Posted By
Larry
Jul 7, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi,
I am basically doing a job where I have to match heads of people in one series of pics, taken with a Canon digital camera and then superimpose them on pics of bodies, all originally taken from a 70s magazine. It is all progressing well apart from the fact that I cannot seem to match up the ‘pattern’ that appears on the 70s pics onto the modern portrait shots. The pattern is like lots of dots or a moire effect, in other words a texture rather like when you scan a cheap magazine pic without de-screen.
I have tried the patch tool, but i am not getting a result that is good enough so I was wondering if anyone knew of a quick way I can make the two photos look texturally similar?
Many thanks in advance

MArtin C.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

PW
Pjotr Wedersteers
Jul 7, 2004
MArtin Chiselwitt wrote:
Hi,
I am basically doing a job where I have to match heads of people in one series of pics, taken with a Canon digital camera and then superimpose them on pics of bodies, all originally taken from a 70s magazine.
It is all progressing well apart from the fact that I cannot seem to match up the ‘pattern’ that appears on the 70s pics onto the modern portrait shots. The pattern is like lots of dots or a moire effect, in other words a texture rather like when you scan a cheap magazine pic without de-screen.
I have tried the patch tool, but i am not getting a result that is good enough so I was wondering if anyone knew of a quick way I can make the two photos look texturally similar?
Many thanks in advance

MArtin C.

Have you got a link to an example of how it looks now ?
Have you tried Healing Brush and Clone stamp as well ?
MR
Mike Russell
Jul 7, 2004
MArtin Chiselwitt wrote:
Hi,
I am basically doing a job where I have to match heads of people in one series of pics, taken with a Canon digital camera and then superimpose them on pics of bodies, all originally taken from a 70s magazine.
It is all progressing well apart from the fact that I cannot seem to match up the ‘pattern’ that appears on the 70s pics onto the modern portrait shots. The pattern is like lots of dots or a moire effect, in other words a texture rather like when you scan a cheap magazine pic without de-screen.
Many thanks in advance

MArtin C.

Find a relatively flat area that contains the "moire" , select it, and define a pattern. Clean it up a bit with levels, and use the Offset filter to make it self-wrapping. You may get a clearer pattern from an individual channel, or from L channel of Lab or the K channel of CMYK.

Create a new layer over the un-patterned image, fill that layer with the pattern, and experiment with the best layer blend mode to superimpose it – probably lighten, darken, or screen. Experiment also with transparency, and the layer blending sliders.

Mike Russell
www.curvemeister.com
www.geigy.2y.net
L
Larry
Jul 7, 2004
Thankyou very much Mike… I am trying out ur advice right now.. Sounds pretty much bang-on what i need though!
will let you know how I progress in a short while

m.c .
Find a relatively flat area that contains the "moire" , select it, and define a pattern. Clean it up a bit with levels, and use the Offset filter to make it self-wrapping. You may get a clearer pattern from an individual channel, or from L channel of Lab or the K channel of CMYK.
Create a new layer over the un-patterned image, fill that layer with the pattern, and experiment with the best layer blend mode to superimpose it – probably lighten, darken, or screen. Experiment also with transparency, and the layer blending sliders.
L
Larry
Jul 8, 2004
Yup, it’s a winner!

Thanks Mike, I now have some excellent and almost flawless montages,

🙂

mc

MArtin Chiselwitt wrote:

Thankyou very much Mike… I am trying out ur advice right now.. Sounds pretty much bang-on what i need though!
will let you know how I progress in a short while

m.c .

Find a relatively flat area that contains the "moire" , select it, and define a pattern. Clean it up a bit with levels, and use the Offset filter
to make it self-wrapping. You may get a clearer pattern from an individual
channel, or from L channel of Lab or the K channel of CMYK.
Create a new layer over the un-patterned image, fill that layer with the pattern, and experiment with the best layer blend mode to superimpose it –
probably lighten, darken, or screen. Experiment also with transparency, and
the layer blending sliders.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections