied to the woman’s face in the "bad JPEG," causes the statistics of the two faces (bad JPEG and good JPEG) to match.

Finally, I would like to apply the computed color transformation to the ENTIRE bad JPEG (not just the woman’s face).

Is this what Photoshop "match color" is supposed to do? I tried it, but it did not result in a good looking picture.

If you have read this far, I thank you for your time and consideration. —
David Arnstein
arnstein+

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

MR
Mike Russell
Oct 1, 2006
"David Arnstein" wrote in message
I have Photoshop CS2. I suspect Photoshop can do this (match color function?) but I can’t get it right.

I have a JPEG from a compact digicam that has bad color balance. The digicam (a Casio EX-S500) doesn’t have outstanding color rendition in any case, and I screwed things up badly by choosing the wrong white balance setting on the camera. In particular, I set the color balance on the digicam to "sunny" and took pictures in the late afternoon, outdoors. I think I should have used the "shade" white balance on the Casio.

I tried Photoshop’s "photo filter"/"warming" functions, but none of them solved this problem.

The bad JPEG features the face of a woman, and this woman’s face is also featured in a second picture I have, which I will call the "good JPEG." This photo was taken with a Canon S80 and has very appealing colors.
What I would like to do is capture some color statistics from the woman’s face in the "good JPEG." I would like Photoshop to compute a color transformation that, when applied to the woman’s face in the "bad JPEG," causes the statistics of the two faces (bad JPEG and good JPEG) to match.
Finally, I would like to apply the computed color transformation to the ENTIRE bad JPEG (not just the woman’s face).

Is this what Photoshop "match color" is supposed to do? I tried it, but it did not result in a good looking picture.

If you have read this far, I thank you for your time and consideration.

Hi David. One way to do this is to pick one or two reference points on the image, and use curves to match the numeric values to one another. You may find this is easier to do in Lab mode, with a single reference point.

There are some canned "daylight to incandescent" curves at the curvemeister site that are designed to fix a similar problem:
http://www.curvemeister.com/tutorials/what_ails_you/index.ht m

If I can get your permission to consider using this image as an example at my web site, I’ll take a shot at fixing it.

Mike Russell
www.curvemeister.com/forum/
T
Tacit
Oct 1, 2006
In article <efnpic$6ji$>,
(David Arnstein) wrote:

Try the Curves command (Image->Adjustment->Curves). Color correction is something it excels at.

Art, photography, shareware, polyamory, literature, kink: all at http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
Nanohazard, Geek shirts, and more: http://www.villaintees.com

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections