JM
Posted By
John McWilliams
Sep 5, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I just cannot find out what I’ve done wrong in trying to create an action in PS CS (I).

It does what I want until I get to having it close the window. It puts up a dialogue box asking do I want to save it and at what level of compression. I’ve read the help files, tried new "endings" to the action, sometimes clicking on the ok box, sometimes hitting Enter, sometimes Return (Mac, OS X.4. 7). I then run batch via Image Browser and set various options there, but cannot get away from dialogue box, so I have to manually o.k. each one.

Related: if the images had been opened and saved in PS (say via Russell Brown’s scripts), this problem wouldn’t occur, would it, as the image size had already been set?

John McWilliams

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

R
Roberto
Sep 5, 2006
I believe any save commands in an action will just save over the previous file with the same name. So if you have 50 files and are batching them when you done you will only have one batch processed file because the action keeps over writing it.

You can turn dialog boxes on and off in actions, its the little dialog box shaped icon next to the action steps in the action palette. If the icon is there then the dialog box will pop up. If it isn’t it won’t. However you will over writing the file.

I would suggest taking out any save and open commands in your actions and let the batching part of Photoshop handle that. In batch you can set the directory or files to work on and set it to save them some place else. This way you will not just keep over writing your file.

R

"John McWilliams" wrote in message
I just cannot find out what I’ve done wrong in trying to create an action in PS CS (I).

It does what I want until I get to having it close the window. It puts up a dialogue box asking do I want to save it and at what level of compression. I’ve read the help files, tried new "endings" to the action, sometimes clicking on the ok box, sometimes hitting Enter, sometimes Return (Mac, OS X.4. 7). I then run batch via Image Browser and set various options there, but cannot get away from dialogue box, so I have to manually o.k. each one.

Related: if the images had been opened and saved in PS (say via Russell Brown’s scripts), this problem wouldn’t occur, would it, as the image size had already been set?

John McWilliams
AM
Andrew Morton
Sep 6, 2006
John McWilliams wrote:

Try using File->Save As… and altering all the settings (if they are already on what you want, change then change back), then close the window.

Andrew
K
KatWoman
Sep 7, 2006
"Andrew Morton" wrote in message
John McWilliams wrote:

Try using File->Save As… and altering all the settings (if they are already on what you want, change then change back), then close the window.
Andrew
OR use "save for web " if you are making jpegs for internet sites, it will bypass the dialog as you set the options for saving in Image Ready make sure to make a different folder to save them in so it won’t ask do you want to replace the file each time

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections