CW
Posted By
Colin Walls
Jul 2, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Depends how big your image files are. I have 0.5Gb and a much power speed machine and I am fine. My images files are rarely >100Mb.
Free disk space is very important for PS.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

LH
Lawrence Hudetz
Jul 2, 2003
File size is only one element determining Ram usage. If you do a lot of editing, or start in 16 bit and convert to 8 bit, or need to rotate your image during editing, then 500 Meg will run out quickly. Remember that your OS will demand it’s share of Ram as well, so you really don’t have 500 Meg or 1 Gig available to PS.

Here’s an example:

My files are mostly 2 1/4 Sq. Scanning in 16 bit on the Epson 2450, at 2400 DPI uses way over 1g just to rotate twice and set end points. (History uses memory)
BL
Bill Lamp
Jul 3, 2003
Lawrence and Josh,

Thank you for those figures. It sounds like I need to add a 512 meg. chip.

Win-XP Home.

Josh, You didn’t say what OS you were using. If you are running 98-SE, there is a memory amount where you have to make registry changes to keep the machine running smoothly. (Somewhere between 512 meg and 1 gig I think)

I have no idea about ME and understand that XP is able to work with at least 1 gig without "adjustments".

Bill
TD
Thee_DarkOverLord
Jul 3, 2003
1 gig or more if you can afford it, ddr. all in one bank if posible.
JC
Josh Conley
Jul 3, 2003
Appreciate it, I will drop a couple sticks in then.
TD
Thee_DarkOverLord
Jul 3, 2003
one big stick if posible
DM
dave milbut
Jul 3, 2003
2 bigs sticks are better!
DM
dave milbut
Jul 3, 2003
I’m getting 2 512 pc3200 400mhz ddrs w/the new system. googlegear has a good deal on them too! $122/stick! free 2nd day shipping!

< http://www.googlegear.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode= 86011>
TD
Thee_DarkOverLord
Jul 3, 2003
free 2nd day shipping!

;-(

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections