Posted By
Nig
Aug 18, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi guys,

Can someone please explain to me what the difference is between PS 6.0 and CS? I have recently subscribed to Computer Arts and got a book called Hidden Power of Photoshop CS and to be honest I don’t have a clue.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Nig

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

N
noone
Aug 18, 2004
In article <cfuv0u$hnt$>, nigs1000"BOGOFF"@enjay2002. fsnet.co.uk says…
Hi guys,

Can someone please explain to me what the difference is between PS 6.0 and CS? I have recently subscribed to Computer Arts and got a book called Hidden Power of Photoshop CS and to be honest I don’t have a clue.

Nig

Well, for starters, CS (ver 8) is an upgrade from 7, which is an upgrade from
6. To be more specific, 7 mades some interface changes over 6, and added
features, like the Browser for file management and thumbnail viewing. CS kept the feel of 7’s interface, but added more features, plus enhanced some existing (in 7), like the Browser. It got better and more useful. Two of the biggest differences (for me, at least) were the ability to do far more editing of 16bit images, and a built-in RAW conversion plug-in – it’s US$90 for v7, and best of all is Adjustment>Highlight&Shadow. Is this upgrade worth it to you? Only you can be the judge of that. Since I’ve upgraded with every release since v2 (except for 5.5), I can say that CS is the most exciting upgrade since Layers were added (v4?). CS has many worthwhile additions, and enhancements (for me, again), but there may be a touch of a learning curve coming from 6, because of some subtle, but noticable interface changes.

Hunt
MR
Michael Riddle
Aug 18, 2004
An additional thing to consider, if you have a windows machine, is that you must use Windows XP or Windows 2000.

Mike

On 18 Aug 2004 14:12:43 GMT, (Hunt) wrote:

In article <cfuv0u$hnt$>, nigs1000"BOGOFF"@enjay2002. fsnet.co.uk says…
Hi guys,

Nig

Well, for starters, CS (ver 8) is an upgrade from 7, which is an upgrade from
6. To be more specific, 7 mades some interface changes over 6, and added
features, like the Browser for file management and thumbnail viewing. CS kept the feel of 7’s interface, but added more features, plus enhanced some existing (in 7), like the Browser. It got better and more useful. Two of the biggest differences (for me, at least) were the ability to do far more editing of 16bit images, and a built-in RAW conversion plug-in – it’s US$90 for v7, and best of all is Adjustment>Highlight&Shadow. Is this upgrade worth it to you? Only you can be the judge of that. Since I’ve upgraded with every release since v2 (except for 5.5), I can say that CS is the most exciting upgrade since Layers were added (v4?). CS has many worthwhile additions, and enhancements (for me, again), but there may be a touch of a learning curve coming from 6, because of some subtle, but noticable interface changes.
Hunt
BG
Bob G
Aug 19, 2004
And you might as well wait for Adobe to release the next upgrade to fix the problem they created when they used HTML pages for helps. XP SP2 wont open HTML pages so Adobes save a few bucks tactics are going to cost me a bundle.

As to the upgrades from ver 6, v7 was to make menus like PSP had and they only cost you 165 bucks more. v CS was to provide copy protection like XP had and it only cost you 175 bucks more, so I’m guessing v CSA will be to restore helps and will cost you 185 bucks more. And there will have to be a version CSB soon, because PSP is leapfrogging Adobe again with their v 9, and it only cost a hundred bucks.

I would gladly trade my newer version of PS for a nice v 5.5 where the program had all the capabilities, and had workable help screens.

"Michael Riddle" wrote in message
An additional thing to consider, if you have a windows machine, is that you must use Windows XP or Windows 2000.

Mike

On 18 Aug 2004 14:12:43 GMT, (Hunt) wrote:

In article <cfuv0u$hnt$>,
nigs1000"BOGOFF"@enjay2002.
fsnet.co.uk says…
Hi guys,

Can someone please explain to me what the difference is between PS 6.0
and
CS? I have recently subscribed to Computer Arts and got a book called Hidden Power of Photoshop CS and to be honest I don’t have a clue.

Nig

Well, for starters, CS (ver 8) is an upgrade from 7, which is an upgrade
from
6. To be more specific, 7 mades some interface changes over 6, and added features, like the Browser for file management and thumbnail viewing. CS
kept
the feel of 7’s interface, but added more features, plus enhanced some existing (in 7), like the Browser. It got better and more useful. Two of
the
biggest differences (for me, at least) were the ability to do far more
editing
of 16bit images, and a built-in RAW conversion plug-in – it’s US$90 for
v7,
and best of all is Adjustment>Highlight&Shadow. Is this upgrade worth it
to
you? Only you can be the judge of that. Since I’ve upgraded with every
release
since v2 (except for 5.5), I can say that CS is the most exciting upgrade since Layers were added (v4?). CS has many worthwhile additions, and enhancements (for me, again), but there may be a touch of a learning
curve
coming from 6, because of some subtle, but noticable interface changes.
Hunt
MC
MArtin Chiselwitt
Aug 20, 2004
I would gladly trade my newer version of PS for a nice v 5.5 where the program had all the capabilities, and had workable help screens.

OK, I’ll swap with you!
B
bagal
Aug 22, 2004
"MArtin Chiselwitt" wrote in message

OK, I’ll swap with you!

Ordinarily I would join this queue but PSCS is running sweet-de-sweet and I have still to motivate my braincells to look at the other programs in Creative Suite – ah so much to do so little time

ars longa vita brevis?

Artio

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections