Scott_Brinkman
Mar 2, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
OPerating PScs (Newbie)
Windows 2000

We have a Professional Photographer taking digital pictures of parts we manufacture and then he is putting them on CD roms for me to then open, crop, resize and then save them from the LPEG that the photographer saved them at to a TIFF. That is all working just fine, THEN when I go to open the TIFF file I get the following….

"Could not complete your request because an unknown or invalid JPEG marker type is found"

NOTE: Not sure if this will matter, BUT as I mentioned, Photoshop CS has just been installed, so maybe I do not have a setting set up correctly?
So then I did go in to Corel Photo Paint to try opening it there and I got the smae error message. Any thoughts as to what I am doing wrong?

Thank you all

Scott

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

CW
Colin_Walls
Mar 2, 2004
Are you opening the files on the CD?
If so, try copying to the hard drive first?
SB
Scott_Brinkman
Mar 2, 2004
Colin, After posting I tried that, and nothing different, still the same error. Thanks any ways!

Any other thoughts?
CW
Colin_Walls
Mar 2, 2004
Actually, I just realised that I misread what you were doing …

How exactly are you saving them as TIFFs?
SB
Scott_Brinkman
Mar 2, 2004
After making the changes to my file I am going to FILE SAVE AS….and so on….Choosing TIFF and going from there, Just like I always did in PS 6.0….
CW
Colin_Walls
Mar 2, 2004
Are the JPEGs very large? Could you send me one to try?
SB
Scott_Brinkman
Mar 2, 2004
Colin, The file is not real large, I would be glad to send you one… 156.9k
CW
Colin_Walls
Mar 2, 2004
OK

colin_walls AT yahoo DOT com
L
LenHewitt
Mar 2, 2004
Scott,

In PSCS when you Save As TIFF you get several options for image compression. Do you have JPEG selected in those options? What happens if you choose No Compression or LZW instead?
SB
Scott_Brinkman
Mar 2, 2004
Collin, Thanks!

One other item I have found, and that is when I go to try to do a file save as TIF it still is saving as a JPEG and not a TIFF…..One note, the CHECK box is CHECKED when asking to USE LOWER CASE EXTENSION…. Should that be clicked or not, if NOT do I need to check / click that each time I am saving something, or can that be preferenced somewhere?

Thanks for all of your help

scott
CW
Colin_Walls
Mar 2, 2004
Scott

The case of the extensions is unimportant [in Windows].
SB
Scott_Brinkman
Mar 2, 2004
I have not been choosing any compression, all of the boxes in that window are NOT checked.

Thanks Len!

Scott

I am really baffled here cause just yesterday and several days earlier all was GREAT!
SB
Scott_Brinkman
Mar 2, 2004
Ok All! NOW I am really confused! First of all THANK you Collin for going out of your way to help me!

UPDATE! I have it now where I can…

Open the JPEG file
Crop the JPEG image
Save the JEPG image, BUT I am going to FILE SAVE AS and choosing TIFF.

What is happening is, is it is going to the JPEG saving >>commands/window
with those options (not the TIFF options). So I >>choose SAVE there and it goes to a JPERG and replaces the original >>JPEG. So ffrom there I OPEN the JPEG back up and do a FILE SAVE AS again and from here I choose TIFF again, and then it finally works. So bassically i have to do it twice to get a TIFF?

Whatssss up with that?

I did all of the "first things"

I re-booted
I re-installed
I put images from CD over to my local Hard drive….

WOW, I hope I hit it all for ya.

Thanks again for everything…..

Any ideas?
SB
Scott_Brinkman
Mar 2, 2004
Sorry for the typos guys and gals, Just *#!*& frustrated
CW
Colin_Walls
Mar 2, 2004
Could always reset prefs. That often addresses inconsistent behaviour.

Otherwise, as I said, you can send me an image and I will play …
SB
Scott_Brinkman
Mar 2, 2004
Colin, One its way…

THANKS
CW
Colin_Walls
Mar 2, 2004
Sorry Scott, I can’t break it.

I opened the JPEG, cropped and did Save As to TIFF- no prob. Then opened the TIFF OK.

Have you tried the reset prefs?
SB
Scott_Brinkman
Mar 2, 2004
Thanks Colin

I did go to EDIT and then to PREFERENCES and looked around in there but really did not see anything to really change.

Do you have any specific item to look at changing or to re-set? I am sorry if I sound really stupid, but I an totally fried right now
L
LenHewitt
Mar 2, 2004
Scott,

details on Deleting your prefs in the FAQ at the top of this forum’s Topic List
SB
Scott_Brinkman
Mar 2, 2004
Been There done that, no results…..

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections