CK
Posted By
Chris Keath
Jul 8, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m new to this but when sending press ready files……..how exactly does the printer send the file to the printer ? I’m curious as I sent them a bunch of Illustrator files and they send the same files back to me as Acrobat files to sign off on……….

I don’t think they would send the print job as Acrobat but if someone could enlighten me, that would be greatly appreciated.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

N
noone
Jul 8, 2004
In article ,
spam.hotmail.com says…
I’m new to this but when sending press ready files……..how exactly does the printer send the file to the printer ? I’m curious as I sent them a bunch of Illustrator files and they send the same files back to me as Acrobat files to sign off on……….

I don’t think they would send the print job as Acrobat but if someone could enlighten me, that would be greatly appreciated.

There are a myriad of ways to get files printed with ink on paper in the commercial sense. They (the printer, or rep, or design facility which will outsource the actual printing) should furnish you with a spec sheet on exactly what is required. This will differ from print shop to print shop, though much will be the same. Get this set of exact specifications and do not let them blow you off by saying, "hey, we can handle any file you send… " Make them fill in ALL of the blanks and get it in writing, i.e FAX, or e-mail, that you can print out and refer to when you output the files.

Next, the PDF that they sent you back is probably a Save_As PDF from whatever program you used (A Illustrator?). They obviously opened your files and then saved these (this) for you to comment on. Open their file(s) in AI and look carefully at them. This is your proof. You will probably never again have input, so don’t blow it. They may have notations on the PDF. Look at all of them and comment on them, using the notation function in later AI versions. Send them back, only when you are satisfied. If your comments require changes, they should be able to direct you and this is the LAST chance you might have to get all of the specs.

You might want to also proof these files and compare them to your system’s monitor. If you don’t like something, let them know, and ask what can be done. Again, this will probably the last time you see the files, before your client has a 1:00 AM press check, and the entire printing crew will be standing by with paper, ink and press time.

Good luck,
Hunt
A
arrooke
Jul 8, 2004

All they’re doing is sending you a digital proof. If it’s exactly as you need, sign off. Cause that’s what you’re going to get. Keep in mind screen colours can/will be different than printed colours.

In future, what you should do is try to provide the printer with a hard copy proof. Shitty inkjet, black & white laser – whatever. Mainly it’s to verify correct font usage and positioning of images etc.

You could also send them a PDF along with your original files. Your PDF can act as a press proof for them.
*However*, if you send them a PDF proof, make damn sure all your fonts are properly embedded. If they aren’t, they could be viewing something which isn’t correct. Just because a PDF you made looks good on your screen doesn’t mean it’s right. Before viewing your own PDF, disable any fonts you’ve used, then see if it still looks OK.

A lot of shops have a PDF workflow and will convert all files to PDF before printing.

Keith.
A
arrooke
Jul 8, 2004
"Hunt" wrote in message
In article ,
spam.hotmail.com says…

There are a myriad of ways to get files printed with ink on paper in the commercial sense. They (the printer, or rep, or design facility which will outsource the actual printing) should furnish you with a spec sheet on
exactly
what is required. This will differ from print shop to print shop, though
much
will be the same. Get this set of exact specifications and do not let them blow you off by saying, "hey, we can handle any file you send… " Make
them
fill in ALL of the blanks and get it in writing, i.e FAX, or e-mail, that
you
can print out and refer to when you output the files.

I hope this is a large order because most shops don’t have time for all this otherwise. Most decent shops can handle any file. With the usual amount of dicking around that’s necessary for customer files 95% of the time.

Next, the PDF that they sent you back is probably a Save_As PDF from
whatever
program you used (A Illustrator?). They obviously opened your files and
then
saved these (this) for you to comment on. Open their file(s) in AI and
look
carefully at them. This is your proof. You will probably never again have input, so don’t blow it. They may have notations on the PDF. Look at all
of
them and comment on them, using the notation function in later AI
versions.
Send them back, only when you are satisfied. If your comments require
changes,
they should be able to direct you and this is the LAST chance you might
have
to get all of the specs.

No shop would/should use ‘save as’ PDF. The PDF should be printed through their RIP driver for accuracy.
Never open a PDF in Illustrator if 100% accuracy is required. It can reflow. Always open in Acrobat.

You might want to also proof these files and compare them to your system’s monitor. If you don’t like something, let them know, and ask what can be
done.
Again, this will probably the last time you see the files, before your
client
has a 1:00 AM press check, and the entire printing crew will be standing
by
with paper, ink and press time.

Compare colours with your monitor only as a rough guide. Printed output is not going to match your monitor.
For accuracy, ask the printer to see a colour match proof. You’ll visit the shop for this.
If your file is prepared properly & all fonts & images are included, there shouldn’t be a problem.
Best to save files as EPS.

Keith.
MI
multiset_iii
Jul 9, 2004
In our shop, we would convert your file to PDF from
the native source.

Pre-flight the PDF to verify PDF-X3 compatability.

Sometimes we may need to double distill the file to
remove excessive boarders, flatten transparency etc.
In our shop if you send a PDF we will start with the pdf and only use the native files if we have issues or are
instructed not to.

Since we can get predictable results from this point
on we can either pull a quick proof or send a PDF to
the client for content proofing.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections