O
Posted By
OceanView
Apr 7, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Can anybody recommend a good book on starting a graphics/retouching business in the US? I’m not a PS expert, but I’m getting there and have a particular niche in mind and desperately need a career change since my old one seems to have moved to India. Thanks!

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

K
Kingdom
Apr 7, 2006
OceanView wrote in
news::

Can anybody recommend a good book on starting a graphics/retouching business in the US? I’m not a PS expert, but I’m getting there and have a particular niche in mind and desperately need a career change since my old one seems to have moved to India. Thanks!

Have seen a read a lot of books, some on retouching but none on starting it as a business.

Basically you’ll need a website where images can be uploaded and a payment gateway, some Indian will build this for you for pennies. LOL

‘Mirror mirror on the wall who is the prettiest of them all?’ ‘Snow White you dirty bitch and don’t you forget it!’
O
OceanView
Apr 8, 2006
Kingdom wrote in

OceanView wrote in

Have seen a read a lot of books, some on retouching but none on starting it as a business.

Basically you’ll need a website where images can be uploaded and a payment gateway, some Indian will build this for you for pennies. LOL

<g> on the Indian! That’s what I’m working on so far. I’m also working on brochures, since some of my potential customers may be computer-resistant!
Z
zarrookez
Apr 8, 2006

<g> on the Indian! That’s what I’m working on so far. I’m also working
on
brochures, since some of my potential customers may be computer-resistant!

I’m in Canada, so the situation could be slightly different. Here there are a number of courses one can take. Particularly if you are currently out of work, the government will sponsor you through a small business program (provided you qualify). I’m sure there are many private courses around too, such as at night school.
There’s always the library. The classroom is probably better though, where you have feedback and interaction.
The most important thing you will learn is that you are not working for yourself. You are working for the government (at least here). You have to keep track of and submit taxes, keep your books up to date and keep a record of damn near everything – all for the government.
There are also many online government sponsored links. These are Canadian but can still make interesting reading. I’m sure there are many more to be found.
http://bsa.cbsc.org/gol/bsa/site.nsf/en/index.html
http://www.entrepreneur.com/bizstartups
http://www.canadaone.com/tools/startingabusiness.html
Keith
O
OceanView
Apr 9, 2006
"_+arroo" wrote in
news:zJSZf.4064$:

<g> on the Indian! That’s what I’m working on so far. I’m also working
on
brochures, since some of my potential customers may be
computer-resistant!

I’m in Canada, so the situation could be slightly different. Here there are a number of courses one can take. Particularly if you are currently out of work, the government will sponsor you through a small business program (provided you qualify). I’m sure there are many private courses around too, such as at night school.
There’s always the library. The classroom is probably better though, where you have feedback and interaction.
The most important thing you will learn is that you are not working for yourself. You are working for the government (at least here). You have to keep track of and submit taxes, keep your books up to date and keep a record of damn near everything – all for the government. There are also many online government sponsored links. These are Canadian but can still make interesting reading. I’m sure there are many more to be found.
Keith

Thanks, Keith. I’ve started a few businesses, so I’m not new to that. I should probably be clearer. I’m looking for specifics about starting a graphics/reouting business. I tried this two years ago and my marketing efforts were a complete flop! I ran an a display ad in a local newspaper (circulation 130000 supposedly) and got zero responses, not even an inquiry. So before I do this again, I’m doing a little more research.

BTW, government is the same everywhere! It reminds me of Dave Barry’s column on how to find out if you have enough insurance by taking an insurance company survey:
1. How much insurance do you currently have?
2. You need more.
3. We’ll send someone right over.
I
iehsmith
Apr 9, 2006
On 4/9/06 12:15 PM, OceanView commented:

Thanks, Keith. I’ve started a few businesses, so I’m not new to that. I should probably be clearer. I’m looking for specifics about starting a graphics/reouting business. I tried this two years ago and my marketing efforts were a complete flop! I ran an a display ad in a local newspaper (circulation 130000 supposedly) and got zero responses, not even an inquiry. So before I do this again, I’m doing a little more research.

Just curious, did you get placement in a target section or page like ‘Business’? How often and for how long did it run?

What is ‘reouting’?

inez
Z
zarrookez
Apr 9, 2006
The most important thing you will learn is that you are not working for yourself. You are working for the government (at least here). You have to keep track of and submit taxes, keep your books up to date and keep a record of damn near everything – all for the government. There are also many online government sponsored links. These are Canadian but can still make interesting reading. I’m sure there are many more to be found.
Keith

BTW, government is the same everywhere! It reminds me of Dave Barry’s column on how to find out if you have enough insurance by taking an insurance company survey:
1. How much insurance do you currently have?
2. You need more.
3. We’ll send someone right over.

That’s good!
I get you. How do you attract customers to your specific business? Well. It ain’t easy. You’ll find that experience and know how mean squat. Well yes, in the long run it does, but not while attracting new business. You have to break through peoples buying habits. Often this means showing up at the right time – as in when they are pissed at their current supplier. Pretty hard to do. So you have to network. When you buy a pizza, give them a business card. Your local Chamber of Commerce is full of networking people. Direct mail is often more effective than unaddressed admail. It will cost. You have to get your name out there. Find out who your target market is. You have to get out there and do the footwork and meet people. It’s a drag. Eventually; after you’ve done 100 business cards for 100 people, you might get a decent order.

My point is that there is no sure way to success. As much as you know you can do a better job.
Most major centers have business magazines. You can try advertising in those. But really, you have to get your face in front of people. Be prepared to spend a year before making money.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections