L
Posted By
letsjumpnow
Mar 2, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi! I’ve been trying to make something similar to prefuse 73’s album cover for "one word extinguisher" ( http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00008PRRJ.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg).

my biggest problems so far have been filling each character with a different color that still looks soft and semi opaque while still blending harmoniously with the pastel background color and the colors of other characters, as well as being able to select every colored bit of each character including soft antialiased pixels and changing their colors. when selecting by color range, PS excludes some grey antialiased pixels that ruin the images when they’re colored and make the images look jagged when they’re deleted.

is there a selection technique i’m overlooking, or should i try a wholly different approach? i would really appreciate the help, and i’m sure others in the future would be interested in making this kind of stuff. if anyone tries something, i’d love to see the results.

alec

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

JH
Jake_Hannam
Mar 2, 2004
Atec,

Have you tried using different layers for each separate image and then adjusting hue, saturation, layer transparency, and blur? If you use transparent layers, you can mix and match them by overlaying one over the other in a variety of ways until you get the effect you need. If you treat each piece of the graphic individually on its own layer, I think you might find it easier to make the adjustments you want. Even your pastel background color can be on a separate layer.

— Jake
O
Ol__Whozit
Mar 2, 2004
Well, Alec

You’ve now gotten the same basic response on a few different Forums. Hopefully you’ll soon realize that there is no "magic button" to quickly make the effects you want to copy. You will have to learn to use Photoshop layers, adjustments and modes, just like has been repeatedly suggested to you…

And the funny thing is, once you really learn to use Photoshop, you won’t have to ask the same question in a bunch of different Forums, you’ll know enough to understand that the answers will basically be the same, because they will cover the same tools to achieve the same goal. Just because you can do anything at least 3 different ways in Photoshop doesn’t mean any of them won’t require some skill on your part…

And good luck on getting anyone to do the effect for you and then post it. Anyone who really knows how to do it knows that you are enough of a noob for asking that you need to learn to do it yourself just as a matter of calling yourself a Photoshop User.
L
letsjumpnow
Mar 2, 2004
jake – thank you. i’ve tried putting things on different layers and adjusting each, i think it’s simply a problem with me not knowing how to adjust the colors of only colored pixels of a character – the antialiased pixels are giving me trouble though they’re essential (which means that i cant change their appearance beyond their color, excluding the possibility, as far as i know, of messing with separated layers of similar pixels). i’m trying to figure out how to change the color of the antialiased pixels while preserving their degree of lightness and/or transparency. i probably need to invest more time in the fill layer properties box, but if you have any other ideas, i’d really welcome them. sorry to be so verbose!

whozit-

posted this same topic on multiple forums all within ten minutes because i have a deadline for a scholarship contest i’m entering tomorrow. some people go to some forums and some don’t. i dont think my 10kb of space on anyone’s server is too much of a bother. i’ve been at this certain project for 6-8 hours a day since saturday and am using it as a learning experience. i dont understand the purpose of your scathing post as it’s completely deconstructive and discouraging and more of a waste of space than someone trying to learn something. oh well. i’m sorry to bother you. i suppose you can ignore me from now on.

anyway, thanks to anyone for looking and trying to help!

alec
SJ
Sandy_J
Mar 2, 2004
Jump,
I haven’t read the responses on the other forums, but the pixelation you describe may be from making selections without a feather. Try blurring and/or applying a gradient (or airbrushing) parts of a mask. Jake is right on about having every element on its own layer. Vary the opacity of each layer and choose different fill modes like normal, multiply, screen, overlay, light, color, you get the picture. Don’t try to select pixels with the magic wand. Change the hue/saturation across the entire layer. And if you do make selections, use a feather.
JM
John_Mensinger
Mar 2, 2004
alec,

I’m not really sure I understand everything you’re trying to accomplish, but your last comment about the fill dialog makes me think you’re trying to change colors by filling selections. If you do indeed have an element on its own layer, there is no need for a selection. In the Layers Palette, ‘lock’ the layer, (set it to preserve transparency), and fill with your new color…the transparency level of each pixel will be preserved.

Maybe that helps?
RT
Randy_Triplett
Mar 2, 2004
Alec,

You are welcome to post your questions anywhere you like and I hope you get answers. If Whozit has nothing better to do than complain, I guess that’s okay too, but not very helpful.

Forums are about helping each other out.

Good luck

Randy
SJ
Sandy_J
Mar 2, 2004
Randy,

Forums are about helping each other out.

So nice to meet a helpful polite person among some of these primadonnas. <‘http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb008‘>
M
Malameel
Mar 2, 2004
Yeah, some forum posters can be PrimaDonnas, oh well.

As far as the image, I hope this will be help full.

When trying to create an image like that, Ihave to to first decide what it is I am trying to achieve. Not just the look, but the final image. Once you have that, then it really does become easier. Then break down the images into their individual componnets. For instance, each face on its own layer. Then once you have your basic image, you can experiement and try different opacities to get your final image. Most do not open a blank canvas and just work.

I hope this wasn’t jibberish.
L
letsjumpnow
Mar 2, 2004
oh my!!! thank you all!! eureka!!

ive been working on this for SO LONG and after reading these and consulting the photoshop 7 bible on the subjects reccomended it looks fantastic and took no time.

select > contract then feather helped immensely, and filling with a gradient as a layer effect got rid of the antialiased pixels problem. after some opacity manipulations (it looks good to me without any different layer blending properties although ill probably mess around with them later) and gradient angle tweaks, it looks awesome. ’twas that simple. i thought i’d be lucky to get one of these done by tomorrow but now i’m considering doing a series of four!

i’d like to post them somewhere for anyone to see, but i don’t know where i could. i could probably use some asthetic suggestions from you more experienced chaps. nevertheless, thank you!

alec
SJ
Sandy_J
Mar 3, 2004
There are some free web servers out there with web-enabled uploaders so that you can create free webpages. Typing a image source code will display the jpg/gif in your post. Unfortunately the free server I used, <http://www.freeservers.com>, will no longer allow remote links, but you could link to your website (ie: <http://alec.freeservers.com)>. Could be a neat way to showcase some of your stuff for friends/family too.
B
brianmonaco
Mar 4, 2004
Have you tried playing with the alpha channels?
Try using command key or control and then clicking
the alpha channel to get a selection and then adjust
accordingly. Alpha channels are key.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections