A
Posted By
ATS
Apr 7, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I can make a transparent GIF file, but how do I do that for JPG files?

TIA,
Lee

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

DF
Derek Fountain
Apr 7, 2006
ATS wrote:

You can’t, the JPG format doesn’t support transparency.
W
Waldo
Apr 7, 2006
ATS wrote:
TIA,
Lee

JPEG doesn’t support transparency. If you need more than 256 colors and transparency, you may want to have a look to the PNG format. Photoshop handles that quite well.

Waldo
M
Mardon
Apr 7, 2006
Waldo wrote:

ATS wrote:
TIA,
Lee

JPEG doesn’t support transparency. If you need more than 256 colors and transparency, you may want to have a look to the PNG format. Photoshop handles that quite well.
Waldo

Just for the record, the "JPEG 2000" file format does support transparency and even 16 bit images, etc. It’s not a very popular file format, however, and I agree that PNG is a much better choice for most situations.
I
iehsmith
Apr 7, 2006
On 4/7/06 8:44 AM, Mardon commented:

Waldo wrote:

ATS wrote:
TIA,
Lee

Waldo

Just for the record, the "JPEG 2000" file format does support transparency and even 16 bit images, etc. It’s not a very popular file format, however, and I agree that PNG is a much better choice for most situations.

The question arises though, which apps support JPEG 2000 and PNG with their transparency, especially web browsers with/without additional scripting?
T
Tacit
Apr 7, 2006
In article ,
"ATS" wrote:

You can’t. Sorry.

The JPEG file specification does not permit transparency.

Art, photography, shareware, polyamory, literature, kink: all at http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
Nanohazard, Geek shirts, and more: http://www.villaintees.com
K
KatWoman
Apr 8, 2006
"iehsmith" wrote in message

Waldo wrote:

ATS wrote:
TIA,
Lee

Waldo

The question arises though, which apps support JPEG 2000 and PNG with their
transparency, especially web browsers with/without additional scripting?

If you are going to use the images on the internet:

PNG transparency cannot be seen with default IE browsers as yet. 85% of net viewers use IE so if you use PNG 85% of the public won’t see what you see in PS
W
Waldo
Apr 10, 2006
KatWoman wrote:
"iehsmith" wrote in message

Waldo wrote:

ATS wrote:

TIA,
Lee

Waldo

The question arises though, which apps support JPEG 2000 and PNG with their
transparency, especially web browsers with/without additional scripting?

If you are going to use the images on the internet:

PNG transparency cannot be seen with default IE browsers as yet. 85% of net viewers use IE so if you use PNG 85% of the public won’t see what you see in PS

IE doesn’t display PNG transparency when using the alphachannels. If you do it the old fashioned way (like GIF), it works.

Waldo

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections