Posted By
ronviers
May 22, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi,
Am I better off setting Canon’s(bundled) raw converter to 2000 PPI (max) and letting the, presumably, more sophisticated interpolation algorithms in Photoshop make the changes to the printer’s resolution? Is it inherrently better to interpolate (extrapolate?) from a higher to lower PPI than from a lower to higher?

TIA,
Ron

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

JM
John McWilliams
May 23, 2006
wrote:
Hi,
Am I better off setting Canon’s(bundled) raw converter to 2000 PPI (max) and letting the, presumably, more sophisticated interpolation algorithms in Photoshop make the changes to the printer’s resolution? Is it inherrently better to interpolate (extrapolate?) from a higher to lower PPI than from a lower to higher?
As to the latter question, yes. Very yes.

I tend to convert from RAW at the default size, and shoot for 300 ppi for printing. I don’t try to interpolate upwards of that to try to match the printer’s dpi with the ppi I have set. It ends up that some of my prints, due to cropping, have less than 300 ppi when output.

As to "rezzing up" in PS from 300 ppi to the supposed printers "native resolution", I have read all kinds of nonsense, and some sense. Often folks confuse ppi with dpi, which makes conversations less intelligent.

If anyone has done definitive testing on rezzing up over 300 ppi for inkjet printers, I’d sure like to hear an estimate of what the improvement is in your estimation, as long as it’s a printer under $3000 US.

john mcwilliams

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections