D
Posted By
DeZZa
Mar 1, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
When will this be reality, i know so many people who thinks this is such a shame! We’re using GIMP instead.. You know www.gimp.org, which is also a good program, but it still isn’t the same, i use Photoshop at work, with our enterprise license, i’ve learned this program and i really like it more than GIMP, where GIMP you have to modify it alot before you can do all great GFX you can do with Filters in PS, plus the preview function isn’t available in all functions.

And yes, Wine DOESN’T work with Photoshop, and neither Crossover.

And yes, it could be possible to do a Dualboot, but why do this for one program, and throw away 3GB+ away, and buy a Windows version first?

Regards,
DeZZa

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

H
Ho
Mar 1, 2004
The last (only?) Unix version of PS was 2.0 or 2.5… I think.

It was not a commercial success.
DM
dave_milbut
Mar 1, 2004
osx is unix… kinda.
J
JasonSmith
Mar 1, 2004
…the ported over rich kid of Unix.
CW
Colin_Walls
Mar 1, 2004
More people use PalmOS that Linux, so I think that should be the priority. After all, my Palm is more powerful than PCs of just a few years ago …

🙂
RH
r_harvey
Mar 1, 2004
Information about running Windows applications using Wine in linux: frankscorner.org <http://frankscorner.org/>. Includes Photoshop 6, 7.
SM
Stuart_McCoy
Mar 2, 2004
Colin,

Laugh all you want but the POcketPC OS has this great little app <http://www.conduits.com/products/artist/>. It’s basically Photoshop lite for the POcketPC and mimics much of the smae functionality of PS 3/4.
RH
r_harvey
Mar 2, 2004
i’ve learned this program and i really like it more than GIMP

The Gimp <http://www.gimp.org/> 2.0, soon to ship, has many improvements, especially in the interface. It’s also the engine behind CinePaint, which means that it’s gaining support from motion picture producers, as well as Linux enthusiasts.
DM
dave_milbut
Mar 2, 2004
iirc chris has said it would be considered once the desktop wars in linux were over and they had support for all the hookie thingies (technical term) they needed. but there was no way they were going to attempt to code for and support 3 or 4 different major desktop interfaces (gnome, kde, etc.)

this is going back about a year so things may (or may not) have changed but that’s what I recall.

Tell you what, if PS were to go linux, i’d convert my license and yank the plug on my winders box in a heartbeat!
RH
r_harvey
Mar 2, 2004
Also, they tried FrameMaker for Linux back in ’99, and found that while everybody wanted it, almost nobody was willing to pay for it (information wants to be free… just ask it), and the corporate market (the folks who actually buy FrameMaker) were just starting to experiment with Linux.

So, it takes a change in the Linux culture; a lower percentage of cheapskates would help.
BB
Bert_Bigelow
Mar 2, 2004
Real Linux guys would never pay for PS in my opinion. Those people are hardcore believers in freeware. i’m not saying they’re wrong…Linux is a pretty big success based on user-contributed apps. It just seems like their culture is going to balk at paying 500+ bucks for any app.
Bert
RH
r_harvey
Mar 2, 2004
Real Linux guys would never pay for PS in my opinion.

As time passes, they become a smaller percentage of the Linux user base. They’ll pay for pizza and a T1-line, and a freezer so that they can overclock their Celery 300a to 4GHz. They’ll never pay for anything intangible. If they were the target market, IBM wouldn’t have invested a billion dollars in Linux development.

Now that IBM and Novell, movie studios, and other heavy corporations are paying for development, there’ll soon be enough regular folks who are willing to pay their way.

I’d be excited to see Adobe stuff for Linux… unless it had [De]Activation.
BB
Bert_Bigelow
Mar 2, 2004
I’d be excited to see Adobe stuff for Linux… unless it had [De]Activation.

Me too, Harv. I loved Unix…sed, awk, grep and all. (never used awk much, but loved the fact that it was an acronym for Aho, W??? and Kerninhan)
I’ve never looked at Linux very closely…wonder if it uses Bourne or C shell scripts. Bert
DM
dave_milbut
Mar 2, 2004
a lower percentage of cheapskates would help.

aye laddie!

Real Linux guys would never pay for PS in my opinion

real linux guys are rolling out on the corporate desktops… i don’t personally KNOW any, but "they" keep telling me it is so. 🙂
BB
Bert_Bigelow
Mar 2, 2004
I don’t know any either, Dave. I’m sure there are a few, but I bet they’re not in Fortune 500 companies.
RH
r_harvey
Mar 2, 2004
Lots of municipalities. Northern Europe, South America, China, Berlin, NSA Security-Enhanced Linux <http://www.nsa.gov/selinux/index.html>. Schools like Carnegie Mellon University. Wall Street banks, Amazon, Ford, General Motors, Google, IBM, Intel, Novell, SCO, Siemens, Sun… and so forth. It’s everywhere.

Global IT firm predicts Linux will have 20% desktop market share by 2008 <http://www.newsforge.com/business/03/08/13/1424212.shtml>
DM
dave_milbut
Mar 2, 2004
there you go.
D
DeZZa
Mar 2, 2004
dave milbut, anyways, this program is so great that i WOULD pay for it.

It’s such a shame!

Are you having affiliation or payment by Microsoft only to release on Win or? 🙁

Can’t be true! All big progs like 3D Studio Max and Maya have Linux versions!
RH
r_harvey
Mar 2, 2004
Yeah, Dave, it’s your fault.

…anyways, this program is so great that i WOULD pay for it

That is the general goal. Not just for a Linux version, either.

You knew that, right?
DM
dave_milbut
Mar 2, 2004
dave milbut, anyways, this program is so great that i WOULD pay for it.

me too. three, whatever. 🙂

That is the general goal. Not just for a Linux version, either.

You knew that, right?

LOL!
D
DeZZa
Mar 2, 2004
r_harvey: I don’t care.
BB
Bert_Bigelow
Mar 2, 2004
Hey, don’t get me wrong. I love Unix (linux). I hope it succeeds. MS needs the competition. But if it’s going to reach the mainstream PC user, it has to be brainlessly easy to use. And shooting yourself in the foot (rm *) has to be impossible. Unix did not believe in "Are You Sure?" Does Linux?
Bert
RH
r_harvey
Mar 2, 2004
Log-in as a Millie-Vanillie user, and it’ll watch your every move–the Hippocratic oath has full authority. Log-in as mongo-uber-admin, and you can trash whatever you please–open a can of Menudo on it, if you like.

More important is how easy it is to get started the very first time, and how easy it is to fix it when things go very, very wrong–Hanson Brothers sort of wrong.

Linux is getting better. The story behind the star is why it’ll take until 2008 before a lot of folks will be singing it.

r_harvey: I don’t care.

Oh, I just noticed your post. Well, that’ll encourage Adobe to pour money into Linux.
D
DeZZa
Mar 2, 2004
r_harvey: Well, i do care about the price, has to be the same as for Windows, and then it is ok with me.. Though prices COULD be nice if they were cheaper.. But this is indeed a great program. That is my opinion!
BB
Bert_Bigelow
Mar 2, 2004
My experience with Unix was a long time ago. You didn’t have to be a superuser to create chaos with a simple mistake back then. It just limited the scope of the damage you could do.
I’m glad to hear Linux has addressed this.
Bert
D
DeZZa
Mar 2, 2004
Bert .. One click away 😉 www.debian.org, www.gentoo.org, i might wanna check out gentoo soon! 😀 currently i’m using Debian.
SM
Stuart_McCoy
Mar 2, 2004
ummm…Discreet only has a version of 3D Studio MAX for Windows, nothing else. Some of their other software, such as Flint, Flame and Edit were written for UNIX. Combustion was released for both MacOS and Windows. Maya and Softimage are on Windows, Mac and Linux but they only support RedHat Linux.
BB
Bert_Bigelow
Mar 3, 2004
DeZZa,
Thanks…I’ll check it out. Interesting…gentoo is a kind of penguin, if I remember correctly from my Antarctica trip.
Bert
D
DeZZa
Mar 3, 2004
Bert Bigelow, cool, they must have been thinking about that name then 😉 ..

Stuart McCoy, okay, maybe i remember wrong about 3D Studio Max, why wouldn’t it be supported to normal linux xfree86 systems?
DM
dave_milbut
Mar 4, 2004
why wouldn’t it be supported to normal linux xfree86 systems?

probably for the same reasons the PS engineers mentioned. Standards across versions of the system.
O
Ol__Whozit
Mar 4, 2004
If SCO has their way, Linux will soon be paying (and in return charging) for the Unix code that makes up part of Linux. Red Hat has filed a suit to try to save themselves, but it’s only a matter of time before Linux charges just like everyone else. The only issue will then be whether the cost will be less, because of all the "free code" contained…
SM
Stuart_McCoy
Mar 4, 2004
"…why wouldn’t it be supported to normal linux xfree86 systems?"

Because Discreet (well Kinetix at the time) designed 3D Studio MAX specifically for Windows NT (at the time) to take advantage of the new architecture and the power and benefits it afforded. Prior to this their 3D software was a DOS based application. 3D Studio MAX was never intended to be a cross platform application.
DM
dave_milbut
Mar 4, 2004
no way ow. on the outside chance they (sco) do win, linus will roll back to the 2.4 kernal and start fresh.
RH
r_harvey
Mar 4, 2004
SCO is saying that code that IBM wrote, and added to two products they license(d) from SCO, then later IBM rewrote similar code (not ripped-off and reused) for Linux, belongs to SCO, not IBM. SCO never wrote any of the code; it was never part of the UNIX tree; it was not distributed by SCO; it was IBM code. And SCO has never produced evidence of the code for the courts. Novell, which sub-licensed UNIX code to SCO, is not on SCO’s side.

Yesterday, SCO also sued AutoZone and Daimler-Chrysler for using code they say was ripped-off from SCO.

Even with their backing from MS, I wonder if SCO will be able to keep enough lawyers and enough courtrooms going at the same time.
DM
dave_milbut
Mar 4, 2004
However as SCO distributed/(is distributing STILL, I think) it’s own software under the GPL, the case is moot if the court decides the GPL is legal. Flagging Morons! It’s all a pump and dump scheme for Darl & co.
RH
r_harvey
Mar 4, 2004
There’s an FTP server, run by SCO, that still distributes Linux.

That’s not "SCO" from the olden times.

* Caldera buys DR-DOS from Digital Research.
* Digital Research is bought by Compaq; Compaq is bought by HP. * Caldera sues MS for forcing DR-DOS out of the marketplace. * MS settles DR-DOS case for undisclosed sum ($150M?).
* Caldera uses MS settlement to buy Unix business from SCO. * SCO changes their name to Tarantella.
* Caldera changes their name to SCO.
* IBM Invests $1 billion in Linux.
* SCO threatens to sue anyone distributing Linux.
* MS pays SCO to help in their quest.
* Novell (who licensed Unix to the original SCO) says they won’t sue anybody for using it.

And that’s only the plot twists from the first season. It got worse. I’m waiting to get the director’s cut on DVD.
RH
r_harvey
Mar 4, 2004
MS GAVE SCO $86 MILLION DOLLARS <http://www.opensource.org/halloween/halloween10.html> to fight Linux.
D
DeZZa
Mar 7, 2004
Original wasn’t this a discuss about making an Unix/Linux version of Photoshop and not the Microsoft & SCO vs. MyDoom & Linux thread?
DM
dave_milbut
Mar 7, 2004
erm, no… wait, yes! Yes!
DM
Don_McCahill
Mar 7, 2004
What … in the Linux world thread drift never happens?
O
Ol__Whozit
Mar 7, 2004
Dezza’s question was already answered. Onward with the thread’s evolution.

This is an interesting possible "smoking gun" about MS funding the SCO lawsuit: <http://www.opensource.org/halloween/halloween10.html>
PC
Pierre_Courtejoie
Mar 7, 2004
Wow! interesting read…
RH
r_harvey
Mar 7, 2004
I liked that same article, back in post #36, too.

Note that some numbers at the end are way off (it’s in the $80 million range–and MS spent $200 million a year to kill Netscape, and $500 million per year to kick-start XBox, and so many more to lose in MSN).

Still, without the infusion of evil, SCO would likely already be dead, several times over.

It’s not really news. Even Cringely < http://www.infoworld.com/article/03/08/08/31OPcringely_1.htm l> in InfoWorld knew about $6 million last August. There’s another article, if I could find it, in which the SCO folks say that they are in the litigation business, not the software business.
RH
r_harvey
May 5, 2004
See also <http://frankscorner.org/> for how to use Windows versions of Photoshop on Linux, using Wine <http://www.winehq.com/>.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections