Posted By
BabyDinosaur
Jun 8, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi

All my photos loaded up in Photoshop seem to be degraded in quality, like they’ve been reduced to 16-bit and had contrast hiked up. The same happens in Paint Shop Pro X.

However, Windows Picture Viewer, Picasa, and even Paint Shop Pro 7 show the image perfectly (this isn’t about my photographic skills ;o) ).

Does anyone know what’s happening here?

Thanks.

Paul

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

RG
Roy G
Jun 8, 2006
"BabyDinosaur" wrote in message
Hi

All my photos loaded up in Photoshop seem to be degraded in quality, like they’ve been reduced to 16-bit and had contrast hiked up. The same happens in Paint Shop Pro X.

However, Windows Picture Viewer, Picasa, and even Paint Shop Pro 7 show the image perfectly (this isn’t about my photographic skills ;o) ).

Thanks.

Paul

Hi.

Photoshop, and Paint Shop Pro X will be applying Colour Management to your Images. The on Screen results will depend on which Profiles have already been tagged to the Images, and on how the Programs have been set up.

Without Colour Management, you would have no idea what your images would look like on any other Computer.

Roy G
NS
Nicholas Sherlock
Jun 8, 2006
BabyDinosaur wrote:

Has your computer’s colour depth been set to 256 colours?

Cheers,
Nicholas Sherlock

http://www.sherlocksoftware.org
BH
Bill Hilton
Jun 8, 2006
BabyDinosaur wrote:
Hi

Probably caused by lack of a good monitor ICC profile since Photoshop and PSP X assume you have one and the other programs wouldn’t use the profile even if you did have one.

Run Adobe Gamma to generate a profile and see if that helps, or do View – Proof Setup – Monitor RGB to temporarily ignore the monitor profile in Photoshop … if doing this means the images now look the same as they do in Picasa etc then that’s proof the monitor profile is either bad or missing.

Bill
MR
Mike Russell
Jun 9, 2006

Bill’s suggestions are spot on, as usual. The problem is almost certainly with the monitor profile, or Photoshop’s configuration of the monitor profile.

I would add that under Windows Photoshop may ignore the system monitor profile in some situations unless you run Adobe Gamma, open the monitor profile, and close it without making modifications. The concept is very similar to giving the "scent" to a bloodhound. —
Mike Russell
www.curvemeister.com/forum/
B
BabyDinosaur
Jun 9, 2006
Thanks to everyone that’s answered. The monitor colour depth is absolutely fine, so when I get home tonight I’ll check out this monitor profile thing.

Really appreciate your help!

-P-

Mike Russell wrote:

Bill’s suggestions are spot on, as usual. The problem is almost certainly with the monitor profile, or Photoshop’s configuration of the monitor profile.

I would add that under Windows Photoshop may ignore the system monitor profile in some situations unless you run Adobe Gamma, open the monitor profile, and close it without making modifications. The concept is very similar to giving the "scent" to a bloodhound. —
Mike Russell
www.curvemeister.com/forum/
B
BabyDinosaur
Jun 9, 2006
Bill, your Monitor RGB solution did the trick. You’re a star!

Bill Hilton wrote:
Probably caused by lack of a good monitor ICC profile since Photoshop and PSP X assume you have one and the other programs wouldn’t use the profile even if you did have one.

Run Adobe Gamma to generate a profile and see if that helps, or do View – Proof Setup – Monitor RGB to temporarily ignore the monitor profile in Photoshop … if doing this means the images now look the same as they do in Picasa etc then that’s proof the monitor profile is either bad or missing.

Bill

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections