J
Posted By
Jaime
Apr 25, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m editing a photo with lots of different layers. Each layer is quite large, lifted from a raw file. For some reason there are blue and grey boxes on my image that I can’t get rid of. They are the same boxes that surround an image when you open it in photoshop and have a small square in the top left hand corner with a simbol that looks like an unopened envelope with a number next to it. The thing is, instead of one surrounding my whole image there are lots all over my image. Is it something to do with the layers, are they surrounding a layer and remain even when I turn the layer to invisable? I take it this is something to do with a particular setting I have them on perhaps!?

Also I wanted to surround my text with a black outline but can’t seem to find a way to do it? Anyone got any hints?

Thanks a million guys 🙂

From
A wanna be photoshop wiz 😉

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

J
Jaime
Apr 25, 2006
Well I’ve just looked again and some of the little symbols that look like unopened envelopes acctually look like boxes withing boxes, it seem there are two different symbols.

Hope you can help!

Miss Jaime Johnson 🙂
E
edjh
Apr 25, 2006
Jaime wrote:
Well I’ve just looked again and some of the little symbols that look like unopened envelopes acctually look like boxes withing boxes, it seem there are two different symbols.

Hope you can help!

Miss Jaime Johnson 🙂
Turn off Slices. View>Slices.
If you have a bunch that you want to get rid of, View>Clear Slices.

Comic book sketches and artwork:
http://www.sover.net/~hannigan/edjh.html
Comics art for sale:
http://www.sover.net/~hannigan/batsale.html
LS
Larry Scripts
Apr 25, 2006
Sounds like you have slices showing. Select View>Show>Slices

Make sure there is no check mark next to the Slices in the above.

Larry
N
noone
Apr 25, 2006
In article ,
says…
I’m editing a photo with lots of different layers. Each layer is quite large, lifted from a raw file. For some reason there are blue and grey boxes on my image that I can’t get rid of. They are the same boxes that surround an image when you open it in photoshop and have a small square in the top left hand corner with a simbol that looks like an unopened envelope with a number next to it. The thing is, instead of one surrounding my whole image there are lots all over my image. Is it something to do with the layers, are they surrounding a layer and remain even when I turn the layer to invisable? I take it this is something to do with a particular setting I have them on perhaps!?
Also I wanted to surround my text with a black outline but can’t seem to find a way to do it? Anyone got any hints?

Thanks a million guys 🙂

From
A wanna be photoshop wiz 😉

Jaime,

As Ed and Larry have said, you probably have Slices on. There should be a small # inside the boxes.

To your second question: Make a new Layer, below your Text, but above the image Layer(s) and create your outline with the Shape Tool. This will create a Path, that can be Stroked with the Pencil, or Brush in your choice of color, to give you the desired outline. Do Not Fill the Shape, unless you want the Text to appear on a background, above the image Layer(s).

Hunt

NewsGuy.Com 30Gb $9.95 Carry Forward and On Demand Bandwidth
J
Jaime
Apr 25, 2006
Hay thank you so much Ed, Larry & Hunt!

You were exactly right and now my slices problem is solved! CHEERS, it was driving me mad.

Only thing is i still can’t really find a relyable way to outline text. I seem to only have a custom shape tool.

Jaime
N
noone
Apr 26, 2006
In article ,
says…

You were exactly right and now my slices problem is solved! CHEERS, it was driving me mad.

Only thing is i still can’t really find a relyable way to outline text. I seem to only have a custom shape tool.

Jaime

If I understand "outline text" as per your original post, you wish to have a shape around the type – rectangular? If you look at the Toolbox, on the right, and about 3 icons up (don’t have PS running right now), you will see a rectangle (or a polygon), depending on what you used last. If you hold the mouse over this icon, there is a flyout menu with several choices. If I understand correctly, you want the rectangle. Click on it, then click-drag around the Text. This will create a Shape, that is basically a Path. You can Stroke and/or Fill this Shape to create a rectangular box around the text. Add another Layer, via the Layer Palette, New Layer Icon, and Stroke/Fill. Make sure that this new Layer is above your image (maybe Background [italics] Layer) and below your Type Layer (if you Fill). Set the Pencil (or Brush) to the Size and Color that you wish to use and from the Paths Options (little arrow in upper right) choose to Stroke/Fill Path.

If this is NOT what you wish to do, let us know, and I’ll bet that someone will have the solution for you.

Hunt

NewsGuy.Com 30Gb $9.95 Carry Forward and On Demand Bandwidth
LS
Larry Scripts
Apr 26, 2006
Here’s a way to do the text outline.

To have the text on a layer by itself, create a new layer. First set the foreground color to black.
Then, set the background color to the color you want your text to be. Select the type tool to Horizontal Type mask tool.

Click on the image and enter you text. Click the check mark. Your text will now appear as a selection.
Select Edit>Fill and use the background color.
The selection will now be the background color.
Select Edit>Stoke and set the width to about 2 pixels and color black. Then OK.

To move the text and border. You have to expand your selection by 1 pixel greater than the border width.
You can then select the move tool. Click inside the text and then you can move it.

You can now deselect. You should have text with a black border.

Larry
T
Tacit
Apr 26, 2006
In article ,
"Jaime" wrote:

They are slices. They are telling you that someone has used the Slice tool to slice up the image into a bunch of separate pieces for use on a Web site.

You can turn off slices using the View menu, but they will still be there. If you do not want all the slices there, then select them all with the Slice Select tool and delete them, then turn off Slices in the View menu.

Art, photography, shareware, polyamory, literature, kink: all at http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
Nanohazard, Geek shirts, and more: http://www.villaintees.com
K
KatWoman
Apr 29, 2006
"Jaime" wrote in message

Jaime

make the text
click the little f at the layers palette bottom
select stroke
choose color and size
K
KatWoman
Apr 29, 2006
"KatWoman" wrote in message
"Jaime" wrote in message

Jaime

make the text
click the little f at the layers palette bottom
select stroke
choose color and size
forgot to say if you want see through text use the fill slider of the text layer on zero it will not affect the stroke fill
J
Jaime
May 1, 2006
Hi Katwoman

That worked a treat! I knew there had to be a really simple way.

Thanks a million 🙂

Jaime

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections