Posted By
Allen_Jackson
Mar 4, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Help,

I need to be able to save a psd file as a gif without the copy function! How can I do this? I have created an action to save each file as a psd, flatten the layers, and save as a gif but it will not let me do it without the copy function. If I save it as a psd and a jpg it will allow me to save without the copy function. Please advise soonest.

regards,

ALDEB

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

L
larry
Mar 4, 2004
File>Save For Web and choose GIF and select the number of colors you want the Gif to contain. Those settings are now repeatable if included in an action.

Larry Berman
AJ
Allen_Jackson
Mar 4, 2004
Thanks Larry,

Let me explain a little more. We use a custom software that opens Photoshop with Active X. When we finish the image in Photoshop we currently save it via an action as a psd and jpg and the action returns me to the custom software program. The psd and jpg files are then stored into a designated folder on my c drive. When I quit the custom software the two files moves to a different folder location. Anytime I access the same images for editing they are automatically pulled onto my c drive in the designated folder. I will then edit my image and run the action again and it saves the psd and jpg once again but it does not ask me to replace either one. When I go through the save for web function it asks me if I want to replace the two files. I do not want to have to replace the two files. I just want to save as psd and gif without having to respond to replace. Since I am wanting to switch to psd and gif instead of psd and jpg that is why I want to be able to save without the copy function for the gif. Going through the Save for Web function does not really help me accomplish what I need the way I need to do it. I am hoping this is making sense to you. Bottom line I guess is that I need to be able to save as gif without the copy function the function through the save as command.

Assistance and advice is appreicated

ALDEB
L
larry
Mar 4, 2004
I understand and wonder if there isn’t a setting that will let you rename and save, or you can save into a new folder. But if you’re starting with a Jpeg and saving as a Jpeg in Save For Web, it will ask you to overwrite the original, or if you tell it not to ask, will overwrite the original without asking.

But if you’re getting a request to save the changes when closing a file after running Save For Web (can get confusing) it’s just asking you if you want the compression settings saved with the original, and it doesn’t matter if you say yes or no if you have no need to use those settings again.

Larry Berman
AJ
Allen_Jackson
Mar 4, 2004
Larry,

The names of the files are given by the custom software as it opens up Photoshop with the Active X. I have no control over the names
of the files. In a nut shell I want to use my action to save the existing named file as a psd to keep the layers and as a gif without copy and without having to tell it to overwrite the originals.

The current action I have will do that with psd and jpg. It is when I am trying to accomplish the same thing with psd and gif is where I am running into the problem with the copy feature of the gif. Why is it mandatory to copy the gif and not the jpg?

Also, how do I tell it not to ask to overwrite the original within the action.

thanks

ALDEB
AJ
Allen_Jackson
Mar 4, 2004
Larry,

I just checked all of the save as extensions for Photoshop and the only ones out of all available that force you to copy are gif, dcs, and raw.

regards,

ALDEB
CC
Chris_Cox
Mar 5, 2004
Allen – what version of Photoshop?

Copy is normaly there because you are losing information (layers, color mode, etc.).
MM
Mac_McDougald
Mar 5, 2004
Anytime you use Save As, you are saving "as a copy". What am I missing here?

Mac
AJ
Allen_Jackson
Mar 5, 2004
Chris,

I have version 6, 7, & CS. I would prefer to use the CS as I think all of our company wants to upgrade to CS and I am testing it out. We are a worldwide company with plants in Scotland, Ireland, Netherlands, Mexico, South America and North America.

Everything works for me now when I save as psd and jpg in a action that I have created. I would just like to do the same thing with psd and gif. We will only be using the gif file for viewing in our customized software. (see post up above as to how we utilize Photoshop). In fact my action saves first as psd and then I flatten the image before it is currently saved as jpg. I would be doing the same thing when saving as a gif. The image will be flattened after saving as psd and the gif would only be used for viewing. We are a worldwide company with plants in Scotland, Ireland, Netherlands, Mexico, South America and North America.

Mac,

If you have flattened your image before you Save As the copy function can be turned off except for gif, dcs, and raw.

regards,

ALDEB

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections