TG
Posted By
Thomas_Geist
Mar 2, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have pictures which are grayscale JPEGs. PS CS’ Browser shows them with a Creator called w981p-77 and as Color Profile "sRGB IEC61966-2.1" is shown.

PS CS discards the color profile stating is is not valid. (I understand this, since this is a _color_ profile for a grayscale picture).

Also when PS Browser first reads this picture, a color version of it is shown (!). Shortly afterwards the correct grayscale version appears.
I believe the color version is in the pic’s thumbnail and PS then generates its own thumbnail from the JPEG’s data.

Another application (iView Media) shows a color thumbnail that even has the wrong rotation. Here I believe there is a rotation tag not correctly interpreted.

Originally this pic was done with a Nikon Coolpix 950.

Does anybody know what this creator code w981p-77 is? I’d like to know which application messed up the data to avoid this stuff in the future

Thanks for any help!

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

CC
Chris_Cox
Mar 5, 2004
No, but it sounds like the image was edited after it came off the Coolpix camera.

I’d also like to know what application to avoid….

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections