Posted By
SnowDevil
Jun 23, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hey,

I have a website I’ve just started where I’m going to fill it with a significant number of free video tutorials for Photoshop. I’m doing it for free because I know and enjoy using Photoshop and can offset my costs with ads after I get a decent level of traffic. I’ve got six up there so far, all aimed at beginners, and I’m interested in doing everything from quick explanations of simple concepts through to advanced tutorials on performing complex tasks. I would really appreciate some ideas though on what you guys think I should put up there. The URL is http://www.graphicsdistrict.com. There’s a link on the main page if you want to email me directly, or you can reply to this post.

Nathan

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

R
RivkahRosenfeld
Jun 23, 2006
I have an idea. It’s actually something that me and a whole lot of people in my profession talk about often- in fact we are looking to have someone teach us!
We design patterns that you use to sew with- it’s for art. However it doesn’t look so professional to hand draw and then scan it in. If you buy a book on this type of art, the patterns don’t look hand drawn, of course, and the text is written along the borders (which are curves).

How do you clean up the lines and how do you do the text?

If you could help then it would be amazing.

Ok something else that would be a great thing that I still don’t really succeed in-
How to take an image out of a photo (extract???) and save it as a new image. I have pictures on my website that are just cropped pictures. Not really good enough.
In case I’m not so clear what I mean, lets say you have a picture of a dog in the park, just take out the dog but leave the rest behind, then save the dog as a separate picture so it can be used somewhere else like on a website page.

THX!
Rivkah rosenfeld
http://rivkahrosenfeld.googlepages.com

wrote:
Hey,

I have a website I’ve just started where I’m going to fill it with a significant number of free video tutorials for Photoshop. I’m doing it for free because I know and enjoy using Photoshop and can offset my costs with ads after I get a decent level of traffic. I’ve got six up there so far, all aimed at beginners, and I’m interested in doing everything from quick explanations of simple concepts through to advanced tutorials on performing complex tasks. I would really appreciate some ideas though on what you guys think I should put up there. The URL is http://www.graphicsdistrict.com. There’s a link on the main page if you want to email me directly, or you can reply to this post.

Nathan
R
RivkahRosenfeld
Jun 23, 2006
I have an idea. It’s actually something that me and a whole lot of people in my profession talk about often- in fact we are looking to have someone teach us!
We design patterns that you use to sew with- it’s for art. However it doesn’t look so professional to hand draw and then scan it in. If you buy a book on this type of art, the patterns don’t look hand drawn, of course, and the text is written along the borders (which are curves).

Ok something else that would be a great thing that I still don’t really succeed in-
How to take an image out of a photo (extract???) and save it as a new image. I have pictures on my website that are just cropped pictures. Not really good enough.
In case I’m not so clear what I mean, lets say you have a picture of a dog in the park, just take out the dog but leave the rest behind, then save the dog as a separate picture so it can be used somewhere else like on a website page.

THX!
Rivkah rosenfeld

wrote:
Hey,

Nathan
N
noone
Jun 23, 2006
In article ,
says…

I’d think about using Adobe Illustrator to create vector images for the patterns, if I am correct in what you are seeking.

THX!
Rivkah rosenfeld

wrote:
[SNIP]

For the "extraction" process, probably the easiest would be to make a Selection with the Rectangular Marquee Tool (of the dog, in the above case), Ctrl-c (Copy), Ctrl-n (New File), which will open by default at the dimensions of the image in Clipboard (your Copy of the dog), Ctrl-v (Paste) to place the image of the dog into the new File, then Save_For_Web to save a Flattened version of this image in the JPG compression scheme that you wish/need. You may wish to first do Image>Image Size (depending on the pixel dimensions/depth of your dog image) to get the size to what you will need, then Save_For_Web.

You could also use the Crop Tool to eliminate the "park," Image>Image Size, as required, then Save_For_Web (just make sure NOT to overwrite the park & dog original image).

Hunt
N
noone
Jun 23, 2006
In article ,
says…
Hey,

Nathan

Nathan,

If you have not already done so, you might want to explore www.myjanee.com. She has a ton of PS tutorials there and you might want to "fill in any gaps" that her site doesn’t already address. I’d also recommend contacting My Janee, and asking if you can link to her site (and several other, existing, PS tutorial sites) from yours.

Hunt
R
ronviers
Jun 24, 2006
wrote:
Hey,

Nathan

Hi Nathan,
Being new to Photoshop, I know what I would like. I find ‘selections’ are important and overlooked.
Also, I find it easier to follow non-video based tutorials, espically if they are complicated. It may add to your add traffic if you break the tutorials into small chunks per page then have adds on each page. I know if someone went to the trouble of creating a tutorial then I have no problem looking at adds. I hate the flashing adds though.

Good luck,
Ron
R
ronviers
Jun 24, 2006
wrote:
Hey,

Nathan

I wanted to mention one more thing, I find it annoying and distracting for tutorials to mention keyboard shortcuts. Those can be printed out and referrenced later.
K
KatWoman
Jun 24, 2006
awesome wonderful dolls
loved looking

"Rivkah" wrote in message

THX!
Rivkah rosenfeld

wrote:
Hey,

Nathan
S
SnowDevil
Jun 26, 2006
Thanks Ron,

I’m making a couple of new tutorials now, one of which is an in-depth tutorial on the selection tools and various things they are useful for. I’m also writing a whole lot of code to improve the site in various areas, including being able to add comments directly to the site and to every page of content I put up. I’ll email you when the selections tutorial is up.

Nathan
www.graphicsdistrict.com

wrote:
wrote:
Hey,

Nathan

Hi Nathan,
Being new to Photoshop, I know what I would like. I find ‘selections’ are important and overlooked.
Also, I find it easier to follow non-video based tutorials, espically if they are complicated. It may add to your add traffic if you break the tutorials into small chunks per page then have adds on each page. I know if someone went to the trouble of creating a tutorial then I have no problem looking at adds. I hate the flashing adds though.
Good luck,
Ron

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections