Question: Wacom Intuos2 / Intuos3 – what’s the diff?

B
Posted By
BD
May 18, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hey, all.

I’m considering buying a Wacom tablet.

The 9×12 Intuos3 is almost $500. I am considering buying an Intuos2 second-hand.

I’ve never used one of these jobbies before, and while I expect the Intuos2 would do the job just fine I am curious about the basic differences between the ‘2’ and the ‘3’.

Anyone out there know?

Thanks!!

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

AM
Andrew Morton
May 18, 2006
BD wrote:
I’m considering buying a Wacom tablet.

The 9×12 Intuos3 is almost $500. I am considering buying an Intuos2 second-hand.

Do you really need a tablet that large? I find an A5 tablet sufficient for use over two monitors, but then I have it more to avoid mouse RSI than to be artistic (which I’m not).

I’ve never used one of these jobbies before, and while I expect the Intuos2 would do the job just fine I am curious about the basic differences between the ‘2’ and the ‘3’.

The main difference is the pen. The one that comes with the Intuos3 is fatter because it has a rubbery grip. I prefer the pen from the ‘2, and it’s annoying when I find myself holding my pen and trying to use someone else’s ‘3 tablet – they don’t talk to each other.

Andrew
B
BD
May 18, 2006
Do you really need a tablet that large?

No clue. ‘Need’ is obviously a relative term, but I’ve read posts from people who feel a lot more freedom of movement with the larger surface area. Personally, I doubt I would ‘need’ all that much working space, but I’d hate to blow money on a unit that was too small to be useable. Better too much area than too little – aside from price considerations, obviously. 😉

I prefer the pen from the ‘2.

Interesting. I guess as long as they’re both pressure sensitive and have similar resolution (dpi), then either should work for a newbie.

Thanks!
RB
Rudy Benner
May 18, 2006
"BD" wrote in message
Do you really need a tablet that large?

No clue. ‘Need’ is obviously a relative term, but I’ve read posts from people who feel a lot more freedom of movement with the larger surface area. Personally, I doubt I would ‘need’ all that much working space, but I’d hate to blow money on a unit that was too small to be useable. Better too much area than too little – aside from price considerations, obviously. 😉

I prefer the pen from the ‘2.

Interesting. I guess as long as they’re both pressure sensitive and have similar resolution (dpi), then either should work for a newbie.
Thanks!

I have the 3 in 9×12 and find it a bit bigger than I need, however, it can be mapped for a smaller area.

If I had to get another, I would go for the next smaller one. Save some money toward that second monitor and dual video card.

Flawless installation. Great software bundled with it. Very versatile.

Think of it as a BIG MOUSE with lots of extra features. It will work with more apps than just Photoshop. In fact, on my notebook, I use the tablet instead of my trackball mouse. At home, the logistics of my desk are different, I use both the tablet and the trackball.
B
BD
May 18, 2006
If I had to get another, I would go for the next smaller one.

Given that the normal range of movement for my mouse is about 4" x 3", I likely wouldn’t be using nearly all the real estate of the larger one.

I will try to borrow one for a while, and get a clearer sense of its ‘feel’ before I plunk down any cash on one. 😉
RB
Rudy Benner
May 18, 2006
"BD" wrote in message

Given that the normal range of movement for my mouse is about 4" x 3", I likely wouldn’t be using nearly all the real estate of the larger one.

I will try to borrow one for a while, and get a clearer sense of its ‘feel’ before I plunk down any cash on one. 😉

It takes a bit of time to get used to it.
N
nb
May 18, 2006
Use it for a couple of weeks to really get used to it and see how it changes your work. I wouldn’t work any other way for photo work now. But it did take getting used to. I can’t comment on difference between 2 and 3. I have a 3.

nb

"BD" wrote in message

J
Janee
May 19, 2006
Hi, BD!
I would advise strongly against getting the 9 x 12 tablet. I have one which I hate so much that my conscience won’t allow me to sell.

So get the 6 x 8. As for getting used to it, here’s my advice: Put your mouse completely AWAY — like in a drawer — for 3 full days. Unhook it and lose it.

Then use your tablet for ALL mousing tasks. Play Solitaire, do email, surf the groups… and maybe do a little bit of PS work.

You’ll feel like a pig on skates. You will want to give up and you will feel like you just tossed all that money into the loo.

But then at some point on Day 3, you’ll realize that the birds are singing once again, and you will love your tablet. 🙂
Good luck!

Always me,
Janee, ACE, ACI

No one else has your vision. No one else can do your art. —
Photoshop Tutorials, Art Challenge, and more! http://www.myJanee.com Online Photoshop classes — http://www.myJanee.com/classes.htm Remove 7 8 7 to reply
B
BD
May 19, 2006
I have one which I hate so much that my conscience won’t allow me to sell.

Hey, Janee.

So why do you hate it so much? Sheer vulgarity of size, or is there something empirically less functional about it than the smaller variants?

Have you tried both the versions (2 and 3)?

If you hate your 9×12 so much, you could always tell your conscience to just turn turn away for the time it takes for you to package it up, label it with my address, and pop it in the mailslot! 😉 Heck, I’d even be willing to bribe your conscience with cold hard cash!

Seriously, though – if you have one and do not use it, it does seem kind of tragic for it to be taking up shelf space, no? Not that I have a specific desire for the larger one, but I am interested in getting one second-hand, if it means I can avoid paying full retail for something that I’m not completely convinced of yet. If you reconsider, please let me know!

BD.
D
design1
May 20, 2006
BD wrote:

Hey, Janee.

So why do you hate it so much? Sheer vulgarity of size, or is there something empirically less functional about it than the smaller variants?

I have the 9 x 12 Intuous (yep, first generation) and love it because it fits with the way I work, which is longer and looser arm movements, plus I can put it on my lap or prop it at different angles for comfort. With a smaller tablet, you’re pretty much relegated to using it flat on the desktop.

It’s all a matter of personal preference. Think about how you would be most comfortable working, and make your decision on that basis.

I have used this tablet for (about) the last 10 years, for illustration and photo retouching, as a designer, artist and art director.
N
noone
May 20, 2006
In article ,
says…

Hey, Janee.

Have you tried both the versions (2 and 3)?

If you hate your 9×12 so much, you could always tell your conscience to just turn turn away for the time it takes for you to package it up, label it with my address, and pop it in the mailslot! 😉 Heck, I’d even be willing to bribe your conscience with cold hard cash!
Seriously, though – if you have one and do not use it, it does seem kind of tragic for it to be taking up shelf space, no? Not that I have a specific desire for the larger one, but I am interested in getting one second-hand, if it means I can avoid paying full retail for something that I’m not completely convinced of yet. If you reconsider, please let me know!

BD

My experience is almost the opposite of Janee’s. I have plenty of the big guys and love them. I have one of the 6×9’s and it never gets used, just sits on my wife’s computer for when I HAVE to do something on it. Amazing how personal preference comes into play with these things. Seems that it was Tacit, who narrowed the tablet-size useage situation down: if you draw with your fingers, you’ll like the smaller tablet, but if you draw with your arm, you’ll go for the bigger one. As I draw with my arm, it probably explains why I like the big ones. I’ve never tried the 18×18 (don’t even know if it’s still available), but even my 12×18 is a delight for ME to use.

Have you looked at Wacom’s Refurb. area? You are likely to see only "previous" models there, but all of the folk, that I know, who have bought these have never experienced a single problem and the price is really quite good. Also, beats wasting time on eBay.

I have NOT used the Intous 3, but have all other Wacom models since ArtZII, and love them. One complaint that I have had was that the mouse up to Intuous I didn’t feel right. My Intuous II mouse is still in the box, so I cannot comment on it. I keep my MS multi-button wheel mouse attached, and use both the tablet stylus and the MS mouse, depending on what it is, that I’m doing. I ought to get the II’s mouse out, and see if it’s better. In the old serial- port days, there were problems with a mouse and a tablet, but IIRC a driver fix handled that. I’ve had both since Win3 and no problems/conflicts.

Be warned – once you use a tablet, you will not be without it again.

Hunt

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections