Posted By
Dave B
Aug 18, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Godammit, this is making me nuts…

I asked this once before and no one seemed to know the answer – and now it’s happened again! Please – someone else must have experienced this (and hopefully found a solution). Every now and again (once every 6 or 8 weeks or so?), I open Photoshop CS, and all my preferences have reset as if it was my first time opening the program! I have to go through and redo all my preferences from scratch – from color managment to scratch disks to brushes to . It’s so incredibly f—ing annoying!

Anyone???

Thanks… 🙂

Dave

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

J
Jester
Aug 18, 2004
"Dave B" wrote in
news:NaDUc.26529$:

I asked this once before and no one seemed to know the answer – and now
it’s happened again! Please – someone else must have experienced this (and hopefully found a solution). Every now and again (once every 6 or 8 weeks or so?), I open Photoshop CS, and all my preferences have reset as if it was my first time opening the program! I have to go through and redo all my preferences from scratch – from color managment to scratch disks to brushes to . It’s so incredibly f—ing annoying!

Anyone???

Thanks… 🙂

Dave

Simply restore your backup copy of "Adobe Photoshop CS Prefs.psp" (or whatever it’s called in CS – I’m still on 7)

You DO have a backup don’t you?
DB
Dave B
Aug 18, 2004
"Jester" wrote in message
"Dave B" wrote in

it’s happened again! Please – someone else must have experienced this (and hopefully found a solution). Every now and again (once every 6 or 8 weeks or so?), I open Photoshop CS, and all my preferences have reset as if it was my first time opening the program! I have to go through and redo all my preferences from scratch – from color managment to scratch disks to brushes to . It’s so incredibly f—ing annoying!

Anyone???

Thanks… 🙂

Dave

Simply restore your backup copy of "Adobe Photoshop CS Prefs.psp" (or whatever it’s called in CS – I’m still on 7)

I do now… 🙂
J
Jester
Aug 18, 2004
"Dave B" wrote in
news:G6LUc.26810$:

"Jester" wrote in message
"Dave B" wrote in

Anyone???

Thanks… 🙂

Dave

I do now… 🙂

I learnt the hard way too – my preferences got trashed for some reason that’s now lost in the depths of time and I felt the same way as you when I had to re-set everything. Hence the backup.

If it happens too often, you could even write a little batch file (Oops – my DOS roots are showing!) to copy a backup file over the trashed one. Cuts all the pain down to a double-click.
R
Ryadia_
Aug 21, 2004
Dave B wrote:

I asked this once before and no one seemed to know the answer – and now it’s happened again! Please – someone else must have experienced this (and hopefully found a solution). Every now and again (once every 6 or 8 weeks or so?), I open Photoshop CS, and all my preferences have reset as if it was my first time opening the program! I have to go through and redo all my preferences from scratch – from color managment to scratch disks to brushes to . It’s so incredibly f—ing annoying!

Anyone???

Thanks… 🙂

Dave
I think the problem is Windows re-inventing itself every so often. Turn off system restore and it won’t happen. Of course one day you won’t get Windows started but hey… At least your Adobe preferences will be untouched!

Ryadia
FD
Frances Del Rio
Aug 21, 2004
I have been using Photoshop for about 10 years now, and this has happened to me also, a number of times, no matter what machine (windows or mac), no matter what version of PS.. it almost seems like PS preferences "expire" after a while.. would also love for someone to shed some light on this one..

Frances

Ryadia wrote:

Dave B wrote:

I asked this once before and no one seemed to know the answer – and now it’s happened again! Please – someone else must have experienced this (and
hopefully found a solution). Every now and again (once every 6 or 8 weeks
or so?), I open Photoshop CS, and all my preferences have reset as if it was
my first time opening the program! I have to go through and redo all my preferences from scratch – from color managment to scratch disks to brushes
to . It’s so incredibly f—ing annoying!

Anyone???

Thanks… 🙂

Dave
I think the problem is Windows re-inventing itself every so often. Turn off system restore and it won’t happen. Of course one day you won’t get Windows started but hey… At least your Adobe preferences will be untouched!

Ryadia
FD
Frances Del Rio
Aug 21, 2004
Dave B wrote:

I’m on CS — on Windows 2000, I just ran a search in my C drive for .psp — search found nothing.. ????? yrs ago I was on a mac, prefs for all programs were stored in a prefs folder in system folder, I think… where are prefs sotred in Widnows?? thanks.. Frances
BD
Bob Davis
Aug 22, 2004
"Frances Del Rio" wrote in message

Dave B wrote:

I’m on CS — on Windows 2000, I just ran a search in my C drive for .psp — search found nothing.. ????? yrs ago I was on a mac, prefs for all programs were stored in a prefs folder in system folder, I think… where are prefs sotred in Widnows?? thanks.. Frances

Francis, it should be located in C:\Documents and Settings\<logon name>\Application data\Adobe\Photoshop\8.0\Adobe Photoshop CS settings.
J
Jester
Aug 22, 2004
Frances Del Rio wrote in berlin.de:

Dave B wrote:

Actually Dave B wrote nothing of the sort – I did in reply to his original post!
FD
Frances Del Rio
Aug 24, 2004
Bob Davis wrote:

"Frances Del Rio" wrote in message

Dave B wrote:

Francis, it should be located in C:\Documents and Settings\<logon name>\Application data\Adobe\Photoshop\8.0\Adobe Photoshop CS settings.

Finally found it, it was "hidden" — had to turn "hidden" off.. thank you very much.. Frances

S
Stalwart
Aug 29, 2004
yea, this has beeen happening to me too for a while (ps7)…I would lov to learn a way to stop this to

Stalwar
———————————————————— ———– Posted via http://www.forum4designers.co
———————————————————— ———– View this thread: http://www.forum4designers.com/message112081.htm

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections