LC
Posted By
Louise_Coffey
Mar 3, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’ve seen 35MM photographs with a date and time stamp at the bottom right corner of the photo. Is it possible to do this with digital photos? Possibly, some sort of batch processing – adding date and time information from the .EXIF file, preferrably as a layer?

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Louise

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

MA
Mark_Allen
Mar 3, 2004
Louise,

Type out the text you want on an additonal type layer using actions and record this. When you want to designate this to a future file just run the action and you reap the rewards of knowledge beyond measure.

Regards

Mark
MM
Mick_Murphy
Mar 4, 2004
You would probably need to use a script to do this automatically. Have a look at the link below in the Scripting Forum. It looks like it could be modified very easily to do what you want.

Larry Ligon "Copy Text From "File Info"" 1/28/04 3:52pm </cgi-bin/webx?13/0>
DR
Danny_Raphael
Mar 4, 2004
The action solution Mark suggested will work if you want to apply the same date to all images in a batch. Cheap, relatively easy and not difficult to do (once you get past 1st base).

The scripting soution Mick suggested will take the date from EXIF data (not available to actions), but if you’re not into scripting this might not be your thing.

There are 3rd party utilities (some free; most modest cost) that have this capability, but additional expense or at least a learning curve to climb.

What volume of images are we talking about? Can you get by with a fixed date for a batch or do you need to get actual date from EXIF?

~Danny~
LC
Louise_Coffey
Mar 4, 2004
I would prefer using the actual date from the EXIF file, but I’m beginning to think that I’m not going to be able to get the results I want using Photoshop 7.0. Our engineers use different types of cameras and use different settings based on what they’re photographing. Therefore, if I use a layer with the date typed in and try to overlay it on a photo, the size of the text will vary depending upon the photo’s resolution. We have 9 engineers, and the volume of images could range anywhere from 0 to 200 per day per engineer. I guess I can always go back to the camera’s software and work through one of those programs (we have Olympus Studio and Nikon Capture). I didn’t spend much time working with these programs before, since I prefer using Photoshop.
You mentioned 3rd party utilities…any one in particular that you would recommend? Or any other suggestions for Photoshop?
Thanks.
Louise
MM
Mick_Murphy
Mar 5, 2004
I’ve not done any scripting in PS until tonight but your question inspired me to check out how it could be done using VBA. Most of what you want to do would be very easy using a script – like scaling text according to the size of the document. And getting most of the file info which is stored as text and putting it on a layer is simple. But getting at the EXIF data seems to be a bit of a nightmare, especially if you are doing it for different cameras. I would not recommend it except for experienced scripters.
DR
Danny_Raphael
Mar 5, 2004
Louise:

I’m aware of these (the first of which is very popular), but have not used them personally. Check out the specifications for:

* Qimage: <http://www.ddisoftware.com/qimage/>
* DCE: <http://www.mediachance.com/dce/index.html>

~Danny~
LC
Louise_Coffey
Mar 5, 2004
Thanks for your suggestions and help. The Qimage looks good, but I haven’t been able to get the DCE to pull up (I’ll keep trying). We found another program that looks interesting – <http://www.photowatermark.com> .
Thanks again.
Louise
DR
Danny_Raphael
Mar 5, 2004
Glad to help whenever I can, which isn’t often! 🙂

Regarding DCE, try this link and navigate to the product. <http://www.mediachance.com/>

Qimage has more bells and whistles and it looks like Photowatermark does, too (I learned a new one from you!) Nice to have options!

~Danny~

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections